SCOPE 7 works with Windows 11!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mausmuso

SCOPE 7 works with Windows 11!

Post by mausmuso »

Hi there,
Not sure if anyone else has posted on this subject, but I have just finished upgrading my PC to be win 11 compatible and installed win 11.
Scope 7/XITE worked straight up with no BIOS tweaking (no audio crackles).
There were some issues with some software, tools and plugs with regards licensing and activation, but most of these were easily dealt with.
The PC upgrade consisted of swapping out my Mobo, upgrading the CPU, RAM and introducing a new faster M.2 PCIe SSD. Windows 10 ran first time after the hardware changes:
- I lost activation of some Waves legacy V9 plugs, which I can get back by upgrading the licenses.
- iLok is a problem I am yet to solve.
- Steinberg LCC is a bit flaky but works.
The upgrade is documented below:
Computer Upgrade.pdf
(210.04 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
I am sure there will other issues as I go forward but to date I am pretty happy with the new system.
regards
maus
Bud Weiser

Re: SCOPE 7 works with Windows 11!

Post by Bud Weiser »

That´s great news, MausMuso !

Thx for posting !

How much bloatware is Win11 compared to Win10 ?
Does "WinPrivacy" work w/ Win11 already,- or any of the other apps which can be used to shrink Windows and stop spy traffic ?

Activation issues are a nitemare always once some hardware inside a computer was changed,- mostly mainboard, system drive, graphics card.

Have fun w/ your new build and SCOPE/XITE !

:)

Bud
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:11 am How much bloatware is Win11 compared to Win10 ?
Does "WinPrivacy" work w/ Win11 already,- or any of the other apps which can be used to shrink Windows and stop spy traffic ?
Hey Bud,
I have not run any windows shrink software to date, so can't advise on that area.
Windows 11 looks a little different to 10 but I have not found much difference so far.

Almost everything runs without driver updates or software changes.
The exception for me so far is iLok. It refuses to work, even after following all the win 10 fixes online.
The Pace Service tries to start and then immediately stops, so the iLok Manager just won't run.
Anyway, this is a small problem which does not affect me too much as I only have a couple of seldom used plugs licensed on iLok.

I was originally running XITE on 3ms ULLI which worked fine for everything except Studio One 5, which has some clicks and crackles on a relatively small project (9 stems). Switching to 23ms did not fix it.
I need to have a closer look at Studio One to see if there are better processing settings for me, or if I need to start considering BIOS Tweaks etc.
Anyway early days.

As a side note, If anyone is interested, I also managed to get Davinci Resolve 17 working, which something I could not do previously (no fault of win 10)
If anyone wants to know how I can describe maybe in a separate post?

Right now I think the takeaways are:
- You can have some confident in upgrading your mobo and not having to reinstall windows 10 and all of your software, tools and plugins;
- Win 10 MBR can easily be converted to GPT to make it UEFI compatible once you have the right mobo and BIOS in place
- Win 11 update will likely be painless; and
- Scope 7 runs!!!
regards
maus
valis

Post by valis »

O&O works with Win11, Win10Privacy did not yet a week ago when I checked. There are updated lists of registry keys/policy changes etc that you can find on various forums, most are google docs again as with Win10.

Bloatware is not a primary issue, though it would be nice to see Skype and OneDrive not running by default. I think Skype is finally out in a dev preview? A bigger issue is the lack of control over updates without having access to the Group Policy Editor (Pro and up versions of Win), but as Gary suggests letting windows 'settle' for 10 mins or so should reveal if there's any updates pending (especially for NVMe installs).

Any m.2 NVME drive will likely be GPT already, unless you happened to install in the 'legacy' or 'BIOS' or "non-EFI' setting in your BIOS (this affects polling of boot devices and some USB devices). This is separate from USB handoff, which was necessary for Win7 & could be disabled after (due to Win7 lacking the proper xHCI driver in the install routine).

