new system for Xite 1D

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

borg

new system for Xite 1D

Post by borg »

hi there,

It's been a while, here on the forums, but also on my Scope rig. I've been doing music mostly on a mac laptop in Ableton, and my Scope machine has been in atOm his studio for a while.
Decided to let him have the computer with the PCI cards, and only keep the Xite 1D in a new machine. It will be a machine mainly for Ableton and Xite, and maybe for video if time permits. I don't use extensive sample libraries like Kontakt or the like, I'm mostly using Ableton's native plugins and a few select 3rd party plugs (Soundtoys, Eventide, PluginAlliance). Since Live 11 (or is it 10) there's no Win XP support anymore, so I'm asking also what OS would be best (I have very little windows experience, apart from XP).
atOm put together a machine on paper, but he's not that up to snuff as he used to, so he suggested to ask around here first. So here it is, fire away:

Intel Core i7-11700K motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z590-V processor
ASUS GeForce GT 730 (GT730-4H-SL-2GD5) graphics (might upgrade if I really get into video stuff)
Antec P82 Silent case
Crucial Ballistix MAX BLM2K16G44C19U4B ram
be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W CM power supply
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB harddrive

looking forward to opinions!

cheers,
Andy
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
garyb

Re: new system for Xite 1D

Post by garyb »

i don't see an issue.
i would use a magnetic drive for your working drive and project storage. i'd use the ssd for os and app files. a regular hdd is probably more reliable for heavy read/write over a long period of time.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I'd use a SSD/HDD mix as gary wrote, but I'd set the HDD in a raid0. (thus 1*SSD, 2*HDD)
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I have 3 DAW machines and 2 laptops (for mobility),- 1 laptop for XITE-1 and 1 laptop for Noah Remote Editor.
2 desktop machines run SCOPE PCI and SCOPE XITE,- the 3rd uses a RME card.
For every machine the recording drive is a HDD,- internal or (for laptop) external.
I still use WD VelocyRaptor, 10K/rpm SATA 600, 300GB HDDs.
SSDs for OS, apps and sample libraries.
PCIe x3 NVMe M.2 for NI Kontakt sample streaming.

I never trusted SSDs for recording.

:)

Bud
borg

Post by borg »

thanks all! There seems to be a consensus here... I'll take it into account.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
astroman

Post by astroman »

Regarding HD capacity: the lower the volume, the less heat they emit (less platters inside means less air friction).
Since I made that VDAT test ages ago (24 or 32 tracks at once) on a 2.5“ notebook disk (5200rpm), I have few concerns about capabilities of any quality brand disk.
Not to forget: you usually can recover HDs in case of failure, but not SSDs.