DAS SL9000 sound?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Hangee_77

DAS SL9000 sound?

Post by Hangee_77 »

Hi,

I would like to have the SSL "on your face" type of sound, Does the DAS SL9000 do the job?

I am also considering the Waves SSL & Duende right now.

Thanks.

hc.
next to nothing

Re: DAS SL9000 sound?

Post by next to nothing »

nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Hangee_77 wrote:Hi,

I would like to have the SSL "on your face" type of sound, Does the DAS SL9000 do the job?

I am also considering the Waves SSL & Duende right now.

Thanks.

hc.
The SL9000 is a complete pain to work with due to some Scope bug which no-one could be bothered to fix. This means you have to load a preset on every instance of SL9000 in a project on project load. So if you have, say, 10 instances you will be performing 10 extra window openings and preset selections. And also you will be required to turn the routing off at project shutdown unless you want many, many errors messages on the next project restart. Another 10 extra things to do. Also, if you purchase SL9000 it's unlikely to work correctly with any external controller as the Scope MIDI preset CC configuration is broken due to another ever present Scope bug which nobody could be bothered to fix.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
sonolive

Post by sonolive »

hi
YES...
just try the demo and open your ears ;-)

cheerz
olive
pollux

Post by pollux »

Hi,

I never had the chance to work with a "real" SSL console, but I really like the sound of the SL9000. It's a really good channel strip.

I use it a lot in some big mixing projects, but never noticed those issues nightscope mentions above.

Cheers!

Raul
dawman

Post by dawman »

Those are all fixed for the new version we will be seeing soon.
I never needed more than one instance as I only use it for spice prior to VDAT for certain drums & backing vocals.
My favorite use is the gate.
It is very transparent and the hold feature decays into silence like silk.

I like the Lexicon Halls and Infinite Reverbs but their tails have to be clipped to get that big sound w/o making the tracks muddy.
Vocals sound really well using an Echo clipped also. Slapback's have that tight msec. sound that I find too coloring, so I'll use SpaceF's AUX Delay and tweak it w/ the SL9000's gate and the Dyn SC Algo to get that Whitney Houston trick.

I really want the C350 though as it has the new algo's that are used in the AI EQ.
I don't need a demo from these guys as I have lot's of their stuff already.
Besides, I hate the way you just start getting the sound you like and then the effect goes into bypass mode.... :x . What a tease.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

pollux wrote:I use it a lot in some big mixing projects, but never noticed those issues nightscope mentions above.l
Well, myself, Jimmy and DAS themselves certainly have noticed those issues. How did you manage to fix them all by yourself?

I think the silence from DAS on this issue is significant. "open your ears". Yeah right, try opening 10/12 presets windows, selecting a different preset for each instance, closing the window, look for the next instance. That's 30/36 separete operations to do before project start. Then having to disable all the instances at project close lest you get a very large amount of error messages on the next project load.

The SL9000 is a severely handicapped plugin almost useless to employ in multiple instances within a project. FACT. To get any kind of SSL mix emulation with this plug, requires many instances to get in the ballpark. This simply cannot feasibly be done.

I cannot recommend anybody buy's it. Buy another EQ/Comp combination from DAS but not this one.

ns
sonolive

Post by sonolive »

hi all;

@ nightscope :
I think the silence from DAS on this issue is significant. "open your ears".
All you mention above is well known by us and all the user that have already asked the DAS support about it: support@digitalaudiosoft.com ... (Pz is not DAS support ...)

these issues are fixed since the begining... and a new totally rebuilt version is ready since more than one year ... it will be avaible for all user with SCOPE XITE1 (as a "welcome to xite update" )
Well, myself, Jimmy and DAS themselves certainly have noticed those issues. How did you manage to fix them all by yourself?
who know, maybe some (J)V..IP users that already has ordered xite1 already owns it ;-)

So, if you want a fix to these issues, write to das support, if you want the new version, wait (or order) xite, if you want to try another gret channel strip from DAS, just try or buy DAS C350, that , as jimmy said, is build with DAS innovative and exclusive EQ and dynamics algorythms ....

cheerz ... and waiting to read you on the support ...
olive
garyb

Post by garyb »

seperate instances each need their own preset? i guess i don't understand, that makes sense to me! they're a channel strip, not a whole mixer....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Can you imagine a DAS mixer w/ a C350/SL9000 on every channel?.........Dayamn.

