alfonso`s unison

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

hifiboom

alfonso`s unison

Post by hifiboom »

I have the great unison mod module from alfonso.

Is it possible to add an ´detune slider to this device? to change tha amount of unison? :-?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Since it is MIDI it could possibly work. I use to play along w/ a 360 Bass module back in '85 that had the Oberheim, Moog, Taurus, and the Jerry Seinfeld " Slap Bass " sounds. I would copy the tracks 2 times, and then remerge them @ different clocks, f.e. say the original note is 0, then -5, and +5 would be added. This works exactly in the same way. It fattens up the sound very nicely, but I never had the ability to detune each instance. I could have been a contender if I would have pulled that off. Since I had 512 ppq to play with on my hardware sequencer, I would use that trick on horn sections, bass tracks, etc. And even a useless, but neat sounding MIDI digital delay.

Let Me Know What You Find Out, As Every Modular Patch I play with has this effect.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

scope4live wrote:Since it is MIDI it could possibly work.
I think the fact that it is a MIDI effect (and not a true Unison effect) would actually prevent it from working. At the moment the device simply sends multiple midi messages, each very slightly delayed from the last (of necessity as MIDI is a serial protocol).
I don't think you could get it to send MIDI signals which say 'Send the first note on middle C, the next down a fraction of a semitone, the next up a fraction of a semitone' as MIDI (afaik) only supports whole tone intervals. And if you could get it to somehow detune the whole device, then every note would get bent at the same time.
You could probably get it to add more or less of a delay between each repeated note, but the results would be fairly random depending on the frequency and shape of the note played, rather than an incremental detune effect.
I could be wrong about all of this, but those are my early morning thoughts.

Ben
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

you are right

there is a different thread that is more precise:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22109