Reason 12 is almost here!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Sounddesigner

Reason 12 is almost here!

Post by Sounddesigner »

I guess technically it is here for Subscription Users, but for the rest of us the delivery truck is on its way.

This is a very huge upgrade for me since it is very hard to use Reason 11 due to my very poor Vision. The High-Rez Graphics justifies the upgrade price alone. The new Sampler is very nice and im sure many people will love the new Combinator but its the GUI visual improvements that have me reaching for my wallet.

I hope things like VST3 support comes since one of my main plugins is only in that formatt. I do suspect there will be a few more features and surprises that were not yet advertised in the upcomming release. I currently own the Suite Version of Reason 11 and thus am hoping there will be new instruments and other devices in the Suite Version of R12. In the past i hated when other DAWs focused on instruments and effects and thought this was just a distraction but not so with Reason Studios since to me they are the best in Native world with instruments right now. Their Friktion has no equal when it comes to Physical Modeled plugins, it has a very wide range of instruments you can create with it including imaginary ones. Friktions flexibility and versatility and great sound is too much for other PM plugins to overcome. The Acoustic instruments it models sound very expressive and alive. Algoritm FM synth, Complex-1 are both sonically top-tier synths IMO and Grain sample Manipulator and Europa really round out the collection and are very good. I can't wait to see what's in the Suite Version of Reason 12. Hopefully they'll improve Reason as a VST plugin also since it has a couple bad flaws to it.

Reason Studios has a Masterpiece and true treasure with Reason. I'm glad they decided to focus soley on Reason and not develop any other products anymore. They even re-named their company to Reason Studios to remind them of that focus. They have a very unique and powerfull platform with Reason so the right focus is needed for it. They've definitely re-sold me on the concept.
dante

Re: Reason 12 is almost here!

Post by dante »

Yeah really looking forwards to the hi-res stuff. UA are lagging badly on that front (especially for Windoze). Lucky I'm still on 4K.

Friktion is great and with UA Marshall amp and Roland echo sims I finally got Jean Luc Ponty's style covered across his enormous range.

September looks to be a promising month with R12 and S4 of The Good Girls coming out :lol:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolness.
I want something to record with.
Just can’t get my head around DAWs, maybe this one might not discourage me.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:04 pm Coolness.
I´m a Reason 11 user ...
You CAN record and mix w/ Reason, but compared to other DAWs there are a lot of limitations.

And actually, there´s no VST3 support for plugins, MIDI Prg.-Change commands don´t work, etc., etc. ...

It´s good to have their "VST3 ReasonRack" running Reason devices in other DAWs,- but it´s also not on par w/ former ReWire.
Don´t expect to get a "multi" rack like in NI Kontakt, with 16 MIDI channels triggering and controlling 16 instruments independent.
Maybe the new Combinator 2 can,- but until I can try myself, I doubt.
The original Combinator is unable doin´ MIDI multi mode.

Have you ever tried "Traktion 7" free or the actual "Waveform" free ?
https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

Haven´t installed "Waveform free" on my Win10 laptop up to now, but on my Win7 Pro SP1 x64 DAW, Tracktion 7 handles all my plugins very well, VST2 and VST3.

But have also in mind, Reaper has the best 32Bit bridge build in, the others don´t.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

I have Reason Lite 11, generally a good idea to register the freebies we get for upgrade pricing later. My original thinking was just for session compatibility when working with others, have a few similar licenses I could upgrade if the need presented itself. Tell me more about the newer devices that might be worth a look...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:18 am
I´m a Reason 11 user ...
You CAN record and mix w/ Reason, but compared to other DAWs there are a lot of limitations.

And actually, there´s no VST3 support for plugins, MIDI Prg.-Change commands don´t work, etc., etc. ...

It´s good to have their "VST3 ReasonRack" running Reason devices in other DAWs,- but it´s also not on par w/ former ReWire.
Don´t expect to get a "multi" rack like in NI Kontakt, with 16 MIDI channels triggering and controlling 16 instruments independent.
Maybe the new Combinator 2 can,- but until I can try myself, I doubt.
The original Combinator is unable doin´ MIDI multi mode.

Have you ever tried "Traktion 7" free or the actual "Waveform" free ?
https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

Haven´t installed "Waveform free" on my Win10 laptop up to now, but on my Win7 Pro SP1 x64 DAW, Tracktion 7 handles all my plugins very well, VST2 and VST3.

But have also in mind, Reaper has the best 32Bit bridge build in, the others don´t.

Bud
Well I have Reaper so I guess I could just try using it again.
Been so long though and I only like recording one takes vrs. Editing and all that crap.
valis

Post by valis »

Reaper appeals to a certain type of engineering/technical mentality, imho. Since you took to Bidule and Scope, I have no doubt you can learn the application. Liking its workflow however...even I found the depth and tremendous flexibility got in the way more often than it helped.

