Page 1 of 1

Luna 2, Pulsar 1, Asio issues

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2026 1:17 pm
by cemhot
two Computers.
Main:
Luna 2 (and Lunabox)
2x Pulsar 1
Scope 7
Win xp

Secondary Computer:
Pulsar 1
Scope 5
Win xp


First of all:
I managed to connect the two computers with VST System Link over ADAT!

It was a "difficult birth" as we say in german :-) (laborious process).

My main fault was that in the configuration of VST System Link i have chosen Asio in 7 as Asio input
and then Asio out 8 as Asio Output.
Because i was thinking that i need to build a ring. Which is right, but you would use the same channel number as
input and output.
So, in case someone struggles:
in 7 (in my case) as Asio Input and out 7 as Asio output!

I learned how to do all the ADAT and Asio connections.
But after some time I always got the "Limit of PCI capacity.." message.

I think this has to do with the Asio modules in Scope in connection with my quite weak cards.
So it seems in Scope 5 and 7 we only have 64-Channel Asio modules (?)

I did not run into the problem until now, because i used older projects which derrived from Scope 3 or 4.

There in the last years i always used the "Asio 24 Bit" modules. I dont know if they are Asio 1 or 2.
I also do not know how and why the get loaded (thanks God they do!).
It seems they can also 32 channels, which at the Moment is more than i Need.

I would only like to know and understand how this works. And if it is ok the way it is.
Or if there are any disadvantages.
And if i can copy the smaller Asio modules of Scope 3 or 4 ino my new Scope.

Is it of some worth to think about
"forcing" the STM 2448 on a specific card?

How was this done? I can not find it anymore.

Do you see any necessity for this, or do you say, the PCI capacity Limit just has to do with my two Pulsar 1 Cards
in the system - when using the newer 64-channel modules?

Thank you all!

Re: Luna 2, Pulsar 1, Asio issues

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2026 7:11 am
by valis
With the XITE I can change DSP assignment, but not so with my Scope card system (PCI). Both run Scope 7. The way I manage large devices in Scope is to put them in my project window (along with your chosen hardware i/o and software i/o and routing modules), so the STM 2448 in this case...and then save the project and reload it. Then add your smaller devices. This should (in most cases) ensure the larger device(s) are loaded first. I'll defer to others on this for the mixers, as they will surely use more than one DSP and I don't use the STM mixers (I use micromixers and SpaceF's stuff almost exclusively).

You can change the number of ASIO channels quit easily by double clicking on the module, and changing the number of channels for inputs and outputs. Just configure as many as you will need to handle your mixing, and recording back into your DAW. Unlike traditional soundcards, the ASIO configuration is completely flexible, meaning your signal's passage back to the DAW (via ASIO) is 100% up to how you route in the Scope window, so you simply define the number of channels you need and route at will. There is no need to worry about what ASIO channels your return signal is on.

I'll let Gary and others clarify further, especially as to why you are reaching PCI capacity limits. But suffice it to say that you are using too many channels of ASIO, and seem to not need to do so.

Re: Luna 2, Pulsar 1, Asio issues

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2026 8:48 am
by fidox
cemhot wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2026 1:17 pm
I managed to connect the two computers with VST System Link over ADAT!
I was some time ago there too, but I found this quite time-consuming.

Master computer - Cubase 14 Pro
Slave computer - Cubase Elements 13

Sometimes worked fine, sometimes no.

Anyway I have now quite different setups, no more Scope on my main master computer. (just on slave computer).

Re: Luna 2, Pulsar 1, Asio issues

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2026 11:22 am
by valis
Both of my Scope machines are slave, but not due to technical issues. I use Logic Pro on an old Mac Pro 3,1 (for which I also have a backup stored), and Scope won't work on Mac. I am eyeballing a Mac Studio once RAM stops being peak price, and doubt that will change things much.

A master clock for wordclock for the studio solved any other issues I ever had, most of which were due to just having so many machines.

Re: Luna 2, Pulsar 1, Asio issues

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2026 12:53 pm
by cemhot
valis wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2026 7:11 am The way I manage large devices in Scope is to put them in my project window (along with your chosen hardware i/o and software i/o and routing modules), so the STM 2448 in this case...and then save the project and reload it.
Thank you very much for this tip!
valis wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2026 7:11 am You can change the number of ASIO channels quit easily by double clicking on the module, and changing the number of channels for inputs and outputs.
I know that. I also assumed that more DSP power or PCI traffic would be used when i connect more Asio channels.
But in my case it just crashed when using the "newer", current Asio modules, which all have the "64" on the modul.

Maybe i'll try later again. Maybe with a clean new setup.
But after configuring my system for several weeks, i think i'll have a pause now and continue with my 24 bit modules and start elaborating my new workflow.

Maybe someone comes along and can add some to my case.

Re: Luna 2, Pulsar 1, Asio issues

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2026 3:37 pm
by valis
I use "ASIO2-32 Source 64" & "ASIO2 Dest-64" myself on the Xite and Scope PCI boxes, I have noted only minor additional PCI traffic compared to the older non-ASIO2 versions. I would guess it's your channel count.

I don't use the large STM mixer are you are attempting to to mix outside the DAW, so i simply add ASIO channels as needed (depending on your DAW, you may need to release the driver or close the DAW before making these changes, and in some cases it can mess with things like "Studio configuration" or etc in DAWs that have that).

There are things you can do to the system(s) to improve bus traffic overhead, perhaps that's a good focus for you in addition to reducing the number of ASIO channels you use?