Creamware A8 and Pulsar I problems [please help]

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

indica

Post by indica »

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a problem I’m having. I have had a pulsar 1 for about a year now and I just scored an A8 on eBay and finally got the thing home and connected everything up. I can’t get any sound to come through the A8 into the pulsar. I have the four outputs from my nord modular plugged into the inputs on the A8. I was forced to buy the ‘monster cable’ ADAT cables since that was all guitar center had that were longer than 6 feet. Here is possibly where the problem lies; the connectors on the end of the cables are too wide to be plugged in next to each other on the back of the pulsar. So I plugged the input from the A8 into the top ADAT input of the pulsar [above the dongle] and the output from the A8 into the lower ADAT output of the pulsar [below the dongle]. I am not sure if these need to be going into the same pair of the input/output connectors. This may not even be the problem, I am unsure. Do you possibly have any other suggestions or ideas I could try?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yes I've seen the same problem with the MonsterCable ADAT cables. The connectors are too large to fit on the card through the narrow PCI slots. Be careful here, bending the PCI slot bracket so the cable fits could causes a seating problem with the Pulsar card.

In the end, we ended up returning the MonsterCables for cheaper Hosas, but our problem was actually a faulty ADAT card inside the digital mixer! :roll:

You will probably want to get some Hosas so you can have both the ADAT in/out port from ie: ADAT1 connected (as opposed to using one input from ADAT1 and one output from ADAT2, etc, which might not be quite as ideal, but then again, it might just work, but remembering ADAT1-8 was input and ADAT9-16 was output, etc in the routing environment would probably make wiring a bit more thoughful a process, something I'd want to minimize). You might be able to squeeze the Monster on the top with a Hosa underneath, but as borg mentions, be careful.

Then, you'll want to establish the master/slave settings - one master only in a digital system. If you're using SPDIF already, this figures into the equation, so simplify a bit and just use only the A8 and Pulsar1--no other digital connections-- until you work it out.

Finally make sure you get a STABLE red light in the Sample Rate Settings dialog next to the ADAT ports. If it flashes or if it drops clock, then the cable probably isn't fitting tightly enough.

Hope that helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-02-15 13:16 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Err, I guess this is a duplicate thread and should be moved from this forum...

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &forum=1&1

Posting in one place is ideal, BTW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-02-15 13:16 ]</font>