Digital mixer with ADAT *OR* A16 Ultra and fader box *OR* bo

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mano

Post by mano »

Digital mixer with ADAT *OR* A16 Ultra and fader box *OR* both?

OK soon I am going to reorganize my studio (get a decent desk, get the stuff i need, etc..).

I've always wanted to get myself a Yamaha 01V with ADAT to plug to my Pulsar BUT now there is this A16 Ultra I/O box.. What do you think?

I think if I get the A16 Ultra, I'll use it for all my I/O's, and can grab one of those PEAVEY 1600x controller to "feel" the mixer... But since the mixer and effects are basically the pulsar, I won't beed to get a digital mixer anymore right?

I wish Creamware had a control-surface for the PulsarMixer, with automation etc.. it'd be super sweet (and would be a big competition to ProTools at last). For now the Peavey will do I guess.

Post your thoughts! I am curious to see what you say.
MeloManiac

Post by MeloManiac »

I am planning to buy a Tascam DM-24 - new digital mixer with ADAT, 16 analog ins, TC Works and Antares Mic Modeler efx, motorised and touch-sensitive faders with full automation. About $2400...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

01v is nice, 03D is even better, Spirit 328 best. :smile: The Tascam Melo mentions looks pretty nice, you might check that, also used 02Rs are starting to appear for decent prices, as "newer" 24/96 mixers hit the market.

I too am toying with the idea of replacing my 03D with the A16 Ultra, and maybe Logic Control. But such a change would be pretty major, so I'll be playing with the A16 Ultra for awhile first, and reading everything I can about Logic control. It's definitely an interesting idea, although it is a relatively new way of working, so I'll probably wait this out and see... I will obviously be posting A16 Ultra experiences shortly after the US gets in the first shipment of 'em, which should be soon!
mano

Post by mano »

good good :smile:

I think I'm going to get the A16 Ultra and the Peavey 1600x controller for now... The only thing I will really miss is the automation on the faders. I think since there is a mixer on the screen (PulsarMixer) I don't need a hardware one but rather control the virtual one...

So.. that's $1000 US for the A16U (hopefully someone will sell it cheaper) + $400 for the Peavey fader box (if you know where ot get it cheaper let me know) = $1400 (at most).

Of course i havent bought those things yet, just planning for it... Probably around end of february... can't wait :smile: Im also getting a proteus 2500, a midex8 interface and a decent master keyboard. Im sure you know how it feels like :smile:

-mano
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

I have a spirit 328 and its awesome, works great as a control surface but if you have the chance check out the ramsa they allow auxs' and eq's through the fat channel as a control surface. As for the DM24 looks cool but I had a Tm-d1000 for a bit and the mic pre's are pretty bad, I doubt with the cost of all the other stuff in the dm24 that they upgraded to better mic pre's. Interesting note though, the DM24 uses AD SHARC's so nothing new there. . .my $.02