SC at Superbooth 21 in Berlin, 15. - 18.09.2021

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marvin

SC at Superbooth 21 in Berlin, 15. - 18.09.2021

Post by Marvin »

See SC website and Facebook, great to see some movement, hopefully a very successful booth for Holger and XIte-1 :)
dante

Re: SC at Superbooth 21 in Berlin, 15. - 18.09.2021

Post by dante »

Looks like they're sharing Ferrofish booth.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Reminds me of hoping for a Ferrofish device from Jürgen equipped with Z-Link :wink:
dante

Post by dante »

...or an XTDM to Dante converter :o.

Anyway I've given em both a good plug for the show http://www.hitfoundry.com/ ....love the Pulse 16 video.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Coolness !

So, they´ll have something new in the pipeline and there´s now increased hope for SCOPE v7.01,- at least on my end.

5 days left,- can´t wait !

8)

Bud
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

That is indeed SOON :D
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Last edited by Spielraum on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

XTDM converter ideas,-
was it ever documented at all which type of signals XITE can provide via XTDM ?

AFAIK, when fully functional (firmware included), the XTDM connection should be able to transmit audio and MIDI as also all the communication needed to cascade XITE machines (clocks, Async etc.).
So, it might be much more useful for audio/MIDI interface expansions than CV/Gate,- no ?

:)

Bud
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

With Holger and Jurgen sharing a booth hopefully "the Band is getting back together". Even if it's only for one small project that's SCOPE related it would be nice to see them back together. I do believe they are stronger together.

Anyways, it's great to see SC participate in a Music Gear Exhibition. This is a good sign that maybe a new release of something is imminent. Thanks for posting this thread Marvin!
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:10 am XTDM converter ideas,-
was it ever documented at all which type of signals XITE can provide via XTDM ?

AFAIK, when fully functional (firmware included), the XTDM connection should be able to transmit audio and MIDI as also all the communication needed to cascade XITE machines (clocks, Async etc.).
So, it might be much more useful for audio/MIDI interface expansions than CV/Gate,- no ?

Bud
I think marketing Scope to modular users with the help of CV gate would be a smart move.
For people looking for synths, mixer and fx that are easy to use, Scope will have difficulty grabbing their interest in today's market I think. You can buy 10 good hardware synths for the price of an Xite.

And I think the rise of modular has meant that if you are the kind of person who really like the kind of features and complexity Scope offers, it is likely you have a modular. If you like the simplicity of a regular synth compared to a modular, Scope is not likely to agree with you.

Of course I know many users here doesn't fall in to those categories, but for users that didn't already fall in love with Scope back in the days I think it is hard to sell it to new users as a MIDI instrument or mixer.

IMO Scope have a lot to offer as a part of a modular synthesis setup. But very few in the modular world are aware of its potential, and offering CV/gate out can help bring attention to that.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Spindrift wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:50 am
I think marketing Scope to modular users with the help of CV gate would be a smart move.
For people looking for synths, mixer and fx that are easy to use, Scope will have difficulty grabbing their interest in today's market I think. You can buy 10 good hardware synths for the price of an Xite.

And I think the rise of modular has meant that if you are the kind of person who really like the kind of features and complexity Scope offers, it is likely you have a modular. If you like the simplicity of a regular synth compared to a modular, Scope is not likely to agree with you.

Of course I know many users here doesn't fall in to those categories, but for users that didn't already fall in love with Scope back in the days I think it is hard to sell it to new users as a MIDI instrument or mixer.

IMO Scope have a lot to offer as a part of a modular synthesis setup. But very few in the modular world are aware of its potential, and offering CV/gate out can help bring attention to that.
That was not the point of my post above.
The point is, it´s unclear if it´s possible to design such CV/Gate interface on basis of the existing XITE (and/or PCI) hardware at all.
XITE´s XTDM port is just only a dead connector for the time being.

When John Bowen and S|C announced the Solaris rackmout synth,- which at the end of the day was just only a voice expansion unit,- I discussed if it would be possible to connect a Solaris "blackbox" rackmount unit to XTDM and have a Solaris editor for SCOPE.
That´s why I know, MIDI and audio is possible over XTDM,- WHEN the connection and firmware would be upgraded to work that way.

But that doesn´t mean it would work w/ CV and Gate signals, ext. (analog) hardware wants to see, too.

And yes, because of my age, I don´t use ancient analog modular synths as also don´t own Eurorack gear.
I prefer to own and use fully programmable synths w/ preset memory.
So consequently, I prefer SCOPE Modular over ext. hardware modular.
I cannot imagine patching real cables and make photos from patches in 2021, you know.

My only ancient analog synths I still use up today are Minimoog D and Oberheim Xpander and I´m pretty sure, there comes the day I´ll sell ´em too.

And today, when you ask me what I´d buy new,- 10 hardware synths or XITE-1 and SCOPE,- it would be the latter because I don´t collect synths and now prefer compact gear over ton´s of hardware.

That said,- I still have more than enough hardware modules in large racks which are switched off most of the times.
Today, the job can be done w/ S|C DSP hardware, SCOPE, some carefully selected VST (bundles) and a good DAW application.
I´d be really satisfied when there were a SCOPE 7.x update w/ bugfixes, especially 64Bit and XITE related.

You might introduce more idealism, so ymmv.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:26 am With Holger and Jurgen sharing a booth hopefully "the Band is getting back together".... I do believe they are stronger together.
... it's great to see SC participate in a Music Gear Exhibition.
^^^^^^^^^^
Yes,- THIS !

