Steinberg MIDEX 8 MIDI interface with Pulsar?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mano

Post by mano »

Anyone here know if there is any known issue in using a MIDEX 8 interface with the Pulsar? I know that I will not be able to drag and drop those I/Os in my project (a shame if you ask me, let me know if I am wrong here though), but can I still use all 8 ports to their full extend, and take advantage of the LTB protocol? I work in Cubase VST.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Just run Cubase's Setup MME, activate the ports. I do not use any of Pulsar's Ports directly via Cubase, I route trough my Unitor AMT8 Patchbays. (got 2pc's, 2 AMT8's, 2 Pulsar's)
mano

Post by mano »

ok now i think i get it... basically MIDEX 8 talks to cubase first, and then if you want some of the tracks to control Pulsar synths you select the output of some tracks to go to pulsar.. right?

makes sense.
more posts, more feedback! This knowledge is appreciated!

:smile:
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Yep, choose Pulsar´s software MIDI ports for it´s synths and the MidEx outputs for every external connection to outboard equipment.
mano

Post by mano »

thank you for confirming. perfect!

now I still have to resolve the I/O&fader issue. I posted another thread about it :smile:
krass

Post by krass »

Hi,

I don't use the software ports for the Pulsar anymore, as their timing is significantly worse then when driving the Pulsar by it's hardware midi inputs via the Midex-8. This way, the synths on the Pulsar profit from the LTB protocol in the same way as the rest of my midi rig.

Run some timing tests, and you will come to the same conclusion.

Regards,

KrasS
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

Just can confirm what krass said.
I also use only the hardware Midi-inputs together whith MIDEX 8 because of the LTB advantage.
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" Agent Smith

<a href="http://www.eurocide.com">www.eurocide.com</a>
mano

Post by mano »

oooooooh NOW i understand! Krass i saw you posting this before but I wasn't getting it :smile:

So you actually have 2 MIDI cables (real, not on the screen) going from the physical connectors of the Pulsar to one of the MIDEX8 ports?

.. and you control the pulsar just like any of your other "external" devices?

.. so in Cubase VST you'd choose let's say MIDEX OUT 1 to actually control the Pulsar.. like a rack... nice!

Interesting!
krass

Post by krass »

That's indeed the trick...

Happy sequencing!
mano

Post by mano »

thanks again