Bitwig still has my interest, but I do also like Reason's modular cabling system and the ability to do triggering and gating with it in ways that require a lot of sidechaining and custom plugins built for the task in a normal DAW. The Rack Extension market is absolutely out of control for Reason. The downside there is that I have many VST plugins that have rack extensions, so I would end up rebuying things I already own to have them fit into that workflow. Lots of freebies though too...
dante

Post by dante »

valis wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:17 pm The Rack Extension market is absolutely out of control for Reason. The downside there is that I have many VST plugins that have rack extensions, so I would end up rebuying things I already own to have them fit into that workflow. Lots of freebies though too...
You mean because your VST are mostly VST3 ? And Reason only support VST2 ?

There's a workaround I'm looking at in order to be able to run IronAxe :

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/
valis

Post by valis »

No, I mean because using them as racks allows for the rear panel access (cabling to other things) which seems to be a strength in favor of Reason native stuff. And I was comparing to bitwig (which can cross modulate just about anything).
dante

Post by dante »

Try MixBus 32C demo, now that we know how to get it working easily with Scope. Maus, PeteHalo and myself all have it working.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:58 pm ... I only like recording one takes vrs. Editing and all that crap.
Try to find one of the ancient Alesis or Mackie 2HU rackmount HD 24-track recorders,- maybe 2 to have a spare.
With the Alesis, you´d have a 24 channel AD/DA built in and the Mackies were available w/ different I/O card configurations.

We built a truck w/ 3 Mackies ...

mini-truck-07.JPG
mini-truck-07.JPG (99.75 KiB) Viewed 2371 times

Or a modern variant ...

https://www.frontendaudio.com/cymatic-a ... -recorder/

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolness, thanks Dante and brother of michelobe/budweiser
dante

Post by dante »

I'd buyed the uTrack24 based just on the 1U finish ! 8)
uTrack24
uTrack24
uTrack24_m.png (225.23 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
But then again.... menu diving might drown ya !!!!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:41 pm I'd buyed the uTrack24 based just on the 1U finish ! 8)
But then again.... menu diving might drown ya !!!!
The ADAT extension makes sense when there´s a RME RayDat PCIe equipped computer in the ballpark.
And/or connect add. micpres like RME Octamic II, Audient ASP 880 or Midas XL 48, the latter offering multi-channel AES/EBU in addition to ADAT.

I wonder why Cymatic doesn´t offer a remote editor app,- like Mackie did for their HD recorder in the past, makin´ it easy to set up the machine for a given project and by using the remote controller and screen in that case.

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

There's a Mackie HDX or two on craigslist near me, alongside an Alesis ADAT box (with a box of unused tapes). I was half tempted to get them for extra i/o's but don't have the need for them at present so it's a waste of money really. One of the HDX's is for sale by a widower for $300....and the ADAT was $250. So tempting :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Well, IIRC, the main issue w/ these old/ used HDD recorders today is,- they use IDE HDDs.
The older Mackies in my pic above run on Intel Celeron proc w/ a 20GB IDE-HDD built in. :lol:
With the right project setup, the recordings went to a IDE-HDD in the caddy.
When tere were 3 ADAT cards in the recorder, simultaneous backup recording on a PC was possible too.

Buying a used ADAT tape recorder today makes no sense iMO.

The Cymatic 1HU recorder seems to be a good thing though, especially when doing multitrack live recordings w/ a computer and a simpler recording application like Tracktion or such.
I´d use the hardware recorder w/ 3 ADAT I/Os as a backup running simultaneously and getting input signals from RME RayDat ADAT Outs via Totalmix.
Now I wonder if the recording app would be necessary at all since TotalMix or Digicheck (?) can do 24-track multichannel recordings too,- isn´t it ?

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

There's a lot of options for IDE HD adapters now, might be able to find something that works but I have little need personally for recording to tape or HD when I have enough machines that can already do that. However in both cases I was thinking of using them specifically for adat i/o, but I don't really need that.

It was more a tempting price, close proximity and something nice in the rack (which again I don't need as I currently have 4 RME cards on hand, having recently serviced 2 and bought second hand replacements while they were in servicing).

The cymatic unit looks nice, but I'll let Jimmy determine if that fits his workflow needs.
dante

Post by dante »

Reason 12 is out. Spent the time downloading / updating rack extensions / authorizing ignition key etc. Took a while but all very seamless. The Hi Res is a global option, works well but Im leaving mine at 100% (can go higher or lower) until the day I get bigger screens.

The Mimic sampler looks cool = and deep - and has some interesting presets - but I probably wont have time to fully explore it for a while.

Here's release notes :

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

No MIDI multimode and no VST 2.4- and VST3-plugin support for the VST3 ReasonRack plugin are the dealbreakers for me.
This update isn´t worth EUR 129,- IMO.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

If the Mimic sampler were sold as a Rack Extension in the Propellerhead Shop it would sell easily for close to the upgrade price ($129 for me) alone. If you look at comparably priced rack extensions per ex:

. Expanse Hyperwave $149
. Synapse Antidote $139
. Reason Studio's own Parsec $119

Throw in High Res, more powerful combinator (other smaller point release fixes etc) ... its hard for me to get my head around how its not worth it.

Actually, cant wait to check out the new combi as well.