How did you open 2022?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

How did you open 2022?

Post by dante »

Mine :

New Year 2022

. Didn’t go out for New Years night. Watched fireworks at home with wifey and Champaign then watched funky stuff on Rage.

. Got up 6am - Worked on cover version ‘In the Dead of Night’ with new CS80 plug.

. Updated Enigmasoft virus protection on both office and DAW machines.

. Updated UAD software. Pain in the arse as both Reason and Harrison have to do lengthy VST scans.

. Rendered proWave and proTone stems for INXS cover.

. Garden path cleanup. After all, ya can’t catch COVID from a Kartcher can ya ?

. Realized that in April - 65th birthday - have unconditional access to super. New Years Resolution. Birthday present to myself will be the Dave Smith desktop OB-6. Note : some jewelry of equal value to wifey to balance out the equation 😎.

. Now sitting in Cinema for the first time in ages - awaiting start of Matrix Resurrection. Only Neo could draw me out of isolation.
spacef

Re: How did you open 2022?

Post by spacef »

I don't go out anymore on new year's eve, probably since 2000. New year's eve is about a cosy family dinner with mum and my bro, who has caught covid (but he is vaccinated so it is like a annoying flue, he is much better now after a week but still positive), so he is confined in what was my bedroom , and was with us at the table through Visio (amazing times, lol).

Two days earlier, we went to see "Pixel" a modern dance show mixing modern dance and hip hop.. amazing show, amazing music (lots of granular synthesis), so great to see all those people from many origins mixed together and conveying emotions. A breath, an elevation of the mind in current times, in this France which seems more and more fascinated by fascist ideas and where people are less and less able or willing to live together (as it is the case in many countries), afraid of everything, the present, the future, the others, the 'differents'. Depressing because this is likely to get worse this year, "you got to keep them seperated" is ringing in my mind for days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Hu57QTqqE (does not convey 1% of what it is in reality).

The next day I woke up early as usual, worked on a synth for scope that i've been working on on for months, then got depressed by the shitty sound that probably doesn't interest anyone because it is the same old modules that have been used and over-used and it is difficult to get out of the sound we know without tons of aliasing and distortion, then went back to watching 'trailer park boys" in the bed, and passed most of the day half awake and cosy. Perfect if you ask me (in the past i used to go in the alps and wake up early to go skiing when everyone was still sleeping. It always snowed, which is less likely to happen in the future). We had a bright sun and blue sky , it's still quite warm.

I am waiting for next week to get a new headphone , keyboard and a couple of chinese guitar pedals to replace the one that die after a couple of years (quality is shiot but the price is so low that you could buy a new one every year for 10 years and still not reach the price of a boutique pedal). A friend sent me a reggae track to work on, so it's cool. I will probably do more music next year. I am still working on that scope synth a little b it everyday, trying stuff but still not getting anywhere special, got a small contract to work on a ambitious streaming service (but I think the customer is stingy, still waiting for the down payment to begin the work), so i continue sending resumes, reconnected with some friends that still prefer telephone to SMS and social networks, try to setup an app to let users make their own overlays for midi controllers (difficult work, not in a hurry though), noticed that we don't have news from DAwMan Jimmy V for several months (tried to message him but no reply yet) , and so decided to share my depressive comments with you so we can have fun all together :-) unless I delete it after second though just like I killed my facebook account....

tomorrow is another day. I'll see if that new headphone, keystep 37 and arican Joyo/Harley benton pedal will make me happier :-)

well, the usual ;-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I started 2022 watching fireworks, which were illegal to buy in germany this year, but easy available in neighbouring countries :D
On scope I'm trying to get more structure into the projects related files distributed over 3 PCs, which are messy style atm.
Sometimes, when I'm stuck at a certain problem, I just change over to something completely different (e.g.: troubles with midi-sysex programming >> changed over to replacing the defective mechanics under a laptop-key )
There's one week free time left for me, were creative day times are not eaten up by business.
Best wishes to all and more happyness to spacef from my side. :wink:
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

I opened 2022 with more peace in my household (and less work, financial options) than I have had in 15 years, even with 2 children. My children have been home for a long time, and so by some metrics might not be 'office material' but they are the happiest I have ever seen. I am finally ready to sit down and do some actual creative work, and am studying new subjects every day. I am literally exalted at the moment and looking forward to seeing where this leads.
dante

