hearing a "radio" when volumes pushed to the max?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mano

Post by mano »

What's happening guys, maybe some of you can help here... If I turn the volume of my studio to the max, with my computer on but no sound at all playing), I can hear the sound of some people speaking.. Either some cordless phone (!) or some talk radio station..

????

I dont want to capture these when I record, what do you guys think? I also have a ground hum, not super loud but when its at max you cna hear it.

Ahh i would love to have a CLEAN studio sound...
garyb

Post by garyb »

call an engineer or electrician(both would be better).you have a ground loop and possibly a shielding problem.(cheap cabling?) good luck.if the problem is not bad,you could live with it.(it IS signal to noise ratio that's important)it's possible that the problem is after the input and it may not be recorded.
mano

Post by mano »

thansk for your reply

I am moing to a new house soon, and I will reorganize my studio there (new desk, lots of new instruments, new powere outlets etc..). I will see then if I still have the same problem.

Then I will try to get rid of it. My cables are good, they are all "blue monster gold" mono cables, for all the connections.

Im thinking it might be my cheap computer tower maybe? you know, those power supply arent really for musicians originally.
shloomper

Post by shloomper »

get a Good (!) Ground Loop Isolator
not expancive, you can also DIY
mano

Post by mano »

On 2001-11-26 03:08, shloomper wrote:
get a Good (!) Ground Loop Isolator
not expancive, you can also DIY
Hey shloomper: can you suggest a model? One I could find to order online. Can I buy 1 isolator device for my whole studio? Last time I checked this kind of devices, you had to buy one per cable (!).

Also, what do you mean by DIY?

thanks in advance.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

DIY means "Do it yourself".
I'm no expert but I did read a long time ago that if you have a ground loop all you have to do is ground only one of your apparels and lift the ground on everything else. I don't know if this would work in your case but it might be worth a try.
Let us know!

_Paul

I think I may get the hang of this after all!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-11-26 09:20 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

ground loops can be tricky........is the house properly grounded?your case could be poorly sheilded.DO NOT play with electricity unless you know what you're doing as you can do more harm than good.(to yourself and your gear) you could buy some gadgets and spend money,or you could call a local studio and ask who they use for wiring problems(as professional courtesy, so be courteous)that should get you a tech who knows audio and he should be able to offer temporary and permenant solutions.the extra $100 is cheap insurance of best performance for your money and your audio.(that's why you have this expensive sound card,audio lover)
ah yes,
rant in the morning.