re-flash NOAH EX

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

re-flash NOAH EX

Post by Bud Weiser »

Hi !

I got access to an ISO of NOAH EX original installation CD because my friend (and tech) owns a NOAH EX too.
The version is v1.1 already !!!

I have a big issue it seems,-

The firmware/OS on my NOAH is something v1.0.x and there´s no way to change the USBcom(unication) setting in NOAH-menue "System" > "Device" to the for USB driver installation required "Windows" setting !
On my NOAH, there are only 2 settings possible,- "Default" and "nonDefault" and nowhere in the manual or elsewhere are these 2 settings documented or explained.

In fact, it is impossible to establish any USB connection for communication and synchronization w/ the Remote Editor software as also it is impossible to install the drivers.

As a secondary problem,- trying to install the driver and editor on my older but well running Win XP SP3 32Bit DAW,- wiped almost any programs from Windows program folder when I uninstalled because of lack of success,- a shock and kind of a nitemare for me.

Nonetheless ...

I guess I´ll have to re-flash NOAH EX from ground up and the files and Flashtool are there,- but Flashtool also requires the working and stable USB connection between NOAH EX and a computer.

Any NOAH owner out there who can help ?

Do I need a much older Win XP SP2 machine w/ nothing installed except Windows, then install software v1.0 1st in the hope to install the USB driver that way,- followed by flashing the machine in the hope to get (back) this "System" > "Device" setting called WINDOWS for USBcom and by flashing NOAH w/ higher firmware/OS ?

Or does the v1.0 NOT need the "Windows" setting for driver installation and works with one of the "Default" or "nonDefault" settings ?

Anyone knows ... before I ruin another computer´s installation or NOAH EX itself ?

Means:
I need a way to re-flash NOAH EX with or without USB connection and need knowledge about what "Default" and "nonDefault" means in "System" > "Device" > USBcom menue.

And I alos need to know if it is urgently necessary to iunstall v1.0 1st and before updating to v1.1.

thx in advance for any advise !

:)

Bud
mk_vip

Re: re-flash NOAH EX

Post by mk_vip »

Hi, Bud!
Bud Weiser wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:58 am Do I need a much older Win XP SP2 machine w/ nothing installed except Windows
No. I confirm that XP SP3 works fine with NOAH. There is no other special tweaks needed.

I reflashed/installed NOAH last time about 6 months ago and since then (I'm moving now) my NOAH packed in storage.

To make a firmware update, you should go to "Mini OS mode" in NOAH - Turn on Noah while holding the "Utility" button.
But you must have a USB driver already installed in the system before a flashing.

If you have a problems with the software v1.1, try to install drivers and software v 1.0 (to make a successful firmware upgrade).
Than you could reinstall software v1.1 and driver update.

v1.1 has an ASIO driver, but v1.0 has not.
garyb

Post by garyb »

better have the keyfile!
mk_vip

Post by mk_vip »

garyb wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:55 am better have the keyfile!
True, Gary.
Flashing the firmware will erase key file inside the NOAH's flash memory. Plugins will be encrypted and unavailable to use.
After that, the key file must be written again from the NOAH software.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

mk_vip wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:35 am Hi, Bud!
I confirm that XP SP3 works fine with NOAH. There is no other special tweaks needed.
Hi mk_vip !
Thank you for chiming in ...
mk_vip wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:35 am To make a firmware update, you should go to "Mini OS mode" in NOAH - Turn on Noah while holding the "Utility" button.
But you must have a USB driver already installed in the system before a flashing.
Then latter is the problem.
I was unable installing drivers from original v1.1 installation CD which I gotfrom my buddy who also owns a NOAH EX.

But now I read your line below ...
mk_vip wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:35 am
If you have a problems with the software v1.1, try to install drivers and software v 1.0 (to make a successful firmware upgrade).
Than you could reinstall software v1.1 and driver update.
O.k.,- I ´ll try that !

Leaves the question why I don´t see the for driver installation essential "Windows" setting in "System" > Device > USBcom menue.

Up to now,- my main issue is,- I only see 2 user selectable settings:

"Default" and "nonDefault"

So, which one is the correct setting for driver installation from v1.0 ?
I already burned a v1.0 CD.

thx again ...

