Midi to CV 2 (works standalone without KrOn)

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Midi to CV 2 (works standalone without KrOn)

Post by spacef »

At last, I found the time to update the Midi to CV device with a transpose function, and with 3 octaves useable standalone (without KrOn).
You plug this device just before an input of your ADAT to CV converter.

Especially valuable, the ability to transpose down/up as you wish while keeping the right intervals/temperaments between notes/octaves over the whole tuning range.

- Two Modes instead of 3
1// For KrOn: when there is a KrOn connected.
2// Standalone: You can transpose by 1 octave down or up. You can play on 3 octaves only for the moment (not a technical limitation, more a matter of time available to implement 2 extra octaves).

other new:
- pitch bend can be set up to +12 semi-tones through continuous, non-stepped, values (it is not difficult to tune). No negative values yet (not tested yet if possible).
- preset label at the top has the same colors as KrOn's labels (so you can graphically match midi to cv devices to KrOn outputs/labels). You can still use the "module name" to name the device in an informative way at project level (module name in project window).
- Now you can enjoy loading several "MidiCV2", set different midi channels, transpose them differently (create chords?), use different pitch bend values and portamento, and of course, create splits with the keyboard range parameters, even in standalone mode.

Also:
- The Transpose and Fine Tune potis are different in each mode (ie, it is not the same potis, not the same values/range).
- Transposing can have a different effect depending on each oscillator. if the oscillator cannot go further down, you will hear the sound going up at some point, which seems normal (at least through the expert sleepers ES-3) . All works fine with all the oscillators I have (I only have 3, digital and analog). EDIT: I may have removed the ability to go too low and experienced the reverse tuning (possibly due to unipolarisation of a bipolar signal).... that's why standalone mode only offers one octave down (the second octave is not accepted and notes are wrong). You may still experience this in some situations (I haven't determined which situation would cause this, but it's possible).

- The middle value is not necessarily 0: it is around the middle, which you can reach by selecting the poti and pressing "arrow up". Then you can adjust with the Fine Tune if necessary. ----> You could use 0.000 as a starting point on the Transpose poti, then use the Fine Tune. Then add the fine tune value to the transpose value, and put fine tune again at zero. The values in "Transpose" and "Fine Tune" are in the same range/units and can be added together if it works better for you that way.
- As you know, all hardware oscillators are not the same in terms of precision over the 5V range, and some of them can be harder to tune. The best trick is to tune using several notes on different octaves and finding the best compromise for correct tuning over the 5V range. Or tune better for that part/range that is playing on your eurorack through scope.

- There are values written on the surface of the device: these are approximate values for octaves or 5th etc.... The values suppose that your oscillators are more or less well-tuned otherwise they will not be very helpful.
- The min/max value of each mode is not written on the surface of the device but is available and corresponds to octaves.
- You should save a preset of your own favorite recurrent tuning. Would be nice If you let me know if the values are similar or radically different from the ones labeled on the surface panel. I could have placed user-editable text labels but did not have the courage to do it on this version (+ would it be really useful: let me know).

Of course, there is still a bit of latency- because the note detection must go from scope to windows and back to scope, but this latency is acceptable and playable (depends also on your Ulli settings): it is playable and sounds fine in a DAW (especially if you can delay the midi tracks by a few milliseconds (I think I use -7ms when using the SDK). But this device can save you from buying a midi to CV modular interface (between 89 and 129 euros or more) -or at least allows you to postpone such purchase - and it has more functions, is midi controllable, has presets, and you can use 16 per midi driver (or more realistically 8 per ADAT converter). gates and Midi CC controllers are managed inside KrOn or other devices (because Midi to CV is routed to the V/Oct input of oscillators, which has nothing t do with gates, CC or modulators).

Well, just play now :-)
Attachments
MiditoCV2.jpg
MiditoCV2.jpg (102.67 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
MIDI CV2.zip
(633.46 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website