Olive.
I am buying the C350 as soon as I get back from shopping today.
It will be 12:00am Paris Time.
The gate on the SL9000 is so good and Eric seems to have tweaked it a little more in the C350.
My vocalist is spoiled from the backing vocal effects and wants those live, so I guess since it's Christmas and I could get her a little something. Afterall the crowds she draws have paid for Solaris & an XITE-1.....I don't want to spoil her too much though.
BTW the DAS MM is really a spectacular mixer for the wireless ear monitors and mixing in general live. It also has lined my pockets for a while.
Thanks to SpaceF and DAS my live shows are a breeze. :wink:

Is there a bundle price for the Master EQ & C350 ?
Last edited by dawman on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

garyb wrote:seperate instances each need their own preset? i guess i don't understand, that makes sense to me! they're a channel strip, not a whole mixer....
If you save any project all tweaked FX parameters are saved with the project. On next project load those saved parameters are recalled without the need to store a preset. The only SL9000 version available for v4.5 cannot do this. One has to load a default preset with the routing disabled and then a saved preset for each instance in the project at startup. On project close one has to remember to save a preset and disable the routing for each instance of SL9000 being used or any changed parameters are lost.

ns
garyb

Post by garyb »

oh, like with dynatube.

yes, that's an annoyance, but hardly a showstopper.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

garyb wrote:yes, that's an annoyance, but hardly a showstopper.
Well, it might seem like only a minor annoyance to you Yankee chappies. But we've invaded France for less. Image

ns
dawman

Post by dawman »

:lol:

Ladies & Gentlemen.....Nightscope........ankyu.
9000SC works like a charm, so yes somebody's been doing their homework.
I just conned someone into buying the C350 for me, so it's been a really good day.
Last edited by dawman on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
sonolive

Post by sonolive »

hi

jv :
My vocalist is spoiled from the backing vocal effects and wants those live, so I guess since it's Christmas and I could get her a little something. Afterall the crowds she draws have paid for Solaris & an XITE-1.....I don't want to spoil her too much though.
glad to read that you are still using our DAS MODULAR MIXER live ... do you play live again with your 6 sexy singers ? send pics ... ;-) we miss them !

cheerz
olive
dawman

Post by dawman »

Just recieved my keys.............VOILA !!!

BTW thanks for the XMas freebie, I would have paid for that.
I am treading dangerous waters exchanging gifts between two off and on X's............ :o
What's that old Yankee saying.................If you can't join 'em.....lick 'em !... :lol:
ankyu.

I will email a jpeg of the newest cackilng hen.
The other Hens flew the coup and work for Sony in Nashville these days.
I actually miss those Hens too. :wink:

Definately a Merry Christmas.
Wired

c350 and master it eq, awesome,

Post by Wired »

the c350, master it eq and the updated sl9000 are the closest you'll get to duende on scope platform, ...i know i had duende, and yes duende has algo's that scope might not ever have, (cause duende's chips are the hardware off their big board, not just an emulation), but i can get close with those devices mentioned above. Duende has this drum channel that adds harmonics to the low end, and they are clean and gorgeous and musical. Scope is not there with their algos, but close and for the coin, and for all that scope offers, get the above devices, you won't be dissapointed
Crickstone

Post by Crickstone »

When was the SL9000 updated. I bought mine quite awhile ago and have a version 1 and version 2...or have I missed something?
Wired

updated

Post by Wired »

send das a note, he will know i'm not in scope right now