Post by dante »

spacef wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 pm The next day I woke up early as usual, worked on a synth for scope that i've been working on on for months, then got depressed by the shitty sound that probably doesn't interest anyone because it is the same old modules that have been used and over-used and it is difficult to get out of the sound we know without tons of aliasing and distortion
Can you reverse engineer some of the modules in Mod IV ? Or SDK doesnt allow that ?
spacef wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 pm A friend sent me a reggae track to work on, so it's cool.
I'm meaning to do more reggae tracks as well, I did one which came out OK. You need to be able to do a Jamaican accent which i have down pretty good.
spacef wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 pm I noticed that we don't have news from DAwMan Jimmy V for several months (tried to message him but no reply yet) ,
Yes I hope he is OK and comes back this new year.
spacef wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 pm tomorrow is another day. I'll see if that new headphone, keystep 37 and arican Joyo/Harley benton pedal will make me happier :-)
You mean American ? https://harleybenton.com/product/american-truetone/
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Quiet dinner with the wife. Dungeness crabs fresh from the ocean about 140km away from where I live, paired with a very dry sparkling wine.
First day of the year no computers, reading, a hike along a river, a nap with the cats, and a long noisy session of messing around with physical modular synthesis. The last part featured tons of distortion and aliasing that was very cool ( hello Mehdi)
A mostly quiet day spent appreciating life and reflecting on a pretty unusual year.
wayne

Post by wayne »

Greetings my friends - been off of here for a while - wishing you all the best for our difficult future.

I didn't do anything at all on NYE - I love not gigging that night!

We started rehearsal on the 4th for a show I'm musical directing here in Perth - 5-piece band, 13 on stage, 18 songs+.

Spent this week putting the band together - Drums, electric and double bass, tuba, pedal steel, button accordion, fiddle, mandolin, banjo, piano, acoustic and electric guitars. Set in the Western Australian desert in 1969

It's been a good year so far! Worried that the state will open up a week before we open the festival in a 1200 seat theatre
dante

Post by dante »

Aaah yes - the big WA opening ! Get ready for fun and games :) I'll think of you every time I watch another episode of The Tourist https://www.stan.com.au/watch/the-tourist. Thats SA - but outback wise not that different. Good luck w/- the show. Lotsa instrumental talent for a 5 piece. You'll be right !
spacef

Post by spacef »

dante wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 pm
Can you reverse engineer some of the modules in Mod IV ? Or SDK doesnt allow that ?

it may allow it on very old modules. I don't do it anymore though, since waldorf was not happy about my hack of their wavetable modules with renamed waves. It does not sound great anyways, not anymore nowadays at least.

The distortion and aliasing is solved with better volume management. I even did an anti aliasing filter at some point (just a 6dB lP at 20 K), just to realize that they are already there in scope by default. Aliasing in my case was because of the ring modulator only. not sure it can be changed. But I managed to work on the synth and it sounds much better, so I am happy :-)

https://soundcloud.com/user-442800355/m ... ynth-mehdi
no hack needed ... sounds good ? still a lot of fine-tuning to do....
takes a bit of DSP though... here it is at 3 voices, even though yesterday I worked with 5 voice poly without problems, but today it generated lots of DSP errors. I had to bring it down to 3 voices to be able to record something. Final devices usually take a little bit less dsp in Scope "not sdk"... will see. it will be included in BB3 full package, probably also cut in parts like other modules.

I'm meaning to do more reggae tracks as well, I did one which came out OK. You need to be able to do a Jamaican accent which i have down pretty good.
lucky you ! I am definitely not a singer ....

Yes, that's it, very good sound (low price or not). It's the first time in many tears that I could bring flavors from my deceased twin reverb i used in the 80's. This and a small cab simulation (I had mooer radar but it is dead now). Thos HB/Joyo pedals are cheap and do not last long but they are defintey worth it. I am not fond of the others of the series though. Only the "American Sound" is good to my ears.
demo with interesting comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s04Iru0prbc

Yes, aliasing can be nice, it can make weird sounds better than FM....
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website