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:55 am better have the keyfile!
Yes, thank you Gary,- I´ll never try to re-flash w/o the complete keyfile.

But actually I´m far away from flashing because I´m unable to install the USB driver at all.

I repeat myself,- but ...

When I read v1.1 instructions,- the USBcom setting "Windows" is urgently required !

But on my NOAH EX, I have only the USBcom options "Default" and "nonDefault" !
The "Windows" setting is missing completely.

So, which of the both possible settings shall I use when trying to install driver from v1.0.

I´ll request keyfile WHEN I had success installing a working USB driver.

B.t.w.,- I´d like to save my Noah EX system and content before I try anything again.
I got my buddy´s 64MB CompactFlash card he normally uses to store presets etc. when gigging ...
Is it possible to do a reliable dump of the entire machine to CF card, just only to get all back if something fails again ?
Is 64MB size enough ?
The card is FAT formatted,- I think that is what NOAH does.

Bud
mk_vip

Post by mk_vip »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:42 am installation essential "Windows" setting in "System" > Device > USBcom menue.

Up to now,- my main issue is,- I only see 2 user selectable settings:

"Default" and "nonDefault"
In my case there was 2 options (if I remember right) :
"Windows" or "Mac" USB protocol.
But I have v1.3.... firmware.
If your NOAH has v1.0 firmware now, it might be just different names of the same function: "Def" means Windows and "nonDef" means Mac.

There will be no damage for the system if you try both options when installing drivers.
mk_vip

Post by mk_vip »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:57 am B.t.w.,- I´d like to save my Noah EX system and content before I try anything again.
I got my buddy´s 64MB CompactFlash card he normally uses to store presets etc. when gigging ...
Is it possible to do a reliable dump of the entire machine to CF card, just only to get all back if something fails again ?
No. CF card is only for presets.
For other manipulations USB connection required.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

thx mk_vip !

It seems to be a firmaware issue on my NoahEX then.
My Noah´s system is v1.0 2003 - 5 - 6.
I already tried installing v1.1 drivers and Remote Editor software several times by using the "Default" and "nonDefault" settings alternately and a computer running WinXP Pro SP3,- which didn´t work and destroyed the WinXP DAW installation instead.

I´ll try installing v1.0 USB driver and editor program once I´ve set up another WinXP machine and will come back later.

Bud
mk_vip

Post by mk_vip »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:36 pm destroyed the WinXP DAW installation instead.
I have never had such a system behavior.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

mk_vip wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:21 am
Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:36 pm destroyed the WinXP DAW installation instead.
I have never had such a system behavior.
Noah Remote Editor software wants to install to C:/Noah ...
I wanted it in C:/Programme/Noah (I have german language WinXP Pro SP3 OS)

It installed into C:/Programme but obviously then skipped it´s folder named "Noah".

When I de-installed the v1.1 because it didn´t install the USB driver,- it wiped everything from "Programme" (en: programs) folder.
All NI Komplete 7 and every application and standalone plugin ever installed by using a installer.
I didn´t recognize early enough because I was out of the room for some minutes.

My WinXP SP3 32Bit DAW machine became unusable for me.
That´s why I have to set up another one just only for NOAH EX.

I come back later when done.

Bud
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Is NOAH showing in device manager?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

brookesy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:10 am Is NOAH showing in device manager?
It appeared in device manager w/ the yellow question marks and ironically I got a message "driver nor installed because file not found".

Can be I find time today, grab another old Win XP office machine in the hope it will run once powered up and then try to install drivers from v1.0,- and when that worked, update to v.1.1.

I´m actually unsure at which point a NOAH re-flash should be performed ...
I got all the keys from S|C support and can imagine I want Prodyssey and Profit-5.

S|C support was fast and excellent, as always,- and especially in this case where no one can expect any support anymore.
Thank you very much S|C !

Bud
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Hi Bud,
That's a good thing, ok. On the 1.1 CD, there is a folder in there named 'Drivers'
From device manager, right click 'properties' then driver tab. click 'update driver' click 'browse my computer for drivers' click 'let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' click 'Have Disk' point it towards the drivers folder on the CD. There's an INF file in that folder. Click that and you should be good to go. That should install the necessary drivers, NOAH Midi and NOAH Audio etc. You can then install the control software. If you need to re-flash, there is a great tutorial on here. You need to install the drivers and software in order to flash NOAH. I use a XP virtual machine to control NOAH and it works a treat.

