home recording mistakes

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

home recording mistakes

Post by garyb »

Bud Weiser

Re: home recording mistakes

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib4aET7ECek
Cool !

But it seems, SOME see it different ...
The speaker(s) ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

mini-F944113E-6480-4B21-A1DB-64C9D9D24237-scaled.jpeg
mini-F944113E-6480-4B21-A1DB-64C9D9D24237-scaled.jpeg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Bud
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Nice video, but the guy needs to calm down a bit.

I have to confess, that I often use my headphones to keep my wife happy.
Is there a way to use headphones with correction/compensation of its differences compared to ideal setup monitors ?
( Simulation of the "triangle", eq correction to get ampltude linear over freq ?)
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, headphones suck, but you have to do what you have to do. practical considerations are important, but it helps to have reasonable expectations if you need to compromise. not everyone needs to be "professional".

he does not need to calm down.... :D :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

Headphones are fine for me. Whilst I don't always get a mix right first time on headphones I can say that when I play it back in the car and identify a fault there, go back and fix it with headphones then 9 times out of 10 after that it will sound good in car. On the rare occasion where I need to make a correction after 2nd car listen, then it will sound good on any system I play back on.

After hundreds of times using headphone then car, the number of times it sounds good in car first go increases. Because you get to know the deficiencies of headphone mix and what needs to be adjusted to sound good in car. Another good technique is to have breaks and listen at low, mid and high volumes. And what of mono ? If you listen thru headphones but A/B with mono, that can help reduce the exaggeration of the stereo image that occurs in headphones.

On rare occasions when I can use my Tannoy monitors, Ill still have to make an adjustment or 2 from the car test. IMHO using monitors instead of headphones doesn't negate the value of testing on other systems.
st1

Post by st1 »

> he does not need to calm down.... :D

Well, much as he is right with headphones, bass traps and mic placment, i hope he is not like that with clients.
If he is, he *does* need to calm down a bit.

If the guitarist of the client band does not know how to play the guitar, you can't say "5 strikes/takes and you're out".
You try and record as much as you can within reasonable limits (timewise), and then have a word with the producer (that's what she/he's there for, and if they dont' have one, try talking to the one who's paying).

As a recording engineer, you're essentially the sound-bitch, trying to make it all work, even if you have to draw water from stone.
If want to promote your opinions on the source material and the performance in an artistic way, you need to be reckognized as a co-producer...
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, he has choice of quality clients and makes a bunch of money for all those custom electronics.
you don't need to work for people with no skills or talents. amazingly enough, you can charge more when you only work with more skilled and talented individuals. obviously, that doesn't work for everyone. i think he's just providing a clue to those that want to do it themselves, but have zero knowledge or experience. his excitement is just over the craft he loves, nothing else. ymmv.

of course, you don't need to have an opinion about your client's project, it belongs to the client. a client would certainly be well served to pay, at least, basic ear-service to a skilled technician's advice. again, i agree, the client is paying, so the client's wishes are most important. if the client's wishes are what the engineer deems to be too stupid to participate or cooperate with, then the engineer doesn't need to accept the money.

i think it's fair to limit takes. the client should be ready to perform. if he can't do it, it's a waste of time and money. my experience is that generally, more takes does not make a better product, especially with low budgets. i'd rather see successfully completed artwork, as opposed to just charging for more and more time. again with a low budget, it's better to have some mixing and mastering money left, rather than spending everything on one guitar riff. big budgets don't care, and that's fine. it's all fine, either way. again, ymmv.

if one wishes to have a great-sounding studio for himself or others, then i think this guy's ramblings are worth being considered or at least lightly contemplated.
dante

Post by dante »

Funny thing was when I looked at that vid there was an ear cleaning product advert. I thought oh yeah it’s a big mistake to do studio without cleaning your ears 🤣🤣
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

Ha - good one.

I think I agreed with everything, but I wondered a bit about the first example of ‘Not soundproofing’. So I agree that putting foam wedges on the walls do not sound proof. But, have you then added some ‘acoustic treatment’ ?
I would rather have called it acoustic mistreatment.
IMHO, the massive popularity of those products is one of the great mysteries, as most of them degrade acoustics - in most cases - rather than improving it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, bass traps and diffusion are more important than absorption, in most cases.