! solved (remove / uninstall devices from NOAH)

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

! solved (remove / uninstall devices from NOAH)

Post by Bud Weiser »

Hello !

1.)
Maybe a NOAH user can explain/ confirm ´cause there´s nothing about that in the manuals.

2.)
How to format a CF card for NOAH ?

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
dante

Re: remove / uninstall devices from NOAH (EX),- how to ?

Post by dante »

Have you wrote to Holger asking if any contact details for Noah programmers / engineers ? eg was it Frank Hund or any other that may be able to help ? https://www.linkedin.com/in/frankhund/? ... bdomain=de
Bud Weiser

Re: remove / uninstall devices from NOAH (EX),- how to ?

Post by Bud Weiser »

No, I didn´t ask Holger and don´t know F.Hund at all.

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Weiser

Re: ! solved (remove / uninstall devices from NOAH)

Post by Bud Weiser »

I´ve found out how it works via "Synchronizer" or simple delete/ copy/ paste from related folders in Noah application.
The registry file keeps unaffected, so everything can be removed and put back later.

The Profit-5 installation files from Noah archive on S|C ftp-server are old.
It seems the device is not complete when being installed on Noah.
The "Profit-5 additionals" folder doesn´t solve anything.
It seems, it´s exactly the same files which already get installed when using the .oxe file.

Profit-5 plays but cannot be edited from Noah frontpanel like the other devices can.
For editing patches, you need the Noah application´s Profit-5 GUI urgently.
There´s also no Profit-5 int. FX edit page like the SCOPE versions offer.

I tried all kind of re-installs, all w/ the same result,- so it´s set in stone.

There´s also a big bug still ...
With Noah in "single" mode, when the previously loaded device was stereo-out,- and you load the mono-out Profit-5,- dry presets not using aux FX appear on the right output of Noah only.
They are panned hard-right in Profit-5´s mixer channel instead being panned "center" by default.
But this can be fixed by creating all new user presets.

I wonder if it would be possible to install a Profit-5 device from p.ex. SCOPE v4 or v5,- just to get the Profit-5 int. FX editor page in it´s Remote Editor GUI.
I don´t recognize changes of it´s original .dev version, except there came a v7 version in adddition to the (old) v4 one.
I only recognize preset files in Noah have different suffix,-.npl (noah preset list).

I formatted a 1GB CF card to FAT (standard) on a older Windows machine and it should work w/ Noah when storing presets.
The CF card is now recognized as formatted and working on every Windows machine I own,- WinXP-Win10.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

So all works good ? If so ...... YAAAAAAAAY :) :) :) :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:54 am So all works good ? If so ...... YAAAAAAAAY :) :) :) :)
Well, Noah itself worked nice since I bought and reflashed.
Now looking back, I´d have been done already and saved time, when I reflashed by using the smaller .dmp file (lacks EDS8i, Prodyssey & Profit-5) and installed Prodyssey and Profit-5 later.
EDS8i not useful for me anyway.

It´s just only too sad, Profit-5 now is the only one not allowing same Noah frontpanel editing like all the other installed devices do.
In a 90s style keyboard rig,- where you don´t have a computer installed/connected,- it´s a disadvantage.
Unfortunately, Pro One and Profit-5 aren´t the same ...
Profit-5 has the "Polymod" section,- and since I sold my original Prophet 5s,- Profit-5 in Scope was a great replacement for me always.
The filter´s slope is really good,- to me it sounds like hardware and the additional int. FX helped too.

I´d really wish I had this fully fledged Profit-5 running standalone on Noah EX also.

But,- "you can´t always get what you want" ...

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Is ProTOne just an alias as Pro One ? On mine the page 1 of ProTone and Profit 5 are almost identical but then Profit 5 has 'Add' and 'Effects' tab whereas proTone only has 'Add' - but overall they both have between 90 - 100 parameters. Profit 5 looks nicer due many red LED and wood panels. But since proTone can be polyphonic, theres probably less difference between the 2 in Scope land that in real land.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the ProOne and Prophet5 were different in design a bit. it wasn't just polyphony. one could be swapped for the other, but they are a little different.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

The original Sequential Circuits Pro One came after the release of the Prophet-5 and was "basically" 1 voice of the Prophet-5, but not identical at all.
I had the same chips for OSC, VCF and VCA and same envelope generators, but the architecture changed,-last but not least w/ StepSeqencer and other modulation routings.
You see these, from Prophet-5 different, modulation switches on the right side also in the GUI of the Zarg/WineCountry ProOne & S|C ProTone.