Check this for further help. viewtopic.php?p=304495#p304495
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

brookesy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:36 am Hi Bud,
That's a good thing, ok. On the 1.1 CD, there is a folder in there named 'Drivers'
From device manager, right click 'properties' then driver tab. click 'update driver' click 'browse my computer for drivers' click 'let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' click 'Have Disk' point it towards the drivers folder on the CD. There's an INF file in that folder. Click that and you should be good to go. That should install the necessary drivers, NOAH Midi and NOAH Audio etc. You can then install the control software. If you need to re-flash, there is a great tutorial on here. You need to install the drivers and software in order to flash NOAH. I use a XP virtual machine to control NOAH and it works a treat.

Check this for further help. viewtopic.php?p=304495#p304495
Thank you very much for all the help.

Before the Noah Remote Editor installation/ de-installation rendered my WinXP DAW useless, I already tried manual driver installation from v1.1 files.
I dunno why it didn´t work though.
I guessed it´s the NOAH hardware USBcom options,- which are crippled in my NOAH EX.

So I´ll try from v1.0 using "Default" in Noah system > device > USBcom

Then we´ll see.

I just made a big wordpad and PDF from your advice and all the stuff in the other and older threads and hope it will help.

S|C support sent keys in sequences of letters and numbers for each, NOAH hardware, devices and Noah Remote Software.
There´s no .rgy and the previous owner of the NOAH EX lost everything he previously stored on his former computer.
So I hope, I can use these single keys too and/or am able to make a .rgy file w/ help of whatever application existing.
Is that possible ?

thx again ...

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
brookesy

Re: re-flash NOAH

Post by brookesy »

Hi Bud,
I'll get back to you tomorrow or Friday regarding bits and pieces for NOAH. Did you reset the NOAH? If not, i'll look into this for you as well.
My laptop's motherboard (that it was installed on) died on me a few weeks so I have to remember how I solved it because I had similar problems to you. I'll gather as much information as possible to get you up and running.
Regards
Brookesy
Bud Weiser

Re: re-flash NOAH

Post by Bud Weiser »

brookesy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 am Hi Bud,
I'll get back to you tomorrow or Friday regarding bits and pieces for NOAH. Did you reset the NOAH? If not, i'll look into this for you as well.
My laptop's motherboard (that it was installed on) died on me a few weeks so I have to remember how I solved it because I had similar problems to you. I'll gather as much information as possible to get you up and running.
Regards
Brookesy
That sounds too good to be true, man !

It seems, I cannot do much before weekend (saturday) anyway.
I have so many other things to do as well and for today it´s too late already.

When I tried the v1.0 drivers, I´ll report here.

I´m patient and I´ll do all slow and precise.
The NOAH EX plays and sounds great, it´s just only earliest firmware w/ some bugs (i guess because Sixstring can randomly and out of the blue turn note-ons to note-offs and vice versa) less devices and lacks the Remote Editor support up to now.

But my main interest is getting the most out of it near future, and w/o making it accidently a dumb brick.

´til later ...

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is only early firmware. i don't think there has been an update since 2005/6...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:01 pm there is only early firmware. i don't think there has been an update since 2005/6...
Hi Gary !

Mine is v1.0 2003 - 5 - 6 ... to me means may 6th, 2003 version 1.0,- no ?

IMO that´s the very 1st version for the released product,- but not prototype or pre-release.
My buddy owns a NOAH EX too,- and his firmware is somewhat 1.4.x IIRC.

But right,- firmware and driver- as also remote editor versions should not been mistaken !

Minutes ago, I´ve set up NOAH w/ another Win XP (Pentium 4) machine, but aaaargh ... battery empty, needs BIOS setting all new and being saved.
No battery in the house anymore,- I set up too many old computers ... :-?

I´ve to leave anyway and tomorrow different work the day over.

the weekend will be NOAH EX tinker time ... :lol:

thx for all

best

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

Noahs and ASBs do not always report the firmware version correctly.