Bud
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:22 am The point is, it´s unclear if it´s possible to design such CV/Gate interface on basis of the existing XITE (and/or PCI) hardware at all.
XITE´s XTDM port is just only a dead connector for the time being.

When John Bowen and S|C announced the Solaris rackmout synth,- which at the end of the day was just only a voice expansion unit,- I discussed if it would be possible to connect a Solaris "blackbox" rackmount unit to XTDM and have a Solaris editor for SCOPE.
That´s why I know, MIDI and audio is possible over XTDM,- WHEN the connection and firmware would be upgraded to work that way.

But that doesn´t mean it would work w/ CV and Gate signals, ext. (analog) hardware wants to see, too.
But if it can transmit audio it can transmit CV. It is just that you need to make sure the converters attached to the port is DC coupled and ideally can output full 10v.

I totally understand using Scope for synths, that is why I got my first card in the 90s as well...the modular was a bonus and not what I used most initially.

However I would probably have overlooked it today if what I wanted was more synths. As a modular powerhouse used in conjunction with my Eurorack it is has as lot more obvious value today, for me at least.

And it is a market used to products made in small quantities by very small companies, and the higher cost that comes with that. A single module can often cost more than a full synth from a big manufacturer.
garyb

Post by garyb »

just get a DC coupled AD/DA...
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

garyb wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:59 am just get a DC coupled AD/DA...
I have that, but I was speculating in relation to the possibility of equipment using XTDM, and the marketing opportunities that could bring.

If they would make any kind of audio interface, making it DC coupled and capable of modular levels (and ideally rack mounted with minijacks) would make it easier to get modular uses to pay attention to Xite.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Spindrift wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:01 am
... using XTDM, ...

If they would make any kind of audio interface, making it DC coupled and capable of modular levels (and ideally rack mounted with minijacks)
What were you willing to pay for such (and because of XTDM usage specialized) device ?
How many estimated buyers of such device and XITE-1 in addition to their Eurorack rigs ? What do you think ?
What´s the breakeven point when designing/ constructing, manufacturing the device and do the marketing for ?
Cost accounting ... how many devices have to be manufactured in 1st batch ?
Do you expect enough pre-orders ?

Many questions for hardware manufacturers and a single wrong answer might kill a small company in a minute.

Why do you think Ferrofish is advertising Pulse 16 CV 16 x16 AD/DA w/ DC coupled outputs and S|C is on the same booth ???
https://www.superbooth.com/en/messe-and ... ofish.html

The interface is ADAT (standard) and MADI or Dante on demand.

So,- when S|C would present any imaginary interface for the XITE XTDM port the same day Ferrofish presents the Pulse 16 CV,- what do you guess it is ?

For me personally, there are 3 options:

1)
No hardware interface at all and just only demonstrating a XITE-1 / Pulse 16CV setup via ADAT,- possibly together w/ a Scope v7.1 update and w/ luck,- presenting a new Scope DSP module interacting w/ the Pulse 16 CV.

or ...

2.)
MADI interface

or ...

3.)
Dante interface

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

My guess is it will just be demonstrating a XITE-1 and FerroFish gear via ADAT or just separately. Appealing to the CV / modular market makes sense but it doesn't lead to any advancement of Scope necessarily. Interface synergy between the 2 companies would be great but if its possible why didn't it happen before now ?

Having said that, looking at the XITE-1 Mobo - the chip behind the XTDM is a custom S|C one (w/- Scope XITE written on it) so why would they go to all the effort of designing a custom chip for a dead port ? Likely it connects I/O candidates such as audio and midi to the outside world and the chip could be somewhat 'programmable' and Scope project given access to it with an appropriate drag and drop objects (in and out) like all others in the Hardware I/O drop down. That could form the basis of a Scope 7.1 - plus a few bug fixes - or even a Scope 8 since its been so long since Scope 7.
xite-1-mobo
xite-1-mobo
xite-1-mobo-3.jpg (261.06 KiB) Viewed 17340 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

4 days left,. than we´ll know.

B.t.w., because the chip sits behind the XTDM port doesn´t mean it´s related to that port at all.
Do you have more/ better info about that chip´s functionality / purpose ?

Bud
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:18 am What were you willing to pay for such (and because of XTDM usage specialized) device ?
How many estimated buyers of such device and XITE-1 in addition to their Eurorack rigs ? What do you think ?
What´s the breakeven point when designing/ constructing, manufacturing the device and do the marketing for ?
Cost accounting ... how many devices have to be manufactured in 1st batch ?
Do you expect enough pre-orders ?
Not arguing that an XTDM interface of any kind is a good idea. But if they did do it, targeting modular market might make more sense than pro audio market with yet another audio interface but using a custom connector.

Personally I already have an interface that works perfectly for my purposes, so not in the market for neither and XTDM CV interface or a Pulsar 16, and already have an Xite. A change in marketing focus of SC won't make me buy on more :)

For modular users it would make more sense to try to market Xite together with something like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/boredbrain-music-optx
Basically just a neater alternative to Expert Sleepers ES-3 + ES-6. Gives you two extra in in less space and drawing less power.

Anyway, great to see activity from SC whatever they have planned!
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:59 pm 4 days left,. than we´ll know.

B.t.w., because the chip sits behind the XTDM port doesn´t mean it´s related to that port at all.
Doesn’t mean it’s not either. The two chips symmetrically behind the two BNC connectors might be just coincidence as well I suppose.

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:59 pm Do you have more/ better info about that chip´s functionality / purpose ?

Bud
Nope. If I did everyone would have the same info isn’t it ?

Just speculation here.