What would it happen if I connect a HD with Win 98 to my sys

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, I need to get all the data I´ve been keeping for years in the C drive of my before computer, the one that has just brake down, to my new computer. The old computer had Win 98 on it, and the new one has Win XP. My question is: would it damage my system if I open this Win 98 driver to collect all the information I need, doing a copy past opperation, before formating it? Would it contradict the system making it believe there are two OS and so, not understanding itself and overwriting some files or the so? Cheers.
Micha

Post by Micha »

You should connect it as Primary/Secondary slave. You'll see a new drive D: and you can copy/save all you need. If the drive contains more partitions or logical drives these are appended to your existing drive letters.
No problem. For formatting an extended partition is sufficient. Then any drive letters will automatically append to the end of the list.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

You have to set some parameters in bios, too. Change (if needed, perhaps it is already set) the 'boot up sequence' setting to 'C only' - this way the computer will read the system from your main disk (XP one) - if this disk is your primary master, of course

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-08-01 18:51 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Great, thanks for your answers, I´ll tell the experience later... Cheers :smile: