STS Samples

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

The_Viking

STS Samples

Post by The_Viking »

Hello.
After several years having my old PCI boards at rest, I finnaly found some time to get back behind the keyboards start playing again. I also re-installed my desktop computer, installed my PCI boards using version 7 of the software along with windows 10 pro. All good. But as I can read in different threads and do experience, is that the STS sampler will not work in the 64bit environment.

That is ok for now, but do anyone know how I can, or is there any 3rd party sample player that is capable of play my old pulsar samples? Maybe any VST software that I can use in Cubase or something?

Appreciate any thoughts!
Bud Weiser

Re: STS Samples

Post by Bud Weiser »

Use SCOPE v5.1 32Bit for STS (and VDAT).
It´s the BEST way.
Buy a used cheapo HP xw4600 server w/ Intel Core2Duo and 3 PCI slots, install Win7 x86 and do your work,- instead tinkering w/ ancient SCOPE devices on modern computers and OS.

Also the applications converting between .sts and other sample formats were 32Bit only in the past.
I remember I was able converting AKAI to .sts w/ CDxtract https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/so ... cdxtract-4.
Extreme Sample Converter https://www.extranslator.com/ does Creamware Pulsar STS Import and Export as "patch to patch conversion" too.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ex ... -converter

The only one supporting .sts and running in modern 64Bit systems seems to be ChickenSys Translator 7, promising Creamware Pulsar/STS (.sts; .p; .s; .wav) as source and destination formats.
http://www.chickensys.com/products2/tra ... rmats.html

But,- that´s a $149.95 investment while a used, good condition HP server is $80.- or less.
And I dunno which of the applications above works better.

:)

Bud
The_Viking

Post by The_Viking »

Thanks Bud!

Awesome tips!!
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

The_Viking wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:14 am Hello.
But do anyone know how I can, or is there any 3rd party sample player that is capable of play my old pulsar samples? Maybe any VST software that I can use in Cubase or something?

Appreciate any thoughts!
From memory, I have loaded AKAI Sample and STS sets into Reason Studios NN-XT (and therefore should work also in Reason Rack Plugin as a VST in most DAWS). There is also Volksampler if you can a) get hold of it and b) have a system / OS old enough to run it.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

LunaMan wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:59 pm From memory, I have loaded AKAI Sample and STS sets into Reason Studios NN-XT (and therefore should work also in Reason Rack Plugin as a VST in most DAWS). There is also Volksampler if you can a) get hold of it and b) have a system / OS old enough to run it.
I remember it needed Propellerhead ReLoad application for AKAI (multi-)sample (and program !!!) import.
It ran on WinXP (32Bit) and is discontinued since a long time.
Users were able to read AKAI data from floppy disks and I doubt there was CD-import at all.

How did you load .sts files into NN-XT ?

I use Reason since version 3 and cannot remember it imported .sts.

Bud
The_Viking

Post by The_Viking »

Thanks for all people!
For now I only have the 64 bit OS but maybe I can use the J-Bridge to convert the application to function in Cubase 12?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

The_Viking wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:01 am Thanks for all people!
For now I only have the 64 bit OS but maybe I can use the J-Bridge to convert the application to function in Cubase 12?
:-?

Which application ?

You can run many 32Bit applications in a 64Bit system as long as they don´t need special drivers.
Just only install into the x86 programs folder,- and it might be necessary to run in WinXP or Win7 compatibility mode.
There´s no guarantee you´ll have every option w/ every application, but it´s worth a try.
For sample conversion, no need to run inside "your" host application or "as a plugin".
No ASIO or such needed.

Last chances are using a dedicated 32Bit machine or buying ChickenSys Translator.

J-Bridge doesn´t convert anything, it just connects a 32Bit device to ASIO inside a 64Bit application and has nothing to do w/ any sample converting app.

Bud
The_Viking

Post by The_Viking »

Thanks again Bud :-)
valis

Post by valis »

Just a note that there's a new sample conversion tool worth checking out called "ConvertWithMOSS", which I will crosspost in the OT section under this link: viewtopic.php?t=37517