So I just started Scope...

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eiffel65Fan

So I just started Scope...

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Greetings everyone,

I have FINALLY managed to get my hands on the lovely Scope Xite-1, so I am learning lots of new things about it. I don't have a physical MIDI keyboard, so I am wondering how (or if) it is possible to generate sound out of the unit without one. I would also like tips on integration with FL Studio 21. I also don't have any external speakers at the moment; my sound currently only comes out through my earphones when they are plugged in. Also, while doing some solo experimentation attempting to get sound from the Xite to my headphones, when I virtual plugged from the mixer to a destination source (can't remember exactly which one), an error message popped up saying that PCI capactiy exceeded, and I ended up getting a BSOD which forced me to do a reinstall of Windows 11 (while keeping all my personal files intact).

Sometimes I would also get a message saying "Hardware Version 30 detected. Please update to latest version".

Any advice for this eager newbie is greatly appreciated!
dante

Re: So I just started Scope...

Post by dante »

Sometimes those errors come up if the PCIe card needs a clean / reseating. Or if there’s an IRQ conflict etc.

Regards DAW integration, there’s a few ScopeRise articles on other DAW’s - so should be similar for yours.

http://www.hitfoundry.com/

There’s also the archive links which have other XITE related articles you can browse.

It can work without a MIDI keyboard if your DAW project has Audio or MIDI data in it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

for the hardware 30 message-
do you allow your computer to sleep? if so stop this. the Scope computer cannot sleep. if it does, it loses track of the XITE.
also, the XITE is not hot-swappable. if the hdmi cable is removed or disturbed, again the computer can lose connection to the XITE and the computer must be rebooted.
along the same lines, the XITE must be connected and truned on, BEFORE the computer is started.
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

garyb wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:44 am for the hardware 30 message-
do you allow your computer to sleep? if so stop this. the Scope computer cannot sleep. if it does, it loses track of the XITE.
also, the XITE is not hot-swappable. if the hdmi cable is removed or disturbed, again the computer can lose connection to the XITE and the computer must be rebooted.
along the same lines, the XITE must be connected and truned on, BEFORE the computer is started.
Thanks, I'll make note to disable sleep mode when Scope is being used. In FL Studio 21, when I select "ASIO Scope Xite-1" from the device drop-down menu in the Input/Output section of the Audio Tab of the Settings menu, a message pops up that says "Not enough ASIO output channels available. At least 2 channels are needed."
When I add more channels by right clicking ASIO2-32 Source 64>Surfaces>Open Asio Settings, and then open FL Studio again, the whole computer freezes, resulting in me having to force restart the system.

Also, when running the program "SetupVSTIMScopeXite64", after selecting FL Studio's plugin folder, it says "ERROR: CANNOT OPEN SCOPEVST.CFG!"
garyb

Post by garyb »

i haven't used use FL since win 98, but...
first, be aware that there are a few apps that do not play well with Scope. i don't think Fruity is one.
you cannot change a project with your sequencer(FL) open. i would use the ASIO2 source and ASIO2 dest modules. if you change the number of channels on the modules, you must first close the sequencer. you can connect or disconnect and add devices as you please, sequencer open or closed.

do not use the XTC(VSTIM) with 64bit windows, it does not work. XTC mode is used with the Scope app closed. i do not recommend it. XTC mode severely cripples the XITEs capabiilties. it is a holdover from XP and Scope v3. treat Scope devices and the Scope environment as external hardware, as that is what it is in Windows world.
valis

Post by valis »

The man knows
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:57 am i haven't used use FL since win 98, but...
first, be aware that there are a few apps that do not play well with Scope. i don't think Fruity is one.
you cannot change a project with your sequencer(FL) open. i would use the ASIO2 source and ASIO2 dest modules. if you change the number of channels on the modules, you must first close the sequencer. you can connect or disconnect and add devices as you please, sequencer open or closed.

do not use the XTC(VSTIM) with 64bit windows, it does not work. XTC mode is used with the Scope app closed. i do not recommend it. XTC mode severely cripples the XITEs capabiilties. it is a holdover from XP and Scope v3. treat Scope devices and the Scope environment as external hardware, as that is what it is in Windows world.
My computer still freezes when I open FL Studio after doing the routing in Scope, so I decided to download the trial version of Cubase 12 to see if the problem is persistent in another DAW. After doing the routing in Scope, I opened Cubase, and just like in FL Studio, the whole computer froze when Cubase’s startup screen read “Initializing Video Player”.

Am I supposed to save and close the Scope project after initial routing before opening the DAW? Both of those DAWs had the driver set to Scope Xite ASIO when they made the computer freeze.

My computer is an Acer Aspire desktop with only one PCIe slot, a 10th generation Intel Core i5 and 16GB RAM (originally 8GB).

Edit: The computer also freezes when I insert a 24 bit Wave destination in Scope’s routing window.

Edit 2: ANY time that I open any STS sampler in Scope’s routing window, I get the BSOD. Just a side question, can the STS-5000 be used as a vocal harmonizer?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

You´re using the wrong machine and if not, it seems to be bad configurated for SCOPE/XITE !
Your Acer Aspire desktop might share too many ressources w/ that one-and-only PCIe slot and XITE-1.
Don´t treat XITE-1 as a Windows audiocard.
It can be used as "such", but it´s not ideal for.

The STS samplers (and some other devices/modules) don´t work in 64Bit systems for the time being.
I dunno what comes w/ Scope v8,- so I hope they will do again.

Here´s a lot of info in the forum about computer configuration and "workarounds" for XITE (and PCI systems).
Please read.

:)

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

STS5000 only „harmonizes“ existing samples, it doesn‘t act like a life vocal processor (Autotune, Vocoder, etc).
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:14 pm You´re using the wrong machine and if not, it seems to be bad configurated for SCOPE/XITE !
Your Acer Aspire desktop might share too many ressources w/ that one-and-only PCIe slot and XITE-1.

The STS samplers (and some other devices/modules) don´t work in 64Bit systems for the time being.
I dunno what comes w/ Scope v8,- so I hope they will do again.

Here´s a lot of info in the forum about computer configuration and "workarounds" for XITE (and PCI systems).
Please read.

Bud
What other Scope plugins besides the STS samplers are you aware of that cause the BSOD?
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:57 am i haven't used use FL since win 98, but...

Such a shame that XTC mode is really just 32 bit only :(, I mean, if it is, what’s the purpose of putting the SetupVSTIMScopeXite64 file in if it won’t work? I really hope that Scope 8 (or another future version) will provide a better, more modern alternative to the XTC mode, so we could load Scope plugins (such as the ones in the Classic Synth’n’Sampler and Mix’n’Master bundles) as VSTs in 64 bit DAWs!

Speaking of the classic bundles, why isn’t Miniverb included?
garyb

Post by garyb »

personally, i thin k XTC mode sucks. it uses too many resources and it is not how the cards were originally designed to use. it is quite troublesome. it is in as a placeholder. certainly the aim is to have it working in 64bit. remember, when Scope was designed, there was no such thing as a 64bit os. because there are those who have opinions differing from mine, every attmept is being made to make XTC mode functional.

did you get the information pdf for v7? it lists most of the known issues and has setup suggestions. you can get it from support.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Eiffel65Fan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 am What other Scope plugins besides the STS samplers are you aware of that cause the BSOD?
I didn´t say every device or module not working as expected in 64Bit systems cause BSOD.
But a "tapedelay64" in Modular IV, which is a optional application anyway, seemed to be the culprit when I loaded Modular IV and FleXor III presets in the Modular IV shell.
Some time ago, someone listed these presets causing BSOD or errors somewhere in this forum,- so there´s a chance working around the issue by not loading these presets.

Do you use Modular IV and FleXor III ?

Bud
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:54 am
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 am What other Scope plugins besides the STS samplers are you aware of that cause the BSOD?
I didn´t say every device or module not working as expected in 64Bit systems cause BSOD.
But a "tapedelay64" in Modular IV, which is a optional application anyway, seemed to be the culprit when I loaded Modular IV and FleXor III presets in the Modular IV shell.
Some time ago, someone listed these presets causing BSOD or errors somewhere in this forum,- so there´s a chance working around the issue by not loading these presets.

