How to import *.pre files

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

NoahRebirth

How to import *.pre files

Post by NoahRebirth »

Hi, how do i import *.pre Files to the Noah? Only via PCI Card? The Software does not accept *.pre Files. :-?

Thanks in advance
Bud Weiser

Re: How to import *.pre files

Post by Bud Weiser »

NoahRebirth wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:32 am Hi, how do i import *.pre Files to the Noah? Only via PCI Card? The Software does not accept *.pre Files. :-?

Thanks in advance
PCI card ? :-?

Noah preset files use suffix .npl (noah preset list).
Noah (EX) is connected via USB to a host computer running Noah Remote Editor software.
You save Noah presets to and import from computer/NRE by using NRE Synchronizer (read the manual !) and/or to/from CF card.
You have to create your own presets using Noah front panel or NRE and keep all,- Noah IF (internal flash memory), preset lists in NRE (on computder drive) and on CF card up to date.
That´s it according to the routine.

Scope device´s preset lists aren´t compatible.
P. ex., all meanwhile updated Scope synths offering internal FX are stereo (or multi-) out and these additional parameters are part of a preset.
Noah devices, except (IIRC) B2003, are mono out and FX are part of the Noah mixer´s main section,- chorus, delay and reverb.
Chorus, delay and reverb are global.
In addition, you can use 2 (two !) insert FX only across Noah DSP slots/ mixer input channels.
That´s it according to Noah´s FX assignment.
Means: Different preset structure and content.

Conclusion:
You cannot import presets done in SCOPE into Noah / Noah Remote Editor software by just only file transfer.
Instead, you better create presets for Noah exclusively using Noah front panel and/or Noah Remote Editor and save as described above.

For the optional Prophet 5, you need to use the Noah Remote Editor ´cause it doesn´t show all the "synth" paramenters in Noah(EX) display on front panel and these parameters aren´t assigned to any of the available rotary controls and buttons at all.
For Prophet 5, output routing and MIDI parameters ARE editable from Noah front panel.
Seems, Prophet 5 didn´t receive it´s final update until Noah as a Creamware product was discontinued and Creamware went bancrupt.

All the other devices seem to be fully editable using front panel controls.

That´s my experience since I´ve reflashed Noah EX w/ latest firmware/OS, updated Remote Editor and drivers to latest state v1.1 and dived deeper into Noah.

Please correct me if I´m wrong,- last but not least ´cause I´m interested in squeezing out as much as possible from Noah EX.

I can imagine, a Scope preset (.pre) to Noah presetlist (.npl) conversion tool, ignoring advanced features of younger SCOPE device´s presets, would help a lot.
But AFAIK, it doesn´t exist and there are no people being interested in investing time coding such application,- even it would have been cool such tool existed in Noah Remote Editor software already,- but AFAIK it doesn´t.

So,- simply take Noah(EX) like any other more or less self contained synthesizer module, use it as such and be happy there´s a well working Remote Editor Software existing at all.
Also enjoy it´s audio-interface features via WAVE and ASIO driver using USB as well.
Consider at which time it was developed, released and got updated,- and recognize it´s trendsetting features for that time.
IMO it´s still a great machine w/ excellent sonic quality !

:)

Bud
NoahRebirth

Post by NoahRebirth »

Hello Bud, thanks for your detailed answer.

Of course the CF Card, not the PCMCIA :D
I had assumed that there were noah files and none of the scope. but of course that explains a lot. I'll work on that a little bit. the software is now running on a virtual machine. Unfortunately, the GUI for the Vectron and Prophet does not work, or rather, it is not displayed at all when I click on it in the software. use the v1.1.
Still work but worth to keep this machines alive and in use. The plugs sounds fantastic in my opinion.
Regards
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

NoahRebirth wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:03 am Hello Bud, thanks for your detailed answer.
no biggie ... :wink:
NoahRebirth wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:03 am Of course the CF Card, not the PCMCIA :D
There isn´t PCI nor PCMCIA for Noah(EX),- so why do you mention ?
Do you use Scope/XITE-1 on a laptop and had in mind transfering presets between Scope and Noah (being connected via USB at the same time) that way, while Scope and Noah Remote Editor software are running on the same machine simultaneously ?
NoahRebirth wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:03 am ... the software is now running on a virtual machine.
O.k., that´s something I´d be interested in as well, but don´t have any experience in "how to set up".
Can you please elaborate a bit more ?

Is it possible running Noah Remote Editor v1.1 in a virtual machine under Win 7 Pro 32Bit p.ex. ?
How to install/ set up ?

I´d like to try because the Acer laptop I use to run Noah Remote Editor was originally not delivered w/ Win XP 32Bit and I had a very hard time finding drivers.
At the end of the day, some Win Vista drivers worked, but ideally, Win 7 Pro SP1 32Bit would be perfect and all the essential drivers are available still.
And w/ Win 7,- I´d be able to use a SSD supporting "trim" command.
I have a OWC SATA2 SSD, originally made for old Mac upgrades and also be usable for Windows,- but Win XP doesn´t handle SSDs well.

So, Noah Remote Editor running fully functional in a virtual machine under Win 7 would be very welcome.
NoahRebirth wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:03 am Unfortunately, the GUI for the Vectron and Prophet does not work, or rather, it is not displayed at all when I click on it in the software. use the v1.1.
Do you run virtual machine in a 64Bit system ?
That could be the culprit.
I also remember I had a similar issue w/ Win XP 32Bit when installing optional devices like Prophet 5.
It ran in Noah but GUI didn´t appear in the Editor.
IIRC, i fixed that by deleting these devices from Noah IF (internal flash) using Noah frontpanel menue, wiped related device folders in Remote Editor from disk, then used .oxe files to re-install ´em one by one.

The issue appeared when I installed as much as possible devices in one go using the "noah_default_edsp_prod.dmp" file, which is the larger one out of two being available for the re-flash process.
When I tried to install the "noah_profit5_additionals" files into related folders in Remote Editor by copy and paste,- it worked,- but GUI didn´t appear in editor.
To install a perfect working version 1.1 software incl. drivers, it´s also essential disabling MS driver signing and make it permanent.
I had to find out the hard way under Win XP already when WAVE and ASIO drivers refused to install before I did.
Windows 10/11 doesn´t allow making it permanent,- so I´d avoid these systems at all.
You disable driver signing temporary only on these systems.

In Win XP, I got all to run well, though ...

But "virtual machine" in Win 7 32Bit is what I´m interested in to try for future ´cause Win XP machines will disappear here too.
Now extreme energy costs in europe prohibit running too many machines simultaneously.
A.t.m., I have to pay about 12.5x more for 1 kWh than users in the US have to pay for.
It´s insane !!!

:)

Bud