Good synths for widest range of sounds

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

I have around 300-350 euro to spend for Xmas and was thinking of getting a couple of Zarg synths but what should I get - there are so many? Solaris 3 is definately on the list but I was wondering about also adding one or two from the following:

RD modules
Red Dwarf EX
Ambient
Dark Star

or non Zarg - Profit 5?

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has experience with these could advise me - I want to spend wisely so there is no point in getting say the Profit 5 or Ambient if Solaris can do everything they can already so I'm looking for what would give me the broadest sonic pallete to choose from (since sound design is more my thing). My initial choice would be for the RD modules and Ambient (as I like the old Waldorf synths) but don't know about the others like EX and Dark Star or if Ambient is too close to solaris to make it worth it.

Feel free to suggest others if you want too :smile:

ta

(I already have Vectron, B2000, Minimax, Modular 3 and Flexor)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kymeia on 2004-12-04 17:16 ]</font>
caleb

Post by caleb »

If it were me, I would get Solaris and the RD Modules.

Then I'm not so sure I'd buy another synth.

Solaris seems to me a beast of a synth and sometimes you don't want a beast. But you already have Minimax which is a high quality, less complicated synth. It seems fairly immediate which is something you really need sometimes.

Is there anything else you're setup is really missing at the moment - some high quality effects for example? Vinco, Optimax, something from Sonic Timeworks perhaps?
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

I'm not really sure if I need effects. I don't usually bother with mastering effects and although I like sound mangling effects I'm pretty well covered having Interpole, all the Flexor stuff (and Reaktor). I could possibly use a decent reverb but I'd still rather get something to make sounds.

Apparently John Bowen has a Prophet 5 clone too called Prophet Plus - so now I'm wondering what the differences are between this and Profit 5 - maybe I'll get one of those plus Solaris and maybe if I have enough the RD modules too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kymeia on 2004-12-04 20:52 ]</font>
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

JB's Prophet Plus has some more nifty features like aftertouch, velocity options, and sample osc's than the Profit-5. However, the Profit-5 is based on the P5 Rev-2 which used SSM chips, and the Prophet Plus is based on the Rev-3 CEM chips, which are considered by some to be not as "good." I'm sure that's subjective. Solaris, of course, has everything the Prophet Plus has, plus more. You could get Solaris (which is awesome!!!!) and the Profit-5 for a really punchy analog sound. I haven't tried the Profit-5 myself so I can't really tell you if it sounds any better for real. Maybe somebody else could offer their thoughts?

By the way, don't forget to check out some of the free plugins here on PlanetZ (I've made quite a few myself!). :smile:

Have lots of fun and musical enjoyment,

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
decimator

Post by decimator »

I've got " only " Solaris, RD modules, Proph@t, Python Pro so I can't comment on the others ...
Proph@t is no longer sold, you can listen here to a small presets showdown I did hastily of Prophit 5 " vs " Proph@t : http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &forum=5&0

Prophit 5 sounds extremely good but largest sonic palette ? not for me however for later a must have ...

If you buy Red Dwarf EX, you have the RD modules included.

Python Pro ... I don't care too much about the nice and cute physical modelling capabilities but it can do a pretty large spectrum of mayhem sounds, wild FX and angry growling tones, that's mainly how I use it ! :lol:

Consider and test the Wavelenght bundle for later if you go overbudget this time : http://www.track0.com/wavelength/devices.html

Sooo ... Solaris ( absolutely required + ??? )
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

On 2004-12-05 02:09, Shayne White wrote:By the way, don't forget to check out some of the free plugins here on PlanetZ (I've made quite a few myself!). :smile:
oooh freebies :smile: - what are the ones to look out for?

thanks
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

I would have thought that you would be able to "clone" any synth if you had the Solaris and RD modules alone... it would just be a case of knowing the structure of the synth you are trying to emulate!

so would you need anything else?.....
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Well I guess you could clone any 3rd party synth/fx using the modular III given enough time..?
decimator

Post by decimator »

I think the third parties took precautions that in most cases you can't clone with the modular, furthermore a clean GUI ( with pages sometimes ) is way more pratical than plenty of hanging wires everywhere with at times the patch bigger than the screen ( real pain to move constantly what's needed in sight )

And also, for instance, Solaris has 10 pairs of oscillators that you can turn on and off, in the modular you can't do that to save DSPs.

I see no competition between the synths I have and the modular, each one has its territory ...
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Considering that you already have FleXor (and
M III?), and you are looking for a wide spectrum synth, check this patch I made with at0mic, it's the flexor reproduction of a Minimoog plus the ability to xy morph between all the waveforms in each of the 3 oscillators.
It's a quite fat monster...

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=15&7
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

Thankyou - this looks cool (and yes I have mod III)