Moderators: valis, garyb

ReD_MuZe

Phasefix & Phasefix X

Post by ReD_MuZe »

Phasefix & Phasefix X

this is for phase problem fixing.
at0m

Post by at0m »

2 very simple yet indispensable neat little devices.
Phasefix and Phasefix-X are about the same, the -X version has a bypass for the sample delay.

Fiddling around with them, you'll find a 0-200 samples delay for each channel of the stereo path. The sample delay can be used to set a delay on designated channel, thus making up for phase off-set. Can also be used for phaser-like effect :wink: The bypass on the -x version bypasses the delay.

Mono mode sums both inputs to check for mono compatibility.

A Left and a Right button, they invert the L or R channel and mono the signal at the same time. Perfect phase signals should mute each other. If they do, you know the incoming signal is in perfect phase. If they don't mute, adjust Delays until it's as quiet as possible.

Cheers, Red_MuZe :smile:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Post by valis »

Right. This is to compensate for when the L & R channels get out of phase on devices in the signal path that don't delay compensate (everything but the mixers without inserts right now?.)

I've found the easiest way to do this with a signal path that comes from my sequencer or outboard is to send what I *know* is a mono signal down the stereo path and use the inv. modes to see if they truly cancel. It's a cinch to adjust this way too (thanks Red =])

Also, the top version is slightly lighter on dsp since the controls are simpler, yet it accomplishes the same thing. The one with the buttons to toggle stereo/mono/inv. L/inv. R and the disable toggle is more dsp heavy to allow easy comparing in different modes and between the phase enabled 'correcting' mode and the original. If you're short on dsp you can tweak & replace with the other one using the same settings...
at0m

Post by at0m »

There's about 2-5 samples buffer or difference between calculations on 2 DSP's.

[edit]
Someone had a problem w this, he couldn't silence the processed mono signal, so here's the solution for y'all to read. If you use Phasefix to check an effects path, make sure the effects do not bypass and their processing reduced to minimum. For example, set wet level of stereo delay or reverb to 0, dry to full. Set distortion not to distort etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2003-09-25 00:08 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

Could these devices be used as stereo imager? That would be awesome...
Michu

Post by Michu »

hehe, Eliam

if your stereo image is plain boring OK
you can sure use this to unfix it :wink:
eliam

Post by eliam »

hehe! It could be used to give mono sources some depth...
valis

Post by valis »

:grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: valis on 2003-05-24 11:20 ]</font>
Submarine

Post by Submarine »

Sorry but: how must i connect this Phase fix?
Dont laught!!!.
:smile:
grotools

Post by grotools »

just before a mixer channel ?
Submarine

Post by Submarine »

Aaha...so i have to put 24 Pieces of them in
the Project?Or is it to use just in the end ,
in the mastering phase?
Thanks a lot im not a pro...
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

You can use it as an insert I think. You will likely have the most use of it one channels. And will likely not need it on all channels.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
voidar

Post by voidar »

These don't work in inserts :/.

Also, could you XTC enable them ? (declare VST-values).
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Inserts are not guaranteed to be 100% in fase, so it would be counter intuitive to use them in inserts. I don't know about XTC.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Problems is the settings won't be stored unless it's in a insert module, but I can just use Voxengo Sample Delay instead I discovered :).
valis

Re: Phasefix & Phasefix X

Post by valis »

Updated this post to fix topic links
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Ooh, thanks. I find these indispensible in my work, and others should be able to get them more easily.
Handy tip: once you have these set up perfectly in your project, don't close it until you're finished because there will be changes in latency between devices when you reopen it. I have no idea why or how this happens, I've just learned to work around this quirk. (I'm PCI-based, don't know if this is similar on XITE)
at0m

Post by at0m »

Peter Drake wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:08 am tip: once you have these set up perfectly in your project, don't close it until you're finished because there will be changes in latency between devices when you reopen it. I have no idea why or how this happens [...]
tl;dr:
This is inherent to Scope: There's buffers between DSP chips, in the order of a couple samples. When a project is loaded, stuff* might end up on a different chip, and this can cause a couple samples difference between modules.

The longer story:
*stuff: for devices, modules can be linked to the same chip for stereo phase consistency. For example, the different filters in a stereo EQ. The SDK has that option - if developers actually do link such stuff up. In modular, there's no such pairing option or locking to the same chip for different modules.
There's downsides to this locking to single DSP, for example sample rate limitations since DSP load on single chips may get larger. Micro- and DynaMixer have Phase lock button, that forces all channels to a same chip. It is advised to use this Phase button only when needed (say, for mixing of a multi-miked source) since this lets Scope allocate DSP load less efficient.

Good SDK work links up the necessary modules, but no too much either. Serial functions with no feedback should be left to Scope to load-balance, while feedback and parallel functions (matched stereo set for example) should be locked together. It's a trade-off between max samplerate, DSP flexibility, and phase consistency that needs to be considered.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

@Atom

You can get a modular shell that is locked in a specific dsp. This will allow all modules loaded in this modular shell to be loaded in the same dsp.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Don't make the patch too big! And some will complain "only x% DSP load and cards are full, keep getting Reload! Reload! messages".

Btw, where's that shell? :D