cheap external effect unit at 48KHz

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

i found a common soundblaster live with the external board (the one with sp/dif in-out) can easily be used as external effect, for example by routing the signal from the bigmixer to the soundblaster, and using it as a reverb.
the only problem (and for me is a great problem!) is that the SB works only at 48KHz, and the pulsar must be set as slave.
however, a SBlive could be found at 150-200% (i think), so it can be a cheap option.
horrn

Post by horrn »

that´s not that easy!
a) you can not handle the same latency you have in pulsar for the sb! you will always have a hard delay on your signal
b) you should think about what it´s worth to work with a sb!? if it´s a cheap alternative it will sound like this too. don´t do yourself this troubles by checking too much things with unsolid stuff... better to buy an external cheap outboardeffect when you need to get this!

greetings

t.
bosone

Post by bosone »

yes, you are right... but I have a SB and i don't get problems from it. the only problem is that, actually, i DON'T want to work at 48KHz, so i'm not using this configuration!!
mine was only a suggestion! buying an external effects is not always so simple... if you have you analog in/ou occupied, how can you use it?!? and effects with digital in/out are expansive!!