External (non-Scope) tools of our trade

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: External (non-Scope) tools of our trade

Post by valis »

Post anything you want, just saying I saw that on both sites and those were my thoughts. :)
dante

Post by dante »

Ok its the real NAMM they cancelled but I found this virtual one :

https://attend.believeinmusic.tv/

And it let me register so I guess its not restricted to industry folks like the real thang.... ( fanfare for the common man ) ! :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Coolio.
Like the Roland and the new BCR32.
dante

Post by dante »

Ok what am I missing here ? Obviously AKAI MPC and Maschine+ are leading the pack on standalone mobile production but the more I check out Versalab the harder it is to see why it wouldn’t knock em of thier perch - other than maybe learning curve.

https://youtu.be/_wIWfaN2ims
dante

Post by dante »

dawman

Post by dawman »

Learning curve on MPC and + is also steep.
Old Yamaha QX and QY series sequencers were simple in comparison.

VerseLab is a Karaoke machine for the WOKElings.
valis

Post by valis »

tbh that's my opinion of it as well. Roland hasn't had my interest much this decade, though I still love the classic sounds.

I like the maschine software ok, Push has the edge when it comes to managing complexity of a software interface with hardware as the extension. The hardware has my interest, but seems to need another gen to match the oomph of using it via desktop. Ie, global parameter lock style automation via realtime input would have me sold. Twist a transformer knob to morph between states sounds so much more fun than 'click the next loop' which is where we're currently at.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Oeksound Soothe has become indispensable to me. It's a dynamic resonance suppressor with an amazingly easy user interface. It allows me to use a lighter touch on EQ corrections and can also be a highly "surgical" problem solver.
In a world full of VSTs, mostly EQ and compression, it's really refreshing to have a tool that isn't trying to be an emulation of something else. I was immediately sold after trying out the demo.
https://oeksound.com/plugins/soothe2/
valis

Post by valis »

This might change Versalab’s usefulness quite a bit: https://ask.audio/articles/free-zenbeat ... selab-mv-1
spacef

Post by spacef »

For me it is definitely the logitech G13 and Razer programmable game pads.
For use with a daw mainly.
Not only because it can take basic shortcuts, but also can insert delay between keystrokes, record any suite of keys, etc etc.
The joystick is used to zoom in midi and audio tracks.
I never write my email anymore (it's in one of the buttons :-) )
Better than this would be the Elgato stream decks

Also the softube VC2A and Ozone Elements. Hard for me to do anything without those two.
Attachments
ozy.jpg
ozy.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
g13.jpg
g13.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 10520 times
Last edited by spacef on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Having so much fun in the studio now after discovering the holy trinity; Scope, Bitwig and Eurorack.

Comes together so nicely with all the routing and modulation capabilities in Bitwig and the Grid. I pretty much use modular for everything now because it is so quick and easy to patch things together, and only use synths for some preset surfing and an occasional pad.

Latest Eurorack module I got is the Joranalogue Generate 3 Through-zero multiphonic signal generator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzQjCIIowSc

Never had as much fun with an oscillator!
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Bitwig is the shit, and this thread is introducing me to new tools I should be using.
valis

Post by valis »

The BCR32 is still on my list, but for some reason SSL's UF8 caught my eye now as well.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/products/uf8

I gave up caring about the Mackie Control / Logic Control workflow years ago, and don't even use my APC40 or Push2 with Ableton in the ways that a typical DAW controller would be used. But the faders on that really appeal to me, for the same reason I enjoy my BCF2000 to this day (long throw, higher res, smooth movement).
valis

Post by valis »

valis

Post by valis »

I've used amphetamine (and its precursor Caffiene) on MacOS for years to disable computer & screen 'sleeping' while work. Both so I can step away without having to wait for things to 'wake up' again, and for situations where I might be using a machine in a way that doesn't give enough physical input (mouse/keyboard/HUI) to keep the machine's sleep states at bay.

Now Microsoft has added similar functionality to a PowerToys app called Awake (Powertoys was always a collection of apps, but its current incarnation 'seems' more integrated than before because there's a centralized config utility that comes with it). This can keep the computer awake and the screen awake, toggled independently so you can still let the screen sleep when input is idle if you want to.

In short, this app can do this without changing power profiles, simply via a tasktray toggle:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... toys/awake
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

!!!! Downloading and donating now. Thanks valis
valis

Post by valis »

Cool little ambient generators, and quite different than anything I've seen. The joystick one is what drew me in. Though I am a bit sad there's not midi input, the results are interesting enough to be useful somewhere I'm sure.
borg

Post by borg »

will check those 2mgt generators when I get my windows machine back (atOm has mine now), although the demo tracks sounded way too clean and new age to my taste.
I'm always amazed what paulstretch pulls out of its hat: https://xenakios.wordpress.com/paulxstretch-plugin/
In the same vein, https://www.audiobulb.com/Ambient.htm yields nice results. Been meaning to check out that Auxture sampler. Demo videos sound dope to me. Definitely more on the experimental/music concrete side.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
valis

Post by valis »

That Ambient Software Module you linked looks cool too. I can of course make 'new agey pads' with just about anything, so it's not so much the specific sounds that interest me but exploring novel workflows. Take the device from the 2MGT guy that does all the work for you, the only thing lacking is the ability to constrain it to a scale which would then make for easy export and bringing into paulstretch, for example.