STM Mixer Midi Out snapshot?

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

binaural

STM Mixer Midi Out snapshot?

Post by binaural »

Hey great fellow-scopers,

I'm thinking about getting my trusty old Yamaha 03D mixer back in service as a motorized fader controller. It's fully capable of doing that. I wonder though: will the STM mixer send out a snapshot of the fader that are allocated a Midi CC, so the 03D faders will jump to the correct faillures upon loading a project (or STM preset for that matter)?

I would hate to manually send the controller values for each fader out at the start of working on a project...

Thanks!

Jasper
garyb

Re: STM Mixer Midi Out snapshot?

Post by garyb »

it should if you have both input and output connected.

you cannot assign every control in a mixer to midi, however. there are only 128 ccs.

have you tried?
at0m

Re: STM Mixer Midi Out snapshot?

Post by at0m »

binaural wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:31 pm will the STM mixer send out a snapshot of the fader that are allocated a Midi CC, so the 03D faders will jump to the correct faillures upon loading a project (or STM preset for that matter)?
Hi,

STM like any Scope device sends out MIDI CC# for every assigned and changed value. On preset change, that means any control that is different to the previous value, any control that is updated. So it wouldn't send CC# that do not change value. Makes sense, that saves a lot of MIDI traffic on minor changes.

If Scope does not do that on project loading, it would do to load a preset with non common values, (say, '1', since'0' might be used by some) then revert to the actual state using a relevant preset. Depending on the amount of insert effects change between these 2 presets, this could take more or less time. It helps to get an STM preset that's close to the actual one in the project, since it will have all these effects already and they will not need to be removed then loaded again.

For practical use there's only ~120 MIDI CC# that can be loaded: some over 120 are reserved for all notes off message etc, but your 'controller' will have the same limitation. Also, most any Scope device can use only one MIDI channel per device. If your controller is hard-coded to certain channels and CC#, this could be problematic if your motorized mixer uses different MIDI channel for every audio track, for example.

Let us know how goes :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio