CUBASE MIDI WIDE SPREED PROBLEM {SOLVED} !!!!!!!!!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

CUBASE MIDI WIDE SPREED PROBLEM {SOLVED} !!!!!!!!!

Post by Nestor »

Go to EDIT then PREFERENCES, then go to RECORD then MIDI (withing the same “record” tab), now you can see a field called: “MIDI Record Catch Range in ms”. This was set to 100 by default, I changed it to 300, (which is the maximum amount I can reach) and voila…, the problem is gone! Now MIDI timing is perfect, tight, tight, tight, tight… yes, tight!!!

Till now, this was a hidden parameter I had never looked after. There it is the answer for those guys out there having the same problem than me, hopefully, that is, MIDI notes being written BEFORE the time you have hit your keys, which is bizarre because it should be impossible. I guess this parameter it is sort of a MIDI compensation somehow, yet another one in Cubase.

Please, tell anyone having this problem this is the fix, thank you!
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
astroman

Re: CUBASE MIDI WIDE SPREED PROBLEM {SOLVED} !!!!!!!!!

Post by astroman »

It‘s only bizarre at 1st glance... ;)
Cubase collects incoming Midi events and adds a momentary timpstamp to each in the buffer.
When the data is written, these timestamps can be changed to whatever applies.
It’s more efficient to move midi data to an earlier point in time than to delay audio tracks.
There may be side effects, though... if it saves calculated positions instead of the original performance.
Dunno Cubase, but it‘s worth checking options in this domain...
rawkhard

Post by rawkhard »

Interesting thoughts from both of you!!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

astroman wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:23 am It‘s only bizarre at 1st glance... ;)
Cubase collects incoming Midi events and adds a momentary timpstamp to each in the buffer.
When the data is written, these timestamps can be changed to whatever applies.
It’s more efficient to move midi data to an earlier point in time than to delay audio tracks.
There may be side effects, though... if it saves calculated positions instead of the original performance.
Dunno Cubase, but it‘s worth checking options in this domain...
It's quite a complex move the one between windows and cubase, because there are on the fly transformations of this timestamp, I can understand the concept, but not in depth honestly. What I know is that there are several possible translations in between the played note and the written one, and that is where the magic happens, to your likes or to your pain. I'm so glad to have my tempo back in time! You cannot imagine!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:23 am It‘s only bizarre at 1st glance... ;)
This seems to be a leftover from "LTB" (linear time base) technology Steini developed to use w/ the ancient Midex-8 MIDI interface, which acted (or should act) "like" a hardware sequencer.
LTB advanced time stamped MIDI events into Midex-8´s memory and Cubase/Nuendo triggered these "later".
There was a for the user invisible "preroll" time in Cubase/Nuendo,- both collecting all MIDI data from a project, timestamp each and move into the Midex-8.
depending on the position of the running sequencer, triggered MIDI events fired from Midex-8 and didn´t have to travel thru the Windows MIDI driver layers ´cause they were moved to the Midex-8 before it became time critical.

Emagic/Logic AMT was similar technology,- and both only worked w/ the related hardware.

Surprisingly, latest Apple Logic supports the old hardware MIDI interfaces (Unitor 8 mkII and AMT-8 etc.) again.

Steinberg doesn´t.
No official 64Bit driver for the Midex-8 and when using the unsupported one, it´s worst then the latest 32Bit driver in regards of sysex and LTP support.
Cubase SX3 and latest Midex-8 32Bit driver worked fine w/ Midex-8 in that regard.

:)

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

If just ONE of you would tell me it solved its Cubase timing problems through this post, I would be very happy for a whole year! :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:42 am If just ONE of you would tell me it solved its Cubase timing problems through this post, I would be very happy for a whole year! :)
You obviously aren´t willing to understand these MIDI timing problems are WINDOWS typical.

You´ll get rid of in a minute once you use Mac and Logic (and/or ATARI,- just only for MIDI).

Bud
GordonGekko

Post by GordonGekko »

Or a hardware sequencer
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

GordonGekko wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:48 am Or a hardware sequencer
Yes !
My Yamaha QX-1 is still one of the tightest machines ever built.
The Akai MPC60 and MPC60mkII were even better w/ more tracks and features.

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:00 am
Nestor wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:42 am If just ONE of you would tell me it solved its Cubase timing problems through this post, I would be very happy for a whole year! :)
You obviously aren´t willing to understand these MIDI timing problems are WINDOWS typical.

You´ll get rid of in a minute once you use Mac and Logic (and/or ATARI,- just only for MIDI).

Bud
I'm too old to start all over again my brother, that is why I'm so happy, and for sure, Windows is the problem, since the beginning. When I started, Macs were very expensive I remember.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

GordonGekko wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:48 am Or a hardware sequencer
No, not for me, (as far as I understand), because you need the flexibility, I don't compose everything quantized or fixed.
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:00 am

Bud
My Atari was tight with 1 midi port / 1 track. But as I added stuff, it got more and more sloppy.

On the other hand, my MPC-4k is tight as a snare drum. Iirc grid accurate +/- 1 sample.

I hope to have time to fire up my cubase rig in the near future, so I'll check those settings Nestor.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cool, hope it goes very well.

For me, it has ben a loooooonnnnggg while since I had this problem, so I'm enjoying what I used to have many years ago: tightness, and without exercising :lol:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I have been composing a few songs lately :D against all odds.

Working with a tight MIDI input is a DELIGHT I had forgotten long ago, and THE SPEED..., the speed... :o wow...

Those in possession of a good working DAW machine cannot imagine the gift they have had acquiring it in the first place.

Those in a MAC or Atari systems, etc., or those with a system that, from the beginning did not cause any timing problems, should go and kiss their machines in gratitude! :wink:

MIDI Tightness is a priceless addition to me right now, I was already helpless, but there was a hidden unexpected solution and I was lucky to get it in my hands. Thank you Universe! :D

Now, I will die with Cubase in my hands. Love came back from the abyss, it's a Steinberg and my Soul reconciliation, kind of getting married with your first wife again! :lol: I am so grateful! :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:16 pm ... I was already helpless, but there was a hidden unexpected solution and I was lucky to get it in my hands. Thank you Universe! :D
and the hidden & unexpected solution was WHAT ?

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:03 am
Nestor wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:16 pm ... I was already helpless, but there was a hidden unexpected solution and I was lucky to get it in my hands. Thank you Universe! :D
and the hidden & unexpected solution was WHAT ?

Bud
Hehehe, :D it is the reason of this post, go up all the way please, and there it is the whole explanation of what you have to do if you have the same problem I used to have, that is: MIDI notes are being written about a quarter of a bar "before" it's real time. It is the very first post, cheers.