Vocoder III??

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

While I've got the vocoder disease, I'm wondering what happened to the vocoder in V3 software? There's a preset file for vocoderIII but I don't see the device anywhere. Did I trash it by any chance? I'm saying this because Vocoder II just doesn't have enough bands to implement my recent analysis of my own voice. I thought maybe 5 more bands should do it..
I checked creamware and Vocoder III isn't in any of their packages.. did they trash it? They've got a picture of what's obviously some sort of vocoder in the propack.. What's going on? I must have missed something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2001-11-01 06:37 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I thought that the vocoder III was in the 'synth' subfolder of the 'devices' page, but I may be wrong. Have you used that free vododer floating around? it is either here or in the steikenleighter (sp?) pages . . . pretty muffin' kewl. . .
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

The Vocoder for ver. 3 is now called Vocoder III (surprise, surprise), and I believe it's in the effects drop down folder (not at my machine right now).
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Aww.. the 'effects' dropdown eh... what a nice place to hide it..
never knew vocoding was an effect..
I'd say it's a synth.. no? Oh well, thanx a lot for the tidbit.. it would have been a couple of weeks 'till I would have found it myself.
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

How about a compromise, calling it a 'synthetic effect' ? :wink:

Whatever it is, good luck with it :smile:

Cheers
Stubbe
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2001-11-01 08:40, kensuguro wrote:
Aww.. the 'effects' dropdown eh... what a nice place to hide it..
never knew vocoding was an effect..
I'd say it's a synth.. no? Oh well, thanx a lot for the tidbit.. it would have been a couple of weeks 'till I would have found it myself.
This Vocoder is an effect, as the inputs make the output. SIn&AIn are required. It's a kind of a filter - modulator. There are Vocoders with their own 'synth'source, but Pulsar's isn't. You can choose what you input.
New in VocoderIII is that you need midi on it. It uses notes to 'permit triggering of an internal amplifier envelope'.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
at0m

Post by at0m »

What's a Vocoder?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atomic on 2001-11-06 18:56 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Though I am pretty comfy with how this thing works, thanx for the info anyway. The kindness of this community always surprises me. :smile:

Using MIDI inputs for vocoder's internal processing seems very logical.. Not so much the amplitude ENV but I wished you could morph between different matrix setups using the note number. Simply, as long as the matrix remains static, the vocoder has a fixed range.. From my most recent analysis, the harmonic content/ratio of the singing voice changes quite drastically depending on what zone I'm singing in...
(obvious comparison but I needed the numbers) And for most accurate results, the matrix should change as much as my voice changes.

I should do a noise test just to make sure the vocoder is producing the right filter contours... It'll be a great way to tweak the Q factor too.

Anyway, the search continues... AFTER I finish this stupid scoring job I got.. which is pretty far from all this electro talk. It's really tough to have a personal project in pending while doing something totally different for work... Oh well, everyone's gotta make a livin'. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2001-11-07 15:00 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2001-11-07 14:58, kensuguro wrote:
Using MIDI inputs for vocoder's internal processing seems very logical..
... It's really tough to have a personal project in pending while doing something totally different for work... Oh well, everyone's gotta make a livin'. :smile:

by: kensuguro on 2001-11-07 15:00
a) Voco2 didn't use midi triggering and
b) of course Pulsar is more fun compared to what we do for living :razz:

atomic.