How is the CreamWare products sound quality (objectively)?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

witchstar

Post by witchstar »

Hi,
I'm considering going Pulsar.
My main question is how is the sound quality?
I don't mean of the converters, but rather of the effects, the instruments, and also the mixer. How is it's channel summing sound quality?
Any feedback GREATLY appreciated!
Regards,
Mark
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Extremely high quality, extremely clean, precise and 'clinical' sound for the Creamware-produced DSP devices.

Some of the third party developers have managed to get more organic sounds from the platform, as well, but the overall sound of Pulsar is very clean. I really like it that way, if I want anything else I can use outboard analog or tube equipment to get those tonalities.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I guess I should also mention the new Zarg stuff contains some custom atoms created by the DSP programmers at Creamware Germany; the Prophet Plus is one of the nicest sounding VAs I've heard -- holds its own against a Q or Virus, and the oscillators/filters sound a lot more organic than earlier CW synths, the sound of the "platform" is constantly evolving.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Very subjective topic this! Your best bet is to get someone to demo it for you so you can make your own mind up.
What sold me on the product was the amazing flexability. I mainly do audio production with real bands and not much synth stuff at all and for this purpose the pulsar works very well. As for the quality, I've found it's pretty much up to the operator. The pulsar itself is capable of very high quality productions but it's not a system for people expecting to hit a "studio magic" button. You gotta work at it like anything else.

Good Luck,
Stuart.
witchstar

Post by witchstar »

subhuman & bassdude,
Thanks for your input... I really appreciate it. I know it's a subjective topic, which is why the more people who give their opinion, the better picture I get!
I have heard now from Subhuman and a few others that the DSP instruments have excellent sound quality.
I haven't really heard anything yet about the sonic quality of the mixers and the channel summing...
I have heard a rumor about the CreamWare effects quality being somewhat mediocre, although I know there are a lot of 3rd party developers out there making some really good stuff (like EarlyFirst).
Anybody else care to humor me here with a few seconds of your mind?
Gracias,
Mark
minipax

Post by minipax »

being a hardware dude,i never really expected software to be able to compete in any way with my supernova an drum machines...but the 2 hours that i got from my pulsar 2 blew my socks off! the sounds are just amazing,the drum machine on the mudular has a fierce punch and the Poison synth left me speechless,very high quality!

the only down side is that the card stopped working and now i can't do anything with it,it's pissing me off to the extent that i just want the sell the bloody thing and not have to worry about it.

i wouldn't be so angry but the 'customer support' at creamware is non existent,i emailed them and they never replyed.that's really big thank you for paying a grand for their product isn't it??

this forum is very helpful though and it's probably the only support you'll get if something does go wrong....
witchstar

Post by witchstar »

Minipax, are you talking about Creamware Germany? If you haven't already tried, you should try the North American support in Canada. Paul is the head guy in tech support there, and he's a good dude.
Also, I think they're at NAMM at the moment, so try them next week. I can't imagine Paul blowing you off completely!
Thanks for the input, and good luck!
I have a Supernova keyboard too, and I'm in love with it's sound, so your input means a lot to me.
Thanks again,
Mark
minipax

Post by minipax »

oh,ok...i'll try and email in a few days then.glad i could help!
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

And some dealers offer quite excellent support to their customers, so it also depends on where you buy your hardware. Creamware Germany gets a ton of email from all over the world, and I have always(!) received a response, even if it took 2 or 3 weeks. North American support on the other hand, is extremely quick. :smile: