Do I really need a new mixer?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

astroman

Re: Do I really need a new mixer?

Post by astroman »

Nice pictures, but the offer is misleading. These are „raw“ modules as bought from recycling (or whereever).
I‘m pleased to see the price increase, though (payed 50-100€ per module once) :D
Guessing from my own 5 pieces: they all worked with a nice tone (as mentioned in the offer), but not a single one was without extended noise. Which was easily resolved by exchanging caps.

For regular DI use you shorten each 2nd input to reduce the noisefloor induced by the open channel.
Most important: these boxes absolutely need a load of about 50-300 Ohm, they don‘t work on regular line inputs without distortion. Sound does change with load, so you may try different resistors for best results.
The true magic appears with headphones connected, afaik my AKG K501 are 120 Ohm impedance, a perfect match.
(that‘s why I want to mod one for line input as a monitoring device)
On the pictures you see the 2 amplifier-balance modules in the middle, bottom (with the 4 big caps) is power condidtioning, top is the impedance conversion module. If you unplug the latter you have access to the line input poles.
Notice the different mounting orientation of the output transformers to reduce crosstalk.

Keep switching PSUs away from these units.
There‘s often an ultra low current 40-80V high frequency AC noise passing the PSU filter which may damage the semiconductors. I had a couple of such failures that fortunately self-healed within some hours or days.
It‘s quite tricky due to the omnipresence of such PSUs and the ability of the HF to creep across lines.
(that‘s my guess from experience with a small 24V switching PSU and the damage on my 2 V676a mic preamps)

Long story short: the offer is an invitation to a full DIY job - you could just get the modules yourself.
They are difficult to google because there‘s a small battery cell with the same V357 code.
ps: the N324 broadcast PSU (mentioned in the offer) is a 7pound monster, capable of 100W power delivery.
Probably the most sophisticated non-switching design ever created.
GordonGekko

Post by GordonGekko »

oh, thank you so much. Without your help I might have bought these :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

You‘re welcome :)
I‘ve setup a V357 as headphone monitoring amp without the impedance converter stage for Scope 5.1 in Win-7 32bit.
My blue A16 is clocked by the Syncplate‘s BNC, while Scope is slaved to an Alesis BRC (required for VDAT remote control).
Atm the A16 receives the individual outs of a Kawai XD-5 and bass/guitar via another V357.

Subjective impression is that the bass is more present when using PC tracks for practice (compared to the Audient ID22 as main interface). The sound color is only marginally different between the 2 setups, but „orientation“ is eased sigificantly in the Scope version, transients seem more pronounced or call it soundstage or whatever...

I would have preferred a lighter Windoze, but the MPC Studio controller (a nice midi entry device) requires at least 7.
Btw the BRC-VDAT combo now works reliable, so I can track without mouse interaction any time - great system 8)
GordonGekko

Post by GordonGekko »

8)
and sorry for the threadjacking..