New Mobo

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

bizarre

New Mobo

Post by bizarre »

Hi
I know the question has been asked a zillion times, and I've already read some of the answers ...
but since I'm self taught when it comes to computers ..... I'll better ask again ;)

I'm planning on robbing a bank (AKA borrow a lot of money) and build (my neighbor is a wizz) a new mobo.

I'm working on a project making music for some movies. I will not have to edit the movie, but I'm planning on importing it in Nuendo and have it running to see if the music sync's up perfectly to the moves (sorry about my English)

The plan is to use max 2500 euro ....

I'm having an old 4 DSP card ... I'm thinking of buying a 6DSP card as well ... these two can work together and give me 10DSP right?

And what motherboard to buy - dual core processor? and and and .... what else??? cooler ....
you tech guys are always mumbling something about the north and south bridge .... and I have no clue what you are talking about.

Would it be wise to stay with XP or move to win7?

From my ol' mobo I think I can use only my two harddrives, WD Black Caviar and my DVD burner ...

Any advise appreciated - the first movie has premier date April 30 (it's a 3 minutes film for a dancefestival)
and since it's a dance project it's essential that my music follows the dancers moves .... I gotta use English some more ....

Best regards
Carsten
outsounder

Re: New Mobo

Post by outsounder »

I recently bought Kontakt and upgraded to Cubase 5 and my old P4 was on it's knees trying to run it, so i decided to upgrade my mobo and cpu,so I emailed Scope and asked them for advice.

They actually they gave me quite a comprehensive spec for a new build which was :-

Asus P5Q E Mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (i got the Q8300, strangley it was cheaper although it's a bit faster!)
Asus/ATI 512Mb Silent/fanless Graphics card
2 x 2024Mb DDR2 Ram
Seagate drive's (but allready had WD SATA 2 hard drives so saved money there)
Case Cooler Papst 8412 N/2GLE
CPU Cooler - I got the Sythe Ninja
Teac Floppy drive with built in 7x1 card reader

I speculated on different options and asked questions on the forums here and got great feedback, taking all into consideration, thats what I got as my old system was based on Asus/Intel and it had been stable and run perfectly for years.

It was a major upgrade in many ways from my old P4 - it's a flying machine now and I love it !

I been looking at getting a new case (check out the Just in CASE thread) but decided to replace my drive caddy's instead

You can get that mobo/cpu mentioned for a song now as Intel had just released the I7 but thats all new drivers, chipsets and what ever, I prefer to stay with tried, tested and stable.

I'm still running XP Pro 32 bit with Scope vers 4.5 software, I didn't like Vista and Windows 7 is quite new, and i'm not happy with certain 64 bit releases at the moment, if I went down that route i'd have to spend a small fortune upgrading all my other software/synths and plugins, so i'm more than happy with what I got.

I had a good 7 years out of my old system and i'm sure i'll get another 7 out of this, a good return on investment !

Check out the forums on here and ask, every one is really helpfull and friendly !!!
bizarre

Post by bizarre »

Thanks for the input - much appreciated :)
outsounder

Post by outsounder »

I little line I should have mentioned in regards the spec (in post above) that Scope suggested I build -

Quote (from Scope) - " Ram - 2x2024mb DDR2 Kingstone value ram, do not use Kingston HyperX Ram ! possibly unstable power consumption. "

I followed thier advice and got the value ram, works fine. I'm not sure what part of the Euro zone your in but in the UK I got the mobo, cpu and ram al for about 170 english pounds, so if you shop wisely you should get a handsome saving on the budget you mention :)
bizarre

Post by bizarre »

edit:
Thanks for all the advise to you guys.
I had the money in my hand, I had found the parts .... and faith? interfered ...

My x-wife threw out my daughter from her home! how can a parent do that???

anyway ....

It's because my daughter wanted to go to a special school. I voted she should do it, the x said no. My daughter said "I want it and I'll do it and my father supports me"

and she was thrown out ... from day to day ...

So today I rented a car, went to pick up her and her stuff, and tomorrow she starts at the school of her choice.
and the money that should have bought a computer is now paying her school .... I think it's a good choice .....