1 WEEK SPRING 'N' SCOPE OFFER INCLUDING SCOPE BETA 8!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

pranza

Re: 1 WEEK SPRING 'N' SCOPE OFFER INCLUDING SCOPE BETA 8!

Post by pranza »

uuuu, v8

is XTC mode back?
shayart

Post by shayart »

Holger Drenkelfort wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:50 am LINK TO THE OFFER:
https://sonic-core.de/product/scope-xite-1/

offer - width 658.jpg

Hy holger How are you, I hope you are well
I might be interested in another scope xite 1 unit😊
With the scope v8 system…..

I also sent you a message on Facebook inbox…

I have a few questions...get back to me when you can
Thanks shay dam
Holger Drenkelfort

Post by Holger Drenkelfort »

Hey Shay! Thank you! All fine! The problem with Scope v8 currently is it has driver crashes and this leads to blue screens which can damage the Windows system. It is the reason we did not start the Beta testing yet. it Unfortunately it takes long time to test since the crash occurs randomly. I'll contact you on FB...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Holger Drenkelfort wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:36 pm The problem with Scope v8 currently is it has driver crashes and this leads to blue screens which can damage the Windows system. It is the reason we did not start the Beta testing yet. it Unfortunately it takes long time to test since the crash occurs randomly.
Hi Holger !

Awfull issue,- but good to know !
Good luck w/ development in the hope you´ll get it sorted out soon.

all the best

:)

Bud
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

Holger Drenkelfort wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:36 pm Hey Shay! Thank you! All fine! The problem with Scope v8 currently is it has driver crashes and this leads to blue screens which can damage the Windows system. It is the reason we did not start the Beta testing yet. it Unfortunately it takes long time to test since the crash occurs randomly. I'll contact you on FB...
Are you testing on multiple systems? e.g. does it crash on x64 vs x32, Win 10 vs Win 11 etc ? Certain motherboards? Maybe you could release a 'crash-test' beta to say 20 users with different configs, in return they send their full system configs, crash frequency and what they were doing when it crashed (incl crash logs). If some users don't experience crash at all then analyse what those systems have in common (or not).

Yes it would take a long time on one system, one user, but multi system analysis could accelerate the process or even isolate the issue faster.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I guess, as long the issue might damage any user´s OS (as Holger mentioned above),- they´ll have to test internally until at least this possibility is been sorted out evidently.
And don´t forget Win7 !
Many users here use still because it doesn´t need any updates and connectivity to the web anymore.

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, win7, but win10 and 11 work fine. really, there's rarely a need to update a working system.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:19 am yes, win7, but win10 and 11 work fine. really, there's rarely a need to update a working system.
QFT !

I only mentioned because "LunaMan" above was focussed on Win10/11,- AND because my main DAW machine is Win7 still and there´s no need to upgrade,- at least for me.
So, I´d appreciate when the new driver will support Win7 too, although my 2 laptops are Win10 and 11.

We´ll see ... :wink:

Bud
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

Obviously such an exercise wouldn’t exclude any windows OS - the more the merrier - even XP. I'm sure some users have secondary systems they don't mind breaking for the cause - depends on what Holger means by 'damage' - for example, does it damage the OS files & if so, does creating backup/restore points mitigate that ? Then a savvy user could investigate which file(s) got damaged by sorting descending on file update dates.
Thats all info worth collecting to hunt down such a bug. I imagine Holger might be already past these points, but even so, maybe more data is better than less.
valis

Post by valis »

A crash with a modern SSD can leave the disk in a state, where the OS is unrepairable. In some cases, the disc itself can be corrupt on a low level and rendered completely unusable.
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

Wow ! Holger must be ripping through those SSD's !
pranza

Post by pranza »

i can make about 10 BSODs per hour with Scope. my windows 11 is still alive!

win 8 wouldn't withstand it (one time you get welcomed by blank screen - ntdll is missing or something along the lines) but win11 is more resilient! however, you still corrupt data of non-windows applications which are open at the time of crash so be careful - stop services like mysql before playing with Scope. it's like a submarine - you'd rather close all hatches before diving, hehe.

there is a command which you can run next boot after your Scope crashes - DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
if it detects something wrong, run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
it keeps windows in shape.

blue screens, i suppose, root from the nineties and because we have mostly nineties code with increased version numbering, the numbering alone doesn't help. i remember it crashing on XP, now it has gotten even more extreme because more and more windows components misfits Scope coding.