Also I must add, Microsoft has made the install process *and* management of the HAL and system devices immeasurably better over the years, as have Intel and other upstream hardware vendors. Even Scope PCI is painless to manage (from a driver/hardware perspective) on a modern UEFI system where the PCI bus is virtualized and hanging off a PCIe lane on the chipset. Because of the underlying ACPI/APIC and related HAL changes, I can remove & re-add Scope very quickly compared to the Win7/XP era (when swapping cards or etc).
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Just a quick update to set the record straight.
The problem with iLok had nothing to do with the hardware or windows upgrades.
I had forgotten that iLok is not compatible with Bitdefender which I installed sometime back.
Sorry for any confusion, just an old brain not remembering right.
regards
maus
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Maus and Valis,-

thx for your info !

@Maus :
Presonus Studio One Pro is already a pop and click disappointment in version v4.6.x and on Win7 Pro x64.
I also run SCOPE/XITE Asio w/ ~3ms (2.8ms precisely) on that machine.
Also the other hosts (Reaper, Tracktion, Reason 10.4 and 11.3.9).

Studio One is the only introducing clicks and pops and there´s no way to get rid off.
I believe I´ve found out it has to do w/ the way Studio One is built in regards of graphics or the other way around, how it deals w/ plugin´s graphics,- GUI animations, resizable GUI and whatelse,- possibly some library code issue.
It also needs up to 50% more CPU that the other hosts.

So, when your Win11 machine runs great w/ SCOPE/XITE and p.ex. Reaper @ 3ms, don´t wrap your head around Studio One.
It´s sloppy programming wasting ressources.
And I really hate to say because I formerly gave up Cubase for Studio One Pro and had a lot of hope since using v2.5 Pro.
And it´s also not much better on my Win10 Pro x64 laptop unfortunately.

Bud
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I don't think I was getting any clicks and pops on Studio One before and I used it regularly.
Win 10 was BIOS tweaked though
Thanks for the info
regards
maus
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

mausmuso wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:17 pm I don't think I was getting any clicks and pops on Studio One before and I used it regularly.
Win 10 was BIOS tweaked though
Thanks for the info
regards
maus
What did you tweak in BIOS (UEFI) for Win10 ?
Which mobo ?

Bud
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:07 am What did you tweak in BIOS (UEFI) for Win10 ?
Which mobo ?
Bud
Hi Bud, It was a long time back but I followed a tweaking post here on the Planet.
From memory it was disabling EIST, Hyper Threading and Turbo Mode.
My old MOBO was MSI X58A-GD65.

BTW, I was curious whether Win 10 in the new build would cause issues with Studio One.
I went back and booted from my old SSD (Win 10 Legacy Mode).
Studio One had clicks and pops, so my previous charmed life with Studio One appears gone with the old Mobo and whatever bios tweaks I once had.
maus
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

mausmuso wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:30 pm
Hi Bud, It was a long time back but I followed a tweaking post here on the Planet.
From memory it was disabling EIST, Hyper Threading and Turbo Mode.
Ah,- o.k.,- the usual stuff.

I had to activate "legacy mode" for USB3 in addition,- p.ex. to connect a 8x8 MIDI interface,- which all are USB2 at max, even when there´s a USB3 connector.
Real USB3 usage is only provided when the interface is also a hub for other USB devices and has additional USB inputs for USB keyboards and controllers.
Before I activated USB3 legacy mode, I got issues w/ keyboard and mouse being connected to the USB-hub of my large screen, thze screen itself connected to computer via display port.

For Win10, I also used WinPrivacy and removed almost everything I don´t need and is safe to remove.
mausmuso wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:30 pm BTW, I was curious whether Win 10 in the new build would cause issues with Studio One.
I went back and booted from my old SSD (Win 10 Legacy Mode).
Studio One had clicks and pops, so my previous charmed life with Studio One appears gone with the old Mobo and whatever bios tweaks I once had.
Good to know someone confirms and I´m not alone !
Observe your native VST plugins !
Some introduce pops and clicks by just only being more or less bad VST3 implementation.
Other come w/ resizable GUI which doesn´t work perfect w/ Win10 or only w/ Win10 and not w/ Win7 anymore,- or work bad in Win10 and not at all in Win7.
Almost every combo possible.
Some use Juice for GUI, others whatelse.
You never know.
Full Bucket Music makes some great free VSTis,- and started publishing different versions because of graphhical Windows compatibility.
You´ll recognize "N" versions in the download sections, working w/ Win7, and the other only w/ Win10.
Nonetheles I´bve found one of these showing sluggish behaviour also in Win10 when zooming GUI.

Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II for sure makes graphic related audio problems while their String v3 plugin surprisingly doesn´t.

Latest update of Cherry Audio shown sluggish behaviour in Win7 Pro x64 when zooming GUI, not all of them and I forgot which.
But not causing audio issues fortunately.

All the above happens mainly w/ Studio One Pro v4.6.x here.
I cannot install on Win10 before upgrading to Studio One Pro v5.x ...
I won´t now ...

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

This is about the point GaryB would pipe up and say that there's no need to be connected and always updating everything, once something works. I mostly jest...but I'm sure that's crossed his mind already.

I make images of my important machines, and can roll back to known good states if needed for working purposes. That being said, having multiple machines tasked to given roles also gives me the benefit of reducing the complexity of my installs, and the payload of things like audio and video plugins (I have a ton of crap across all the compositors, adobe software and 3d software that I own or license).
garyb

Post by garyb »

win10 and 11 always need to be updated or they freak out.
valis

Post by valis »

I stand corrected :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

they are now "services", not "products".
valis

Post by valis »

On the plus side at least this seems to be slowing down planned obsolescence, though the privacy and personal trade-offs are Faustian at best.
pranza

Post by pranza »

i can confirm PCI Scope v 5.1 working on windows 11 laptop via pci to pci (magma cardbus) to cardbus to pci to pcie adapter chain ;)
however, as with any windows system past win 8.1 without KB2919355 applied, vdat's attempt to record results in a hang.
also, with such impressive chain of pci converters i can run zero reverbs :)

so for any folks wishing to have XTC mode AND samplers AND vdat functional, v5.1 and win 8.1 without KB2919355 is the most 'up to date' system available...
i don't have a v7 licence for PCI, but at least I can see that XTC is not available in the XITE version of the driver.
EddiePittman

Post by EddiePittman »

First of all, I want to know if you are happy with the win 11 update? I've been thinking about installing win 11 for a long time because win 10 has been outdated for a long time. But I'm afraid I'll lose data again after the update. Last time after installing win 10, I had to contact a data recovery programmer. Fortunately, the data in my software has been recovered, but iLook is still not working. If in your opinion, there is not much difference between these versions, then I will not rush to update my PC.
Last edited by EddiePittman on Wed May 18, 2022 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
valis

Post by valis »

Win10 isn't outdated, though the market would like you to think so. Especially the case for a DAW or other dedicated use machine.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

EddiePittman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:46 pm First of all, I want to know if you are happy with the win 11 update? I've been thinking about installing win 11 for a long time because win 10 has been outdated for a long time. But I'm afraid I'll lose data again after the update. Last time after installing win 10, I had to contact a data recovery programmer. Fortunately, the data in my software has been recovered, but iLook is still not working. If in your opinion, there is not much difference between these versions, then I will not rush to update my PC.
I have had some teething issues after upgrading my Mobo and installing win 11:
- Scope 7 and Scope SDK 7 work fine, no issues;
- Cubase Pro 12 and Wavelab Pro 11 kept giving me non-licensed errors. I fixed that by moving the dongle to a USB 2.0 port as suggested on the eLicenser help page;
- I have experienced win 11 update problems with updates failing and the latest update causing BSOD's. I found that I had to disable Stardock Multiplicity before updating - seems there is some issue with DirectX and networking related services that cause this - Microsoft is supposedly working on this;
- A number of of my apps needed to be relicensed after the win 10 to win 11 update; and
- iLok didn't work for me either. I found the issue is Bitdefender is not compatible with iLok, so this was not a win 11 problem. I have now gone away from iLok altogether - lost a few plugs in doing so but pretty much have adequate work arounds.
All in all I think it has been a necessary but frustrating experience as win 10 will eventually not be supported.
maus
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

mausmuso wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 pm - Cubase Pro 12 and Wavelab Pro 11 kept giving me non-licensed errors. I fixed that by moving the dongle to a USB 2.0 port as suggested on the eLicenser help page;
Thanks a lot for your report.
I thought that Cubase Pro 12 works without a dongle.
…Or maybe your errors were related to upgrading to 12 from a previous USB elicenser license?