ASIO module question

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mythalethe

Post by mythalethe »

Is using the 24bit ASIO intervace with CUBASE noticeably better than the regular module? Are there drawbacks to 24bits?

thanks,

mythalethe
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

<i>Is using the 24bit ASIO intervace with CUBASE noticeably better than the regular module? </i>

Depends on your ears and monitor setup I guess, but there is 33% more bits per sample. :smile:

<i>Are there drawbacks to 24bits? </i>

The only drawback is it takes more space to store more data, and that you will also therefore get less tracks if you run at 24bit.

If your target platform is ultimately 44.1khz CD format, then it might be best to work at that sample rate to avoid sample rate conversion, and use 24bit. Dithering to 16bit is less harmful to your audio than an SRC. Some people might have other reasons for working in different sample rates, like 96Khz for DVD, but remember higher sample rates also take proportionally more DSP.
at0m

Post by at0m »

WinXP or Pulsar cause the combination of XP/Pulsar to do 16bit max.

XP implementation limit or lack of Pulsar drivers?

Not really waiting for 24/32bit, but I was wondering so I ask...
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Isn't 24bit ASIO avaiable? I though it was only 24bit WAV that wasn't available?
at0m

Post by at0m »

no 24, nor ASIO nor wav :grin:

the modules are still in the folders, by default, after installation. i delete the ones from the cards i don't have and the ones that are not supported anyhow...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio