Windozer 11

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Re: Windozer 11

Post by fidox »

yayajohn wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:17 am Well there's definitely erratic behavior.
At the moment, I want to figure out, why I have in Chromium based browsers clicks and pops in sound, youtube or any video material.
In all of them, no matter which i try.
Firefox is working fine, but i'm not using it a lot.
I know scope 5.1 driver could be a problem, but it was ok before fresh installation.
Can't figure out anymore what was the cause or what do i have to tweak ...
valis

Post by valis »

Samplerate for the windows audio stack.
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:29 am Samplerate for the windows audio stack.
Thanks, was just "restoring to defaults" in windows sound settings, despite I was already checking settings there.
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:29 am Samplerate for the windows audio stack.
Was lowering ULLI settings, much better, still.
valis

Post by valis »

THE most important thing is that the samplerate in Scope and any recording/destination pairs enabled in Windows' control panel all match.

If you "Open Sound Settings" (right click on vol icon) and/or go to System > Sound in the control panel, you can scroll down and the link that says "More sound settings" still opens that (presumably soon legacy) panel to manage everything in one place.

Since you know your Scope samplerate, you can simply select each Scope device listed (in playback and recording tabs) by right clicking on them and choosing properties, then going to the "Advanced" tab and setting the correct rate and bit-depth to match your Scope device modules. I believe the V7 drivers are not sensitive to LOWER bitrates, and since the Windows audio stack will handle format conversion you should be ok in either case that way. Sending high bit-depth data into a 16bit module for Youtube videos is probably not worth worrying about anyway, but I do find everything works best when I ensure they all match.

Forcing windows to help with the conversion process also introduces the added complexity of what API is being accessed, and at this point Directsound and others are actually legacy and long since replaced with a new API that functions differently. Upsampling to 192Khz and 32bit is not uncommon even with cheap laptops in this era, at least within the API itself. Other codepaths work as MME once did, in that they stick with what you give them as best as possible.

And so that's why you have glitches in some web browsers but not others, etc. Of course gpu accelleration once played a role here with browsers in the past, but hopefully any hardware that is capable of running Win11 is long since capable of avoiding these issues as well (bus contention and driver releasing hardware, etc).

It's also worth visiting the Communications tab here and setting it to 'Do nothing" before closing the property panel.

Note that this same process will even improve stability for things like video games using gaming soundcards and onboard (realtek, etc.) chip-sets.
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:57 am I believe the V7 drivers are not sensitive to LOWER bitrates
V7 works fine.

Checked everything again and most obvious was lowering ULLI settings.
valis

Post by valis »

Glad it worked out, my text is also there to be of use to whoever needs it, especially as the matching samplerate fix works for so many other things as well. Meaning specifically matching the recording and playback to be the same, even on native chipsets where there is no clock control per se.
fidox

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:09 am Glad it worked out
Yea, it's fine now. I remember that I had ULLI settings lower than 44.1/25ms, so now is at 44.1/7ms and all browsers plays audio without a glitch.
It's not my main audio computer, but since I have extra 3x Luna II cards with Scope 5.1 installed,
i have this computer more like for multimedia,
listening music, internet .... and time to time I use it in sync thru adat cards to my main audio machine, where I have Scope v7 and pci cards, works like a charm. :)
Now both machines upgraded to Win11 64bit.
valis

Post by valis »

Glad to hear it.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I just came across this guide for live performances using Windows PCs/ laptops.
It´s pretty complete and seems to be updated from previous version(s).

https://gigperformer.com/docs/ultimate- ... index.html

The services section is interesting too !

:wink:

Bud
fidox

Post by fidox »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:06 am I just came across this guide for live performances using Windows PCs/ laptops.
It´s pretty complete and seems to be updated from previous version(s).
The services section is interesting too !
Cool one , was just checking whole guide and my Windows settings.