Do you use Modular IV and FleXor III ?

Bud
I do not intend to use the Modular at all, I find it too complicated and cumbersome for my needs.
dante

Post by dante »

VDAT has issues on x64
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

So, I just came to the conclusion that my computer may not be properly configured to generate sound from the Xite. The setup manual says to disable these settings in BIOS:

Intel EIST
Intel C State
C1E Support
Overspeed Protection
Hyperthreading
Execute Bit Support
Set Limit CPUID MaxVal to 3
Intel Virtual Tech
Intel VT-D Tech

But since I am running Windows 11, I can't find these settings in the BIOS anywhere! And after I turn both the Xite and the computer on, when I try to configure the Audio settings in Windows Settings, it is extremely slow and laggy to navigate through. I already mentioned that my computer has only one PCIe slot, where the Scope soundcard is connected, but there is also only one regular PCI slot that is already taken up by the graphics card.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

BIOS (UEFI) has nothing to do w/ Windows (11) !!!

To enter your BIOS,- you typically PRESS and HOLD [F1] or [Delete] (look into your hardware manual) at startup until the BIOS screen (and it´s tabs) appears.
The BIOS is your computer´s hardware (mainboard) OS which runs w/o any MS, Linux or Mac operating system installed at all.

You might not find every of the BIOS entries mentioned above in your post,- or they might have slightly different names.
So be care full and read the explanations (typically to the right of the screen) for every entry you click on.
Use the BIOS help function !

Because of your posts I recognize you might be a newbie,- so please be very careful or leave the configuration of your pro audio machine for a qualified DAW builder.

When you don´t now what to do, you might ruin your default BIOS settings and render the machine useless until wrong BIOS settings will be corrected.
At least, you should learn how to use your double BIOS memory chip for a BIOS backup BEFORE you change settings and accidently save over the default.
I guess your machine offers that option.

Bud
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Eiffel65Fan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:15 am
But since I am running Windows 11, I can't find these settings in the BIOS anywhere! And after I turn both the Xite and the computer on, when I try to configure the Audio settings in Windows Settings, it is extremely slow and laggy to navigate through.
It seems that your W11 is "very busy" with its internal stuff.
One way is to switch off all that stuff which you normally don't need on a studiopc. (defender, permanent updates, harddisk indexing)
On W10 shutdown10 or W10privacy allowed to trim windows. I don't know about W11, as I uninstalled it after some important programs refused to work there. You need a backup unless you're absolutely sure, what you're doing here.

The second way is to forbid W11 to do all that powersaving stuff, which makes it feel laggy, too. On W10 you could set the level of energysaving vs performance at the battery symbol on the lower right.

Biossetting is very dependent on the bios. Some mainboards (like msi) hide everything, while some asus allow settings for absolute experts.
Although I trimmed my bios, I once tried Xite on a laptop (HP Elitebook 7880W), which only had a trimmed W10 and it worked smooth and fast.
To my experience, biossettings allow to get the last 10%, but most problems arise from all that bloat within W10/W11.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
garyb

Post by garyb »

EIST and Hyperthreading are the important settings.
not all processors have Hyperthreading.
EIST is also called Enhanced Intel Speeedstep Technology. with AMD processors it is usually called something like "Cool and Quiet".
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Thanks everybody for all the tips and advice, but for some very annoying reason, I still can’t get sound to come out properly.
You´re using the wrong machine and if not, it seems to be bad configurated for SCOPE/XITE !
I have read that ASUS motherboards work well with Scope, is there any particular ASUS motherboard that works best? And are there any seperate Scope drivers that need to be installed after the initial Xite hardware driver for the audio to work? As said before, apparently using the Xite as a sound card causes my computer to freeze, but if I select ASIO4ALLv2 in the sequencer’s audio settings, the routing doesn’t get recognised by the sequencer.

There really aren’t enough Scope troubleshooting or demonstration videos on YouTube, alas…