Surround Help Needed

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Surround Help Needed

Post by dawman »

Below is a diagram of 10 speakers which are currently run in stereo pairs and have no subs.
By placing 4 subs on the corners of the Gazebo or possibly underneath facing up these 5 sets of stereo powered cabs could possibly be used for a Center channel pair and four pairs of satellites. The dance floor is app. 30' x 80'.
These are all Mackie SRM450's and sound very good just in stereo, but instead of re doing the entire arrays one could possibly rent four Mackie subs as an audition of sorts, and try a surround mix for comaparisons.
I have been playing around with the STM1632 S and believe I could use an A16U for this experiment but the leftover 2 channels on the A16U which I would need for monitoring a mix will have to be stereo.....
This could work but my problem is that I do not have any source material to use for the demonstration. And only 4 days to come up with a sellable mix.

Where can I find projects or mp3's to demo.
Or should I just make some quick tracks using the STM1632 S using synths and drums.
I have some cheezy Klipsch 5.1's already so that might be feasible, but I am definately in a pinch for time. That's what happens when you boast while drinking afterhours.

These cabinets are all elevated above facing down. A1 Audio charged an arm & a leg for this. 10 x SRM450's w/ a Mackie ONYX 1640. The stage is a 3 foot riser where subs could be underneath facing up, or grouped w/ the 4 x satellites leaving the center channel " un subbed "?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
garyb

Re: Surround Help Needed

Post by garyb »

subs should bever be split up! you will have serious phase cancellation in various places around the room. bass is non-directional, so just put the sub(s) some place out of your way. also, it's better to stack subs high than to spread them out.

if that's a dancefloor, various places around the room will hear only part of the music....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Strippers and Live music / DJ's................can't wait.
I will call you. :wink:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

garyb wrote:also, it's better to stack subs high than to spread them out.
Only if you want to save space & make them look cool, otherwise it's not such a great idea unless you want to generate bass frequencies which aren't in the material being fed to the subs.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I saw a nifty device that passed subs through a puffy drum stool seat when I worked w/ Tim McGraw @ Ceasars Palace, and I wish to see if there is something similar for the subs ported through the riser under the Gazebo.
The place is huge and the owner wants the prinary sound for those who enter the Gazebo ( Dance Floor ) which is app. 40 x 60 I just found out.
I think I would like 1 or 2 underneath w/ some kind of servo device and 2 pointing from the end across the floor.
I will have plenty of time to experiment.
My only source of music is the 1632 S tracks I just did. They hace over exaggerated pans to demo the motions I wish to create w/ the speakers.
If I told this guy to have a giant rotary cabinet he would buy it.
This is going to be fun.

BTW I got a patternized drum track and looped it for 64 bars. Then added the SE-1X for ultra low bass licks, Then Solaris.
I am currently automating some filters and panning to the 4 x satellite channels.
So far so good.............SAVE. :lol:

I really need an accurate control surface w/ long throw faders it seems, as timing of the LFO's in Solaris's step sequencer is accurate but my math using msec's and BPM's is sad. :cry:
astroman

Post by astroman »

the Doepfer Ribbon controller is probably the longest fader available on earth :D
can't help you with the math, tho...

cheers, Tom
sonolive

Post by sonolive »

hi jimmy,

i have built some times ago some very usefull tools for 5.1 apps ...
but i think you already got them ... remember ;-)

here are the pictures ...
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (271.25 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (242.33 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
if you need these devices , just mail me*

cheers
olive
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

Richard Devine has composed a surround music DVD entiltled "Surround DVD Project" - Schematic/Asphodel 2004 Richard Devine Website
In the links section you can find the Schematic and Asphodel websites for purchase of the surround dvd

I'm not sure I read your question right but if you're looking for surround audio sources then any film dvd or a current games console (Xbox360 or PS3) should do the trick, even pc games will give you 5.1 samples

Surround audio files/samples
Surround Drone tail
Free AC-3 Downloads and DTS 5.1 Surround Sound Files
http://kadaitcha.cx/3dsurround.html - 2GBs of audio here :D

Dolby also produced some great surround - Dolby Surround Test CD with music and YouTube Dolby Surround Test
and while at youtube try the Ultimate Sub Bass Test or Ultimate Sub Test for those subs :D

Also

Amazon Surround Audio DVD
Richie Hawtins - Transitions DE9 DVD
Aphex Twin - Rubber Johnny DVD (Warp)
Square Pusher - Come on my Selector
Kraftwerk - Minimum , maximum DVD 1 and 2
Groove armada - Vertigo SACD-DTS CD
Goldfrapp - Supernature
Sven Vath's - Cocoon release, sound of the fith season.
Plaid - greedy baby
speedy j umfeld (free @ http://www.umfeld.tv follow the links to the free version)
Meat Beat manifesto - ..in dub 5.1
Bjork - vespertine
Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Insen Live
Jeff Mills - Blue Potential
Tipper Surrounded
Acoustic tinkering thinking
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thank You for the links MM. Very Nice Of You.
I have to make my own, which wasn't as hard as I thought.
XBox360 through the Klipsch 5.1's sound really good. :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Olive, where are you? :cry:
Same email we used back in the DAS MM days ?????
Are they oxe, files?

Check your PM.