@Gary, I didn´t say/mean polyphony,- I said "PolyMod",- that section the ProOne/ProTone doesn´t offer, the Prophet-5 did,- and Pro12 and Profit-5 do too still.

It´s good to have the Prophet-5 emulation in Scope nad would be really nice having it in Noah fully functional too.
I´d be humble and use Noah´s insert and global FX,- but really want the Profit-5´s synth parameters being editable from Noah frontpanel like it is possible w/ all the other devices installed,- Prodyssey, ProOne, VectronP, Lightwave, Minimax etc..

As long as I cannot get a final and trustworthy answer from a former or actual Noah user who had/has Profit-5 installed on Noah (EX),- it´s hard to believe only Profit-5 cannot provide it´s synth parameters for Noah frontpanel editing.

I now more or less think, the archived Noah files might not be the very latest,- at least because when installing Profit-5 using .oxe file and w/ key,- followed by draging the unzipped "Profit-5 additionals" into the Noah\IF\devices folder, doesn´t update or "add" anything.
Instead, using the installation done by .oxe or a manual installation only by using the "additionals" (which contain a Profit-5 .dev) alone,- make no difference at all.
Same "bugs" (if they are bugs) and same single factory preset folder,- but NO Profit-5 synth parameters available when pressing EDIT and 1st push/rotary knob to the left on Noah´s frontpanel.
That button press should usually open the synth parameter´s menue, but here, cursor jumps back to the actually selected preset name to the right in Noah display´s upper line.

I´m highly interested to get a copy of someone´s already on Noah installed "Profit-5" .dev file and the other related files in Noah\IF\devices folder for a try.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 pm the ProOne and Prophet5 were different in design a bit. it wasn't just polyphony. one could be swapped for the other, but they are a little different.
Even you can replicate the PolyMod section of Prophet-5 on the ProOne,- there´s the, at least to me, big difference of NO noise-mix in the Modulation-Source settings.

On ProOne, you can add "noise" in the mixer, but it´s not available as a (w/ LFO mixable) modulation source.

The other disadvantage when using ProOne as a Profit-5 replacement is,- I´ll have to recreate my Prophet-5 patches manually on ProOne.

Gary,- you used a Noah (EX) in the past ...
Did you run Profit-5 on Noah and do you have your old files stored ona old HDD somewhere,- perhaps ?

The Noah Remote Editor alone, being installed on an old WinXP machine, provides all files in 2 different "IF" folders,-
Noah\IF and Noah\OS\...IF Followed by "devices" and dedicated "Profit-5" folder.
There are 9 files inside each of the "IF" folders,- .dev, .ndl, .nml, .nmp, .npl and .S20, .S21, .S22, .S23.

I wonder if these are different, outdated or corrupted on my end.
Since there´s no explanation at all how and in which sequential order to install optional devices and delivered additional files, I have to be sure I did everything right.
I guess I did, but I´m not 100% sure.

The Editor itself doesn´t have to work or run to grab the files from old HDD,- if it´s still existing.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, i did use the Prophet5. no, i do not have anything archived. it has been years and years since i had the Noah.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:42 am yes, i did use the Prophet5. no, i do not have anything archived. it has been years and years since i had the Noah.
O.k.,- thank you !

Just 2 questions:

1.)
Can you remember if it installed with or without internal FX (same as the SCOPE versions)?

2.)
Was there access to Profit5_Noah synth-parameters via the Noah hardware EDIT-menue pages and the 4 push-rotary encoders?
Not only output routing, MIDI parameters etc..

In the Noah Profit5 Additionals folder there´s dedicated "profit5_noah" PDF manual included.
I´ll attach here:
profit5_noah_en.zip
(547.75 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
On page 1, the GUI doesn´t show internal FX sub-page,-
on page 3, the FX sub-page and it´s parameters are explained in detail.

But, the manual might be misleading too because it mistakes Pro One and Profit-5 2x in the text.
OTOH, Pro One never had that FX sub-page at all,-just only MAIN and ADD.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

1. don't remember
2. don't remember...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:37 pm 1. don't remember
2. don't remember...
:lol:

O.k., thx a lot !
Sorry for rebelliousness,- but I had to try ... :D

best

Bud