got a strange mail

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

it seems that we were sent a virus.this virus lies dormant for 14 days before acting.it's already been about a week so act fast.

1.go to start and find search option.
2.in the file folder option type jdbgmgr.exe
3.search c drive and any other drives you may have.be sure to check subfolders.
4.click "find now"
5.the virus has a teddybear icon and is named jdbgmgr.exe . DON'T open it!
6.go to edit on menu bar and choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening it.
7.go to file on the menu bar and select delete to send it to the recycle bin.empty the trash.
8.you must inform all the other people in your address book so that they may remove the virus from their machines as it is sent automatically.

norton and macafee don't recognize this virus so beware!
I got one addressed to me, and another one addressed hummelmusic@shaw.ca
I wonder why I recieved an e-mail that's not addressed to my e-mail address. really strange, how they do these things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2003-07-09 21:57 ]</font>
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

i've seen that one before. it's a hoax. you don't need to delete that jdbgmgr file, it's part of the java runtime or something.

info here:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/d ... .hoax.html

i hate viruses and worms that send themselves out using random addresses in your contact list as the from address, to random other addresses in your contact list. i've never had such a virus, but apparently lots of people i know have had it, as i get tons of virus mail bounced back to my address as if i had sent them :sad:
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Kensuguro, faking the names and addresses of an email is a very simple task when you are able to program a little bit. (And have anonymous access to an email server).

Emails consist of three parts: message body, envelope and header.
Body is the part which - naturally - contains the message (and attachments). Header is where these names and addresses are shown.
Envelope is part that most users don't know anything about. It's part, that has REAL sender and REAL recipient. Header fields can have WHATEVER text. And these are the fields your email client will show you...

Here's some more info: http://eleccomm.ieee.org/header-spoofing.shtml

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spoimala on 2003-07-10 01:53 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, I had this one too, the solution is "do nothing". I'ts amazing how people can spend their time...

Last Sunday I have read in the news, there has been a hacker’s competition and the one who could damage more web sites, was the winner… I don't know if this is true or not, but I would not be surprised if it is...