the strange thing is, it is possible to escape these crashes after quite an effort and doing some voodoo, but you never know when is your lucky strike...
as it wasn't fixed by 5.1, it naturally lurks in all the later versions unless it is thrown away completely along the road, like XTC support was. it's because of bugs that ARE there it's just you have less chances of triggering them because of reduced functionality now.
i suspect, in scope 9, 10, 11 the functionality will be reduced till in v12 there is no code as such at all hence nothing to trigger blue screen, or, similar effect can be achieved even today, by not installing scope software at all ;P

i can't _USE_ scope extensively if i want a stable computer, that's a fact, and always has been.
yet, taking away functionality that existed for decades - like abandoning of VDAT, abandoning of XTC - just to decrease chances of stumbling upon bugs - i don't accept that and i WILL run VDAT, i WILL run XTC, i will crash my PC multiple times again and again until software is fixed!!! i won't buy new version which does not crash because it does not do stuff it used to do! it will crash anyway (as we're witnessing with v7 and v8 beta), so it rather has those functions!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

pranza wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:41 pm
... in scope 9, 10, 11 the functionality will be reduced till in v12 there is no code as such at all hence nothing to trigger blue screen, or, similar effect can be achieved even today, by not installing scope software at all ;P
:lol:

you can dream !

Who tells there will be a SCOPE v9-12 at all when we´ve never seen v7.1 up to now ?
pranza wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:41 pm i can't _USE_ scope extensively if i want a stable computer, that's a fact, and always has been.
yet, taking away functionality that existed for decades - like abandoning of VDAT, abandoning of XTC - just to decrease chances of stumbling upon bugs - i don't accept that and i WILL run VDAT, i WILL run XTC, i will crash my PC multiple times again and again until software is fixed!!! i won't buy new version which does not crash because it does not do stuff it used to do! it will crash anyway (as we're witnessing with v7 and v8 beta), so it rather has those functions!
You can do what you like,- but I don´t see these BSODs at all because I use the existing SCOPE for what it does best and not for what I wished it should do.

I guess XTC will be a separate application in future and like it was announced some time ago,- and it will use "Joana" as the prefered audio-interface and not the PCI cards and XITE.

Anyway, I don´t need XTC and use VDAT and STS on a 32Bit machine w/ SCOPE 5.1 while using SCOPE 7 32 and 64Bit on different machines too.
In fact, I love not throwing older computers into the bin and saving electronic scrap,- then power ´em up when I need.

Bud
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Hi There,
I agree somnewhat with Bud that you should use SCOPE for what it does best.

There are ways, of course, to bring SCOPE synths and FX's into your mixes without XTC by sending midi or audio to SCOPE and bringing it back to the sequence via ASIO sends. I do this at times and when happy with the resuls save them as wav files, because there will likely be some latency that you will need to address in the mix.
Also the Akai samnples play in Kontakt (and the like) so if I need them I load them there and save the .nki files for future use.
I wi=ork in XITE-1 mostly, but I also have a second DAW with a Pulsar 2 card running SCOPE 5.1. I often load my AKAI samples in a STS 4000 there while working to get the right sound, then there is a choice to save the audio into the sequence from there or to move back to the main PC to load the instrument in Kontakt (Kontakt method has far less latency to deal with).

Maybe I am missing the point but I don't feel we have lost any functionality (maybe just convenience).

I am looking forward to the release of SCOPE 8 and SDK SCOPE 8.
Have a good one
maus
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:32 am I guess XTC will be a separate application in future and like it was announced some time ago,- and it will use "Joana" as the prefered audio-interface and not the PCI cards and XITE.
Theres no indication "Joanna" will be a Sharc DSP device or a VST wrapper, or indeed anything other than a concept.
mausmuso wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:08 pm Maybe I am missing the point but I don't feel we have lost any functionality (maybe just convenience).
Convenience is everything these days. Once I get a new single slot Video card for the Wintel machine I'll have a slot to rehook up XITE and ADAT Moduler 4 to Mac Studio for use in Luna. Would be great to have all that on one machine, but it will be awesome anyway.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

LunaMan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:41 am
Theres no indication "Joanna" will be a Sharc DSP device or a VST wrapper, or indeed anything other than a concept.
I didn´t say "Joanna" will be a Sharc DSP device or a VST wrapper.
In only said XTC might or will be a separate application as it was announced when SCOPE v7 was released,- AND "Joanna" will be a new hardware device/interface WHEN being released.

There was no clear announcement WHEN that will be other than "in about a year".
Consequently it will be upcoming year earliest,- if at all.
You never know until it´s real.

Bud
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Any news on SCOPE 8 yet?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Mr Arkadin wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:50 am Any news on SCOPE 8 yet?
unfortunately,- NO !

Bud
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:42 am
I didn´t say "Joanna" will be a Sharc DSP device or a VST wrapper.
In only said XTC might or will be a separate application as it was announced when SCOPE v7 was released,- AND "Joanna" will be a new hardware device/interface WHEN being released.

Bud
Actually, you said '....IT will use Joanna...', not '...AND Joanna will be......'
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

LunaMan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:31 am
Actually, you said '....IT will use Joanna...', not '...AND Joanna will be......'
Stop splitting hair here.
Don´t tramp on my nerves w/ senseless posts.

Here´s no one knowing what comes in future and when,- and how it will work at the end of the day.
Ask Sonic Core.

:roll:

Bud