Starlab

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Starlab

Post by yayajohn »

I’ve really tried hard to stay away from the Euro-crack scene lest it consume what little space I have left, but this thing sounds exceptionally good to me.
Damn you Strymon!
https://www.strymon.net/product/starlab/
Scroll down to the bottom to the video of the developer/programmer Pete Celi going through all of the features.
Peter Drake

Re: Starlab

Post by Peter Drake »

Sounds nice, looks playable, and has CV control over essential parameters. Definitely a contender.
Don't forget to leave some room in your rack for a Lightpipe/CV interface to control this with Scope and Bitwig.
valis

Post by valis »

My next upgrade is a rack+PSU and lightpipe/CV interface to interface with Kron (it's why I built a modern Scope PC in fact).

I intend to start with VCV rack + Scope and come up with a few interesting workflows then expand those into the hardware realm. Primary benefits of having it in hardware+scope is being able to process anything in here in realtime, rather than having to loop it through ASIO, and modulating effects is a huge part of this. So many software plugins still work at a fraction of realtime, so if you get heavy handed with modulation you're basically going to get granular sounds due to things moving in 1/10th audiorate or even worse, blocksizes of 1024 or 2048--which is what most of the DAW automation lanes do in our modern era.

Much like you yaya, I have tried to stay away. However there's enough interesting stuff going on in this realm to make it worth having a small 2-3 row rack imho. ModDuo X is the other thing really on my shortlist right now...
dante

Post by dante »

Looks cool - Ive been having fun with this :
AMS DMX16
AMS DMX16
AMS Pitch Shifting Delay.JPG (38.07 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Peter Drake wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 pm Sounds nice, looks playable, and has CV control over essential parameters. Definitely a contender.
Don't forget to leave some room in your rack for a Lightpipe/CV interface to control this with Scope and Bitwig.
Great advise. I think I will start out with this.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... orack-case
I’ve had a small Pittsburgh eurorack for years now but the space is maxed out and that is good because it kept me from even considering expansion options whilst getting my feet wet in the eurorack realm.
valis wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:38 am My next upgrade is a rack+PSU and lightpipe/CV interface to interface with Kron (it's why I built a modern Scope PC in fact).
intend to start with VCV rack + Scope and come up with a few interesting workflows then expand those into the hardware realm.

Much like you yaya, I have tried to stay away. However there's enough interesting stuff going on in this realm to make it worth having a small 2-3 row rack imho. ModDuo X is the other thing really on my shortlist right now...
It’s sort of like opening Pandora’s Box though. There are so many way cool modules out there. Like you Valis, the light pipe module to Scope/Kron will be my first purchase though, been waiting to do that ever since Medhi posted his demo.
dante wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:58 am Looks cool - Ive been having fun with this :
AMS Pitch Shifting Delay.JPG
Hey Dante, is that a VST or a reason module? Haven’t seen that one before. Looks very promising.

To me there was some things about Starlab that really got my attention such as when Pete’s demo showed how you can overdrive the signal and have it not sound nasty harsh. The other was the “washed out” and “wobble” sounds which are just perfect for an ambient guy like me.
Of course there were lots of other features to explore as well - not going to get bored with this one in a long while.
Hopefully Santa will bring us what we wish and we can compare notes. :)
valis

Post by valis »

Have some expenses at the moment, and looking forward to refurbished Scope cards soon too, will join you as soon as I can :wink:
dante

Post by dante »

yayajohn wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:03 am
dante wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:58 am Looks cool - Ive been having fun with this :
AMS Pitch Shifting Delay.JPG
Hey Dante, is that a VST or a reason module? Haven’t seen that one before. Looks very promising.
Thats a UAD (VST) emulation of the original hardware classic from 1978 - pairs well with the AMS RMX 16. I thought pitch shifting using a Yamaha SPX90 was cool but that was a few years later !

Strymon will be the likewise modern day classic in decades to come.