New DAW - system bits - FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLEDAW

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

New DAW - system bits - FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLEDAW

Post by dante »

Now just hope to fuck it works w/- XITE :roll: Otherwise keep old DAW separate & ADAT em together which I might to do anyway coz the new mobo has no PCI slots for the old Scope cards.
System Bits All
System Bits All
System.jpg (183.03 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
Last edited by dante on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
valis

Re: New DAW - system bits - now under construction

Post by valis »

Don't see why it wouldn't. I've got the same SSD & Ram, though my CPU is older (i7-8700K)
dawman

Post by dawman »

It’s the chipsets that’s are always the problem in my experience.
Intel C Series for Xeons seems to be picky, but consumer series X, and the H models have always worked for me.
B series not so good.

Should be a fierce system.
Congrats Dante
David

Post by David »

That cpu and chipset been working fine here for a year now
All will be good

A trio of tips
Place xite card in x1 slot closest to cpu to avoid sharing bandwidth with an m2 and be aware of where the m2 is placed as it can disable a sata port.
If connecting temp sensors becareful not to mistakenly connect one to the cmos jumper or you'll wonder why your bios keeps resetting :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

David wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:38 am That cpu and chipset been working fine here for a year now
All will be good

A trio of tips
Place xite card in x1 slot closest to cpu to avoid sharing bandwidth with an m2 and be aware of where the m2 is placed as it can disable a sata port.
If connecting temp sensors becareful not to mistakenly connect one to the cmos jumper or you'll wonder why your bios keeps resetting :)

All valid wise points David.

My favorite was a Blue PCI 3.0 16x slot.
It allows a 256 sample buffer @ 44.1k/6 msec. with no latency.
The numbers never matter to me.
It’s the real time MIDI CC’s and tight audio I seek.

On the Z97 boards that’s a direct to CPU connection.

Since Z97’s the 16x Slots stop at the PCH first but not noticeable from what I’ve seen.
Secret Test Kitchen

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

I really like that Silverstone case. I might just copy you on that. I looked it up. I like the swing out fan on the front for easy cleaning. I have a big old motherboard that I'm going to keep using. It's a full ATX. Looks like it will fit in this case.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Congrats on the new DAW System Dante! A killer CPU for sure.
dante

Post by dante »

Ladies and Gentlemen - may I introduce you to a favourite song of mine from 1985 - Mike and the Mechanics 'Silent Running' - coz that's what this mofo mobo is all about. I have it running with Native stuff and Zoom audio at the moment - downloading, transferring sample libraries and getting the native stuff up and running before I open up cases and transfer DSP peripherals (Scope & UAD come last).

But when I first switched it on I thought it wasn't firing up coz I could hear - - - - ?? wha... ?? .... NOTHING !!!!! NOTHING !!!! And its been on all last night so I'm assuming its running within temp spec, so the fan is running - it just makes no sound !

For years now I've been front ending my mic into the ZITE-1D analog inputs then feeding through the DAS C350L using its noise gate to cut noise out of the silence between vocal lines.

With this setup I'm now thinking I wont need the gate (assuming the fan noise from the old clunker constitutes the entire noise floor). But I'm pleased so far no doubt !
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Nice. I splashed extra money for a Be Quiet tower and power supply a few years ago. Should have done it sooner, lower ambient noise floor is the tits!
dante

Re: New DAW - system bits - now a FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLEDAW !

Post by dante »

Thanks Gary for pointing me to the right keyfile - Scope XITE-1D and UAD2 cards now working, and the whole thing in Rack !
New Gigabyte DAW with all DSP 8 Core<br /><br />New Gigabyte DAW
New Gigabyte DAW with all DSP 8 Core

New Gigabyte DAW
IMG_4324.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 5279 times
So confirm XITE-1D works with Intel Z390 / i9-9900 ( 8 cores) combo !
dante

Re: New DAW - system bits - FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLEDAW

Post by dante »

valis

Post by valis »

Nice and clean. Compared to my 1987-2005 era machines, it's amazing how minimal computing is inside of any reasonably sized case now.
Secret Test Kitchen

Dante, what PC configuration are you using for your cards, and how do you connect the two machines together now that you have two PC's?
dante

Post by dante »

Well, on both PC's - rack mounted - I have Win10 x64. On new DAW I have XITE-1D Scope 7 and on old DAW I have Scope 7 Pulsar 2 + Luna 2 + Luna 2 (total 12 DSP). All were running at 96Khz. But now the 2 are not connected together.

On Old DAW I was using Scope XITE to run proWave and DAS C350L. Scope PCI cards were running mainly proTone & occasionally Modular or another synth, connected via ADAT to the Scope XITE-1D.

Before I had the UAD2 I was running mastering plugs as well as the proWave on the XITE-1D - so limited polyphony on the proWave to 4. But when mastering has been offloaded to the UAD2 card, I ran proWave at polyphony 6 - and now, without the PCI cards engaged, I reduced proWave polyphony to 4 and added a proTone at polyphony 2. Hence now not needing the disengaged PCIe cards for proTone.

I've loaded up MixBus32C with Roundabout ( my first project on the new system) - so now the various loads look as follows

Scope project with DSP loads from both DSP farms
Scope project with DSP loads from both DSP farms
Scope-pic.jpg (311.34 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
Last edited by dante on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
dante

Post by dante »

And the Harrison DSP load shown above at 45% is running the following Harrison 32C Roundabout session, with Mastering plugs (right), some plugs like UAD2 Guitar amps and BIAS-FX Amps running on the busses 1 - 9 and send effects on busses 10-12 eg the Lex and the Cooper Time Cube (echo produced by coiled garden hoses apparantly)

Bottom line - the old i7-4790 DAW I now consider a 2nd standalone DAW which could run a complete Scope mix and some synths ( on 12 DSP) at 44.1 Khz on Cubase (which I still have a license for after switching to Reason.)

Harrison with UAD DSP engaged
Harrison with UAD DSP engaged
Harrison-pic.jpg (598.73 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
Last edited by dante on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Test Kitchen

That's an inspiring setup! I use my X-ITE for everything now but I still have some cards that I would like to use again. I was thinking of having those in a 32bit OS (probably W7) and connecting with a digital out, to the X-ITE. I might just get two of those Silverstone cases. I'm happy with the mobo's I have but have (have some good older spares), but I always wanted to rackmount my case, especially if I end up with two PC's.
dante

Post by dante »

The only slight issue I had with the Silverstone was the front handles obscure the rack mount screw holes (see above pic for positioning) so its a bit tricky screwing in the rack mount screws (you need a long thin Phillips Head). Other than that, its the bomb !
Jez

Post by Jez »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Dante!

Inspired by Dante's 'battledaw', and hats off because it saved me - wasn't sure a rack case was a good idea (all the pc builders recommended against), didn't know which cooler to buy etc, until I saw this post. Thought the timing was right as I think the Asus H370-plus is about the last common board with conventional PCI (with a chipset that has known good performance) so decided to upgrade from a 200X machine with a dodgy bios to give my beloved boards another 20-odd years.

Similar config to DANTE but combining 2 PowerPulsar (I think they were called back in the day) boards with Xite on the same box.

Couldn't justify the i9 so gone with an i7, and going with integrated graphics for now as it is just for music.

What really blew my mind, is that I installed the software for Xite and the scope cards (communicating via ADAT), then merged the install directories from my old box into the new ones, copied Reaper projects over, fired up Xite and Scope apps and Reaper and the whole thing JUST WORKED STRAIGHT AWAY! Literally loaded my whole rather complex setup, lots of synