A16 Ultra and Pulsar 2 question - Z-Lync plate?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mano

Post by mano »

from creamware.com
"with two ADAT interfaces and two Z-Link interfaces for system interfacing"

ok... I have a Pulsar II but I don't have the two Z-Lync connectors on it. Will I be able to use all of the 16 simultaneous I/Os of the A16Ultra if I connect it to my Pulsar II using the two ADAT connectors?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am considering an A16Ultra and want ot plan in advance if I need to also get a Z-Lync plate (if this is even possible).
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yes, each ADAT port carries 8 channels, of up to 24bit, 48khz audio. This means you can use all 16 channels of I/O, on all Pulsar cards.

Zlink port carries 8 channels of I/O, at 24bit, 96khz.

S/MUX carries 8 channels of 24bit, 96khz audio over 2 ADAT ports - so for S/MUX, you'll need 4 ADAT I/Os, and a Pulsar 2 card... S/MUX is also an additional option ($$) for the A16 Ultra (at least for more than 8 channels).

Hope that helps, and remember, working at 96khz takes proportionally more DSP, so 'normal' ADAT should be fine.
mano

Post by mano »

you rock

allright, so if I work in 48Khz I will be able to use 16 I/Os simultaneously without Z-Link plate... nice.

good good

now..

Will I be able to also work in 44.1Khz, is it supported by ADAT as well or is it automatically 48?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

yes no problem
mano

Post by mano »

Wonderful.

Can you tell me if a Z-Link upgrade is available for Pulsar II in order to add 2 Z-Link connectors *if one day* I feel like having 16 I/Os at 96Khz?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

You would have to change your I/O plate on your Pulsar2 card for the Zlink I/O plate, I don't believe it is available as an expansion.

Zlink plate: 2xZlink, 1xADAT, spdif, analog, midi. Costs the same as "Plus" plate.

Another option is a Luna+ADAT expansion, as the Luna will have one Zlink, and the ADAT expansion plate adds a second Zlink (along with 2xADAT i/os as well).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-11-26 11:21 ]</font>
mano

Post by mano »

Ah I see!

well its good to know, thanks for the details. For now I will work in 44.1Khz anyway.

take care subhuman, come by http://www.FutureProducers.com sometimes if you feel like discussing about non-pulsar topics.

thanks again

-mano