Scope installation!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: Scope installation!

Post by valis »

A little birdy tells me that not having the samples in the sample folder that the sample osc is looking for is enough to stop the crash for that particular module. And clearly you can load the module itself in its default state, so this may be the case. The trick would be knowing where the sample (or samples) for a given full patch are so that you can remove them (even if temporarily).

I will have to test when I have a card with full keys so I can load flexor and Solaris (RD Sample osc) etc., but perhaps you can confirm this potential fix so we can add it to the FAQ.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

valis wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:26 pm A little birdy tells me that not having the samples in the sample folder that the sample osc is looking for is enough to stop the crash for that particular module. And clearly you can load the module itself in its default state, so this may be the case. The trick would be knowing where the sample (or samples) for a given full patch are so that you can remove them (even if temporarily).

I will have to test when I have a card with full keys so I can load flexor and Solaris (RD Sample osc) etc., but perhaps you can confirm this potential fix so we can add it to the FAQ.
What would that achieve? Slightly confused. If the patch crashes once a sample is in it anyway and played back what use is it to load the patch? Just avoid the patches I’ve pointed out?
garyb

Post by garyb »

because if the sample is not there, then the osc will not crash.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Yes sure, but it’s just a pointless patch then no? Just remove the patch. 🤷‍♂️
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, but there's always the chance for new sample player atoms.
the sample players were made long before 64bit.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Fingers crossed. 😊 then include back in installer once working.
valis

Post by valis »

Again, here's my thought process:

1. Generate 7.x upgrade sales
2. Document major issues and workarounds here for our reference
3. It seems sensible that the issues among those that can be fixed easily, will be facilitated by the immediate S|C income
4. Promote the fact that we have a solution for legacy users who experience hardware issues (give them trust in their investment via dynamixii)
5. Reach enough users to iterate this until the major issues are fixed

As a corollary to this, remember that this is Holger's business. So we would of course be acting with the presumption that he has his own business plan and priorities, and that works hand in hand with addressing the bugs in the order of complexity. I would guess that he might need to pull in outside help on some of this stuff, so the income stream is particularly necessary if this is the case. So the plan I outline here is just my thoughts on how we can best help, both Holger and ourselves (documenting issues in a single place and workarounds).

Thoughts?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Sounds good. That’s what my Xite-1 tips are for with regards to Xite-1

It covers all the issues I care about and hope it can save time for others by sharing it.
valis

Post by valis »

Indeed
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

dante wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:25 pm Not just the installers, but the shop should be fixed to align.

Up front in the main shop front should be all the latest and greatest stuff developed on or working on XITE x64 - eg like the DNA and Oceanswift stuff. That stuff is very cool and I never had any issues with.

Then there should be a 'Bargain Basement' - half price or less for stuff requiring legacy runtime environments - e.g. like plugs that only work reliably on 32 bit, Win7 or XP and/or PCI cards. The bargain basement stuff would come without official support at buyers risk (hence the cheap price).
Hmm I’m not sure on the bargain basement, but agree they could clearly state 64bit or/&32bit or not! So when sts samplers are listed it’s should state 32bit only and if 64bit is intended or not. As the value is still there if your os runs it! Most stuff works fine in 64bit now, so it’s not going to look bad doing this. It’s just about managing expectations. 😊
valis

Post by valis »

You're not incorrect, but I do think that feedback along those lines might be best sent to S|C directly. Otherwise posting that sort of info here is either just swapping notes at best, or complaining, or at worst expecting them to be responsive to information contained within random forum posts (what if they don't read a particular post or down the page far enough?) Which isn't to say the forums aren't read.

Also documenting workflow concerns and bugs is different than commentary on their web portal and marketing. Don't get me wrong, we should feel free to discuss things here at your leisure, but I am interested in not just managing expectations (we get a lot of blowback against a platform I can't control, and yet have to deal with the impact here regardless) but also improving workflows.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:29 am sure, but there's always the chance for new sample player atoms.
the sample players were made long before 64bit.
I understand "atoms" don´t have to be "64bit" files urgently.
There are enough old devices out there running on SCOPE/XITE 64bit.
So I wonder what the fuss is.
Why isn´t it possible leaving ´em 32bit and "just only" limit accessable memory (RAM) ?
In native Windows, 32bit apps run in 64bit environment using the x86 programs folder and these apps are also limited in RAM usage then.
Bridged 32bit VSTs run, p.ex. in Reaper 64bit, w/ the same limitaions.
Who says, "sample osc" / STS has to adress the full amount of RAM in a 64bit system ?
It won´t replace VST devices like Kontakt etc. anyway.

It seems, a "sample osc" update alone would fix many SCOPE 64Bit issues in one go.
It should be highest priority since a long time now.

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

It should be the highest priority which unfortunately could lead to the conclusion that the fact it hasn’t happened already implies it may not be as easy as ‘limiting’ its memory access programmatically.

I doubt it will ever be fixed. Glad to be proven wrong but I don’t think so.
Last edited by dante on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

dante wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 am It should be the highest priority which unfortunately could lead to the conclusion that the fact it hasn’t happened already implies it may not be as easy as ‘limiting’ its memory access programmatically.

Especially if dealing with 3rd party DLL which are essentially closed boxes.

I doubt it will ever be fixed. Glad to be proven wrong but I don’t think so.
Then they should remove it, and make it clear it won’t be updated. Be upfront, as tbh it’s not fair waving such a device infront of one’s face! If it doesn’t work. As the way the new site is and bangs on about how cool the sampler is, makes one believe it works. So make it work or remove it. 👀 don’t tease people. It comes across as a type of “trolling” 😀
dante

Post by dante »

Exactly. There’s a few things in the shop that in the absence of qualifying their runtime requirement should be simply removed.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:17 am
Then they should remove it, and make it clear it won’t be updated. Be upfront, as tbh it’s not fair waving such a device infront of one’s face! If it doesn’t work. As the way the new site is and bangs on about how cool the sampler is, makes one believe it works. So make it work or remove it. 👀 don’t tease people. It comes across as a type of “trolling” 😀
Well, then they will have to remove too much, I guess.
Think about how many devices use "sample osc" atoms in their architecture.
It´s not only STS, it´s also every ZARG synth being able to load samples.
And why doesn´t VDAT and some delays work ?
And some arpeggiator stuff etc. ...
A lot of patches would have to be sorted out and removed to avoid device crashes.

:)

Bud
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Yeah, I've basically removed all this stuff myself..

It’s not too much tbh.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

We´re talking "new users" teased to buy XITE-1 and SCOPE v7 now or,- for more money,- next year, no ?

It´s all about them randomly click on patches open devices using the malfuncioning modules/atoms and end up being disappointed,- possibly return the item, report across all social media channels, etc., etc..
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:35 am We´re talking "new users" teased to buy XITE-1 and SCOPE v7 now or,- for more money,- next year, no ?

It´s all about them randomly click on patches open devices using the malfuncioning modules/atoms and end up being disappointed,- possibly return the item, report across all social media channels, etc., etc..
Exactly.
dante

Post by dante »

Its damaging the brand - not just for newby twitter market, but us old timers as well.