18v ac can i use 15v ac

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

thermos

Post by thermos »

the power supply to my preamp is broke, its 18v ac, I have an extra 15v ac power supply. Do I risk ruining the preamp or the power supply by using the 15v until i get a new 18v.

Iv been in every relevant store in my hometown and noone has a 18v power supply in store. And i need to record something really urgent.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thermos on 2005-05-18 14:23 ]</font>

Post by Guest »

The voltage difference won't damage the unit as you are feeding less voltage than required. but it may not be enough to power the unit properly

check the amps difference.
astroman

Post by astroman »

no problem - the 15V is most likely to be even more than 18V anyway (if you measure it), because under load the voltage will drop.
Your preamp has internal power stabilizers which usually cover a broad range, no need to be exact here.

The stabilizers operate best at a 3V higher input level than finally needed, if you feed them too much they simply produce more heat.
If the input is too low, the regulators get noisy, you'll hear a hum then.

cheers, Tom
BingoTheClowno

Post by BingoTheClowno »

Check the plug's polarity first of all. The original power supplies sometimes offers better voltage filtration if designed for audio devices.

Never mind, you mentioned it's an AC power supply.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BingoTheClowno on 2005-05-18 15:26 ]</font>
thermos

Post by thermos »

thanks, that really made my day.

im suppose to do some music for a wedding and i had no way to record. hoppfully, it all works out now.
emzee

Post by emzee »

Let Us Play