Upgrade to Flexor III or not

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nebukadneser

Upgrade to Flexor III or not

Post by Nebukadneser »

Hello!

I have been sitting on the fence for 14 years now, considering to upgrade from Flexor 1.5 to 3 or not. So yesterday I decided to finally act and went to the S|C store. I am a typical preset user, and know little about modular patch making, but I like modular's distinctive sound and its possibilities for automation of multiple parameters for realtime tweaking.

Now that I did the installation, I am not quite sure what to expect. It seems that most of the patches that came with V3 already are there as part of the upgrade I did to V1.5. I downloaded the patch packages A...K from S|C. Am I right that the upgrade for the most part is about adding new modules, and not so much about a new library of patches and presets? Are there other sources for patches for Flexor III spesifically (that donæt require Modular 4)? I guess most new patches were released around the time of the launch of V3, which is back in 2006 ...

Neb
Joey

Re: Upgrade to Flexor III or not

Post by Joey »

I too have just bought Flexor 3. I'm in this different than you, because I like to build my own patches. Which is a bit of a learning curve, but in the end it's not that hard, as all synthesizers are basically built around the same concepts.
I agree that the presets are wonderful, although I don't know if they were already there in 1.5. I have been looking at the presets, too, but haven't yet found out how to use them.
But I can say the Flexor modules are really great stuff to build patches with, in some way they are easier to understand than the regular stuff.
So what am I trying to say? Well, er, I guess that Flexor is, old as it is, still a great buy, and that I hope you will get some satisfaction from using it.
valis

Post by valis »

Each version added a lot of additional content in terms of modules, additional tools to work around issues, and additional patches. The presets were created by 4-5 people within Adern over time, and constitute a good place to start with flexor but the real value of V3 is in the added tools for your own creations & modifications.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I installed Flexor 3 together w/ Scope XITE v7.0 latest build on my Win7 SP1 x64 machine and got BSOD when going thru the Adern patches.
Not all patches though, but at least one.
I couldn´t find out what it tried to load because it came so fast, but since then, I avoid loading the patches because I fear I might get in again.

Do I miss special DSP files for Win7 x64 or such ?

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

If it's a dsp file then reinstalling them should work, and simply going 1.x > 1.5 > 3.x and making sure the paths are correct will be the correct way, or just installing the version you have (ie, if you only have v3).

The bulk of flexor is built entirely with simple math modules that shouldn't give host error as you describe, as it's largely simple math that stays on the dsp chips. So it's unlikely to be Flexor placing a host burden that could cause a bsod, such as with intense PCI traffic or a device that communicates to the host in other ways for calculations. Certain delay products have issues for some so it might be other stock modules mixed with flexor, which you might especially find in say the user patches that come with flexor?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:54 pm If it's a dsp file then reinstalling them should work, ..., or just installing the version you have (ie, if you only have v3).
Yep, I directly bought Flexor v3 for my XITE-1 some time ago.
valis wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:54 pm ... Certain delay products have issues for some so it might be other stock modules mixed with flexor, which you might especially find in say the user patches that come with flexor?
The issue came w/ a patch from "Adern Flexor v3 patch packs" (a - k), downloadable from S|C server ...
http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1978&lg= ... /flexor_v3

It crashed so quick it was not possible recognizing what it tried to load.
So,- the main issue is, there´s no option sorting out these patch(es), put in a separate folder, than edit to prevent from future crashes.

Because it happened on a 64bit sytsem, I 1st thought it might be a sample or wavetable file, but (good idea !) a delay might cause that too.
The question is WHICH and how to remove when it crashes in a fraction of a second.

Unfortunately I don´t have Flexor v3 keys for PCI where I´d be able using SCOPE in a 32Bit environment and fix that issue.
I cannot remember the patch´s name,- and there´s a chance there might me more in the packs creating the issue on 64Bit systems.
For sure it didn´t happen w/ the same XITE-1, SCOPE 5.1 and on my former WinXP SP3 32Bit DAW.

Bud
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:18 am
valis wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:54 pm If it's a dsp file then reinstalling them should work, ..., or just installing the version you have (ie, if you only have v3).
Yep, I directly bought Flexor v3 for my XITE-1 some time ago.
valis wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:54 pm ... Certain delay products have issues for some so it might be other stock modules mixed with flexor, which you might especially find in say the user patches that come with flexor?
The issue came w/ a patch from "Adern Flexor v3 patch packs" (a - k), downloadable from S|C server ...
http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1978&lg= ... /flexor_v3

It crashed so quick it was not possible recognizing what it tried to load.
So,- the main issue is, there´s no option sorting out these patch(es), put in a separate folder, than edit to prevent from future crashes.

Because it happened on a 64bit sytsem, I 1st thought it might be a sample or wavetable file, but (good idea !) a delay might cause that too.
The question is WHICH and how to remove when it crashes in a fraction of a second.

Unfortunately I don´t have Flexor v3 keys for PCI where I´d be able using SCOPE in a 32Bit environment and fix that issue.
I cannot remember the patch´s name,- and there´s a chance there might me more in the packs creating the issue on 64Bit systems.
For sure it didn´t happen w/ the same XITE-1, SCOPE 5.1 and on my former WinXP SP3 32Bit DAW.

Bud
Check Xite tips. I’ve uploaded a list of what patches to avoid on 64bit. Those patches include the SampleOsc module which is what’s making them crash. 😊
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:44 am
Check Xite tips. I’ve uploaded a list of what patches to avoid on 64bit. Those patches include the SampleOsc module which is what’s making them crash. 😊
8)

cool !

thx a lot !

Bud