Scope Pro XLR

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Scope Pro XLR

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Just been having a look at the Scope Pro card a bit more closely regarding the round trip latency - If the sample rate was raised to 96 Khz in ULLI settings, does this reduce the input track count by half? - I know at some point this does happen but does it happen at 96 Khz on Scope Pro running 5.1 software? - And then there are 8 ins instead of 16.

It seems to be possible to get 5.9 ms round trip latency at a buffer of 64 - attached is a JPEG of this - I was hoping it may be possible to up to 96 Khz (thus halving the RTL) but not if it halves the track count.

PAE patch has been enabled and it works - but it did not work on EMU 1212M (PCI) nor did it work on Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 (used_&_cheap)

This is an old 2008 board Asus P5Q & Q9550 OC'd @ 3.4 Ghz - Which is imaged to Macrium Reflect Free! - Just in case anything happens to the installation it can be reverted from an external backup.

This is about as good as this machine can be! - But it does have some older software on which cannot be activated anymore courtesy of Native Instruments.

Even though the CPU power is not like a 4790K - It was necessary to get the OS as good as possible for use of it's potential - Any useful info is welcome - Thanks -If this forum is still working!
OBLIQUE RTL LATENCY IN OUT #2.jpg
OBLIQUE RTL LATENCY IN OUT #2.jpg (429.97 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
PAE PATCH JPEG.jpg
PAE PATCH JPEG.jpg (149.94 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
ASUS_P5Q_&_INTEL_Q9550_@_3.4_GHZ_PASSMARK_9_#2.jpg
ASUS_P5Q_&_INTEL_Q9550_@_3.4_GHZ_PASSMARK_9_#2.jpg (357.7 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
I do have Scope 7 software as well which I got a while back.....
garyb

Re: Scope Pro XLR

Post by garyb »

96k certainly uses more resources than 44.1k, but it doesn't mean halving of the track count, necessarily. i would not be surprised to see the track count reduced because of doubled PCI resources being used, but i can't say exactly how many tracks you would sacrifice, exactly. there are too many variables.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hello Garyb

I'll re-phrase the question - as I'm not the best at asking in the best way.

The Scope Pro has 16 ADAT inputs when used with a converter AD-DA - To get into and out of the PC.

By changing the sample rate from 44.1 Khz to 96 Khz - Will the same 16 I/O channels still be able to be used without losing them to the higher sample rate?

So using 96 Khz sample rate to get lower latency and still be able to use ALL Scope resources like you would if you were using 44.1 Khz - EG - Is there a penalty for using 96 khz? (excluding larger file sizes) - This may clarify the question - Thank you.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

No, I seem to recall that ADAT I/O will be halved at 96Khz and you would need to use S-MUX. I am pretty sure that is the case but it’s a long time since I ran Scope at that samplerate so please correct me if I am wrong
rawkhard

Post by rawkhard »

thats correct, but i´m not sure this applies to z-link
fraz

Post by fraz »

rawkhard wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:26 am thats correct, but i´m not sure this applies to z-link
But it would apply to ADAT - Which is on a Scope PRO PCI card - I think it probable - so 44.1 Khz gets 5.9 ms RTL I/O - Total path for the Scope Pro PCI - But PAE works
fraz

Post by fraz »

64 Buffer is the lowest buffer isn't it?
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Again I seem to remember that Z-Link retains all 16 channels at 96KHz
rawkhard

Post by rawkhard »

t_tangent wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:27 am Again I seem to remember that Z-Link retains all 16 channels at 96KHz
i too forgot the Plus (io Board) aka XLR doesnt have Z-Link :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Oh yes, forgot that too, sorry :)
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

The answer is yes. If you swap to 96khz on any adat, it halves the channel count. Smux.
You can hale it again for 192khz if the interface supports it.
Got to be honest, 96 and above is totally ott for anything outside of film and broadcast media.
44.1 or 48 is enough fidelity for any audio application.