Funny Things Happen

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Tony B

Post by Tony B »

Interesting question. I have a situation here with two different motherboards. One is a Gigabyte and the other an Asus. The thing is I have a particular Luna Card that is being only detected in the PC with the Gigabyte board when I put the card into the Asus board it cannot function. I get Board is not installed. This is very frustrating. I have an older Luna 2 board which functions in both my PCs. I don't know if it is the slots or the chipset on the board which I doubt. I had the first card repaired once. I don't want to believe it is broken again. I hardly ever use that card.
valis

Post by valis »

Sounds more like dirty PCI connectors (on the slots or the card). 99% alchohol or Caig DeOxit gold.
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

As I said I have two cards. I changed them around to verify that. I thoroughly cleaned the contacts and the same thing happened. There is something going on with some of those motherboard slots and those cards.
astroman

Post by astroman »

probably not much help - but yesterday my SFP came up with: 'hardware version I dunnowhat detected - need update blah' when I had removed the cards from the machine... :roll:
would you trust a software, a mobo or an OS under such conditions ?
It doesn't have to be CWA's fault, it could be nevertheless... A rule of thumb says 'electronics either break in the first couple of weeks or never'
A once repaired board is suspective by itself, but the error could as well be somthing the BIOS of that special mobo, something in the OS or in SFP's low level interface to the BIOS stuff or any combination.

cheers, tom
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

The motherboard the card is working on is about 5 or 6 years old. The newer board is about 3 years. I have the latest BIOS update. I just have to leave that card in that machine a P 111 866 and use it forever.
astroman

Post by astroman »

see my posts under MSI in problems forum ... :wink:
oops - TechTalk :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2005-05-05 13:44 ]</font>
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAHH. I cleaned the trouble card with a metal polish called AUTOSOL a German product. The system saw the card. Yes my two Scope Home. 6 DSPs but no sound from the other card. I had to connect the Dest and Source Analogue for the problem card, remove the in and out cables from the other card and put them into the trouble. Everything is playing correct now. I am trouble shooting further.
garyb

Post by garyb »

are you using an s/tdm cable to connect the two cards?(important!)
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

Yes I am using an S/TDM cable. I used to have one card connected to the mixer and get in and out from both of them.