Problems with Ableton 8 Intro

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

topshit

Problems with Ableton 8 Intro

Post by topshit »

Hey guys!

In Ableton 8 Intro i only can use 4 extern instruments, so yesterday i try to render one of my scope instruments, my kick me too basedrum. It doesnt work and sound terrible. i try to render/bounce and i try to freeze and than export to audio and nothing works. Is there a way or do i need scope 5.1 cause of ableton works in 32bit or do i need the pow dither wich was not included in ableton intro?

Thanks for helping !!!

Mischa
ChrisWerner

Re: Problems with Ableton 8 Intro

Post by ChrisWerner »

Do you bounce in realtime?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Is the sound very distorted and broken up?

Check the settings in Preferences > Audio, for the VST plug-in buffer size. Set it to be "Same as ASIO". Since Ableton can choose a very small buffer here, it is too small to communicate to the XTC instrument and back. This fixed a problem for me. You can also select the "Direct Mode" so the audio never comes back into Ableton, depending on your use.
topshit

Post by topshit »

Thanks for your answers!

No, i did not bounce in realtime.

The sound is no basedrum anymore, it was high frequent with no bass and its only one sound and not four basedrum kicks. Try all your tips tomorrow and maybe it will work (tonight i have to work).

Thanks! i send a message after testing!

Mischa
garyb

Post by garyb »

that sounds like something with low frequency is out of phase with the rest of the project.
topshit

Post by topshit »

Hey garyb!
What did you mean with out of phase? Ableton works with 32bit and my scope plugs with 16bit. I use the scope version 4.5. This i forgot to write, maybe its interesting for my problem.

cheers,
Mischa
garyb

Post by garyb »

phase is about the sound wave, a wave of air.

if the top of one wave is at the same time as the bottom of another, they cancel.

you'll need to do some reading...
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

topshit wrote:
No, i did not bounce in realtime.

Mischa
Try that.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

You HAVE to bounce realtime:)
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

even though it's in your computer, Scope is external HARDWARE as far as the sequencer is concerned. there's no way to do an offline bounce which would be calculated by the cpu. as you're being told, if you bounce, it must be realtime.
topshit

Post by topshit »

O.K. Thanks for the message!
Bouncing realtime means routing my kick me too kickdrum (midi) to an audio channel in ableton.

@garyb: Yes you`re right, i have to read a lot. But this was a problem of my english. In german i know what phase is.

Thanks from a scope and ableton noob!

Mischa
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I think we used to refer to it as 'recording' in the old days...
garyb

Post by garyb »

topshit wrote:O.K. Thanks for the message!
Bouncing realtime means routing my kick me too kickdrum (midi) to an audio channel in ableton.

@garyb: Yes you`re right, i have to read a lot. But this was a problem of my english. In german i know what phase is.

Thanks from a scope and ableton noob!

Mischa

it's always a good idea to record virtual instruments and external midi instruments to audio before mixing.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Mr Arkadin wrote:I think we used to refer to it as 'recording' in the old days...

:D
topshit

Post by topshit »

"it's always a good idea to record virtual instruments and external midi instruments to audio before mixing."

Exspecialy for me with my pentium 4 (grrrrmpf)

O.K. back to the roots, i don`t have to miss my small hardware studio. Now it`s in my computer!

cheers ,
Mischa
topshit

Post by topshit »

Now i bounced realtime my basedrum: the timing is not useable. A kickdrum i can quantisize but what about a track with for exsample a delay?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

You can either push the MIDI track that is sending info back in time, or the audio record track forward in time. At the right of the Ableton mixer, there are a few buttons (to enable cross-fading, inputs, sends, and more for each channel.) Enable all of them. At the bottom of a track you should see a time to control Track Delay (0.00 probably). You want to make that a positive or negative number until your tracks are aligned.

Here's a really good Sound-on-Sound article on everything you need to know about controlling the MIDI end of things:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/a ... h_0207.htm

I would push MIDI track until it sounds right *while playing live*. Then push the audio recording/freeze track delay until it sounds good recorded. If you go into preferences > audio, you can see what the input and output delay time is for the ASIO interface. Use those are starting numbers when setting the Track Delay.
topshit

Post by topshit »

Thanks for your answer!
I must discribe a little better. My problem is not the start of my recorded basedrum. My problem is somthing like that : one kick is in time the next is to early and the second is to late. The midi timing befor recording it is perfect. The audio sample after recording is like my discribtion.

cheers,
Mischa
garyb

Post by garyb »

midi timing can't be tighter than the recording. the recording is just a record of what happened with the midi track. it doesn't do things on it's own.

if it is, there's something strange in your setup. post a screenshot of the project used to record the kik.
topshit

Post by topshit »

Thanks garyb!
I post it tomorrow, now i`m at work. I think you mean the xtc project file.