Windows 11

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

medway

Windows 11

Post by medway »

Any idea if v7 will be compatible with Windows 11?
dante

Re: Windows 11

Post by dante »

Doubt if anyone here has tested it. Email support & ask if Holger has. Likely it will work though.
valis

Post by valis »

I haven't read much that indicates anything affecting Scope would change drastically. The biggest issue is going to be platform support that also includes PCI support, as there's a few restrictions on CPU compatibility and motherboard implementation of things like TPM 1.2/2.0 support. In almost all cases, things can be made to work with the right EFI/BIOS settings but that might require a BIOS update in some cases.

I also wouldn't use the Win 11 preview to evaluate whether a machine will work, as they are making the hardware requirements more restrictive right now. The same goes for the tool that lets you know if your system is compatible, it currently will reject systems based on above criteria that can still be made to work on final retail.

On the plus side, they're making it 64bit only which should make the install a bit lighter for most of us. On the downside, the home version of the OS is a realtime installation from the internet at present, which is less than ideal for those on metered plans or with slow remote access.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I can see this becoming a real problem down the track.
I checked my 2 DAWs and neither are compatible with win 11, 'secure boot unsupported'.
We may be able to live with win 10 for some time to come but eventually we will need to upgrade, you can bet on it.
I see Win 10 is somewhat capable of a motherboard change without reinstall but will the scope drivers like it, who knows!
My PCs are choc full of apps, plugins, sample libraries and tools to rebuild would be a complete f*ck.
I might try a motherboard change on my second machine and see how that goes.
A complication with that machine is it is a 32bit win 10 PC, so I anticipate that will not likely go well with a win 11 upgrade even if I can get win 10 32bit working on a new Mobo.
Has anyone as yet looked into options for win 11 capable mobos with PCI/PCIe compatibility for scope cards?.
My current main PC has an MSI X58A-GD65 board which does not support secure boot.
Like death and taxes, this day was always coming.
maus
valis

Post by valis »

Win10 support end in 2025, they will exist in parallel and it’s the other (newer) machines in your workflows that will be used to yoke you into our cloudy digital futures…
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

SCOPE PCI and SCOPE XITE should run (standalone) on Linux in future.
Cockos Reaper does already and will improve by the time.

I´m already not happy w/ Win10, except for office purposes,- and I´ll try to avoid Win11 and all that cloud-crap as much as I can.

Back to the roots.
Again more carefully assorted hardware instruments instead native plugins, a DAW app for recording and editing audio/MIDI,- and SCOPE.

I don´t see why I´m not be able to make almost any music I like w/ such rig, especially not when we´d get 64Bit-improved sampleplayers w/ SCOPE 7.1.

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mk_vip

Post by mk_vip »

valis wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:48 pm Win10 support end in 2025
In my main machine I use Windows 10 LTSC 2019, and it will be supported by Microsoft until 2029 as it "Long-Term Servicing Channel" Windows 10 Enterprise version.
This system is faster than ordinary Win 10 Pro or Home in DAWs and even in games, as it has no Microsoft Store and Cortana inside the system.
More free ram to use and less cpu utilization.
valis

Post by valis »

Nice, now let's discuss how we can all access LTS versions without an enterprise contract so we can all benefit :)
fidox

Post by fidox »

Since this computer isn't my main audio workstation I have little played arround :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xmathUPqvc

Not sure what is now different beside windows version name :)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
valis

Post by valis »

LTSC would go beyond 2025, so looks like you're set :)
sodiumcycle

Post by sodiumcycle »

It works fine on Windows 11 for me. I am using an Asus B350 Prime motherboard with a Ryzen 3600 and the latest developer preview.

If any problems are encountered during install, install in 8.1 compatibility mode. Everything should work.
nitri

Post by nitri »

Linux please!!!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

With WSL (windows Subsystem for Linux) that might actually make sense now.
valis

Post by valis »

From a workflow standpoint WSL seems up to most tasks now, I wonder how it fares for audio under Windows hypervisor.
valis

Post by valis »

valis

Post by valis »

cortone

Post by cortone »

Some articles about building an ISO for Win11, including how to bypass TPM if your system doesn't support it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/cle ... windows-11

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/byp ... equirement
valis

Post by valis »

dawman

Post by dawman »

sodiumcycle wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:33 pm It works fine on Windows 11 for me. I am using an Asus B350 Prime motherboard with a Ryzen 3600 and the latest developer preview.

If any problems are encountered during install, install in 8.1 compatibility mode. Everything should work.

Good to know.
Does the B350 have a TPM module?
DavidWinters

Post by DavidWinters »

cortone wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 pm Some articles about building an ISO for Win11, including how to bypass TPM if your system doesn't support it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/cle ... windows-11

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/byp ... equirement
These are very informative articles that are shared here. Also I found this article online that might help how to open this file in Win 10.