buying new software for scope

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Joey

buying new software for scope

Post by Joey »

Ì was curious what other people think of this.
I have recently invested in modular 4 and the flexor package.
That made me look at other stuff I would be interested in, but the prices are quite high, and so I am reluctant to make extra steps.
I could easily spend 1000 euros on the synths I am looking at, but is it a worthwile investment?
How long will my system last?
There are never any discounts, but I feel that, with a nice offer, maybe sales would go up.
ARCADIOS

Re: buying new software for scope

Post by ARCADIOS »

hi

which scope synths do you have?
dante

Post by dante »

Joey wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:56 pm How long will my system last?
What is your system ? Specs ? Age? PCI or Xite ?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Joey wrote:Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:56 pm
How long will my system last?
Which ? XITE or PCI ?
Joey wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:56 pm There are never any discounts, but I feel that, with a nice offer, maybe sales would go up.
There were several bundle-sales in the past,- mostly when SCOPE updates v5.1 and v7.0 were released.
All the Zarg devices came bundled in 2 different special deals in the past and some S|C optional devices like ModularIV, Prodyssey and ProTone came bundled w/ SCOPE v7 (and SDK on demand) at low prices...
Also DNA devices came bundled in different packages and together w/ SCOPE for free.

You get all the Orbitone devices for free until today.

IIRC, the only optional S|C device never ever bundled is SixString.

I can tell, almost all the Zarg devices run better on PCI than on XITE.
And for Modular IV and FleXor III, I also prefer 32Bit SCOPE v7 PCI over 64Bit SCOPE/ XITE v7.

STS samplers are usable on 32Bit SCOPE (PCI or XITE) only.
That´s why I use both systems, SCOPE 32Bit PCI and 64Bit XITE-1 for the time being.
But,- I can imagine this is only a temporary solution and until S|C SCOPE will see it´s next (big) update/upgrade.

SCOPE PCI cards last long and when they fail, you often have to replace caps only.
Much better quality and reliability than any other "Made in China" gear today.
Same rules for XITE.

When using XITE only, I´d buy latest devices from new developers like DNA, OSS and new SpaceF stuff.
All Sonic Core works too and most is XITE optimized already.
Modular IV is a exception on (some ?) 64Bit systems because of a very few modules using sample OSC related files and delay modules (tape delay x64 p.ex.).

And don´t ignore free devices being offered in PlanetZ device section,-
lots of good stuff from the community too !

:)

Bud
Joey

Post by Joey »

I have a PCI system, with a Pulsar 1 card which holds all the registrations, a Scope card and a Luna
Currently running a 64bit Windows system. Scope 7 of course.
I bought most of the SpaceF stuff. All the free stuff is on my system as well, of course (I think I bought the Pulsar card about 25 years ago).
But the scope card is more recent, and now I have more possibilities than ever.
And those Zarg synths, Sonic Core ProTone and Prodyssey, and Ocean Swift synths look quite, well, eh, sexy...

BTW if I'm right the ProTone, Pro-One and Pro-twelve are basically all incarnations of the same synth, right?
garyb

Post by garyb »

Protone and Pro One are both models of the Sequential Circuits Pro One. Protone is a later model Pro One and the Zarg Pro One is an earlier model. both are similar, but the Zarg has some different features. they sound slightly different. both are good. the SC Protone is probably going to provide more voices, but that may not be a factor.

Pro12 is the same as the Profit5, which is a model of the Sequential Prophet 5 synth.

John Bowen, who programmed the original Sequential synths was involved in all 3 synths' development. Zarg is John's company.

your system should last for quite a while longer, possibly indefinitely, it is hard to say with electronics.
valis

Post by valis »

The statements that most users simply do a recap to resurrect cards is true. It's perhaps a good idea to be prepared for that eventuality, even if it's 5 years from now, if you want assurances and continue to invest in Scope. That by no means you'll face that issue, it just means that you'll be prepared to take care of the tools you rely on, and that's always sound advice.

It's also worth noting that capacitors seem to degrade both from excessive heat as well as lack of use, which is where the 'magic smoke' is often released upon powering up gear that has been left idle for some time.

Moral of the story? Put the cards to use, and care for them as you would any other component in your computer by ensuring adequate airflow and proper cooling.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Joey wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:56 pm There are never any discounts, but I feel that, with a nice offer, maybe sales would go up.
Mee too :)
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

How long will your system last?
Atleast another 25years!! 👀

I think it’s a worthwhile investment.

SC have had a run of discounts in the past.
valis

Post by valis »

S|C has had discounts indeed, in fact there was even a freebie included from one of the devs and a special bonus for PlanetZ in the initial V7 upgrade offer.