It is NOT file-sharing that's hurting CD sales....

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I don't file swap any music because the few times that I've had the opportunity I scanned through maybe a thousand songs and picked *two* that I liked. The most amazing part of the experience for me was the amount of absolute rubbish.

In some ways I think this "free" music contributes to the miserable quality. Songs are devalued because they are free, so instead of quality we have quantity: thousands of lame formula songs about nothing.

Whenever something is "free" many people go crazy scooping up all that they can even though they do not need it or really want it - it's that magic word "free" which hypnotises them.

And in the same way that some warez users say that their illegal software is like a demo and leads to genuine sales, in a similar way if you download crap songs you may get "indoctrinated" into that style of pulp music.

Of course this theory doesn't include the good independent music, but then often people say that this is the music that they buy...

( And way OT: I think it was not slavery that destroyed the Roman Empire, but the insidious corrosion of the Roman spirit by Christianity. )
braincell

Post by braincell »

If you walk into a CD store most of it is crap. If you turn on the radio most is crap. We live in a world full of crap. The problem with downloading MP3 is that it is difficult to get the entire CD.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I really don't get the complaints of the record industry.
All what's mentioned in the link of the original post is pretty obvious stuff for anybody who cares at least a bit about music production.
If a market changes, you have to act accordingly - that applies to any industry.
The re-release of vinyl catalogs on CD was close to a license to print money for the big record companies and those disks were definetely overpriced.
Imho it's extremely difficult to put 80 minutes of top quality creative output on a disk, while the average half hour from the 'vinyl age' fits much better.
It's understandable that people prefer a catchy single over an album full of fill-up stuff. But since the music industry wants to sell something to us customers, well, it's their job to make an attractive offer.

my 2 cents, Tom

ps: imho the Roman spirit truely survived: decadence is still hip and their gladiator entertainment was just an expensive kind of crime videos. They didn't have the technology to fake it, so they used real people and animals. We're not that different when some goverments entertains us by bombing one or the other city or TV stations transmit gunfights in the streets...
garyb

Post by garyb »

if this is not rome,then why are the laws sciences and state constitutions all in latin?because the emperor changes his name to pope and the army is called fransiscans or dominicans does that mean that the empire is no more?an emperor by definition is a king over kings.who placed the kings of europe on their thrones?was it not the pope?too often the censuring and destruction of the roman middle class by the roman troops(barbarians,people who were the equivalent to the marines at that time)just prior to the so called "dark ages",a period of some 400 years when the peoples of europe were forbidden to read or write by order of the pope,is called the fall of the empire.it probably felt that way to those whose homes were destroyed......

:grin:
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

I just LOOOOVE this forum...
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------
http://www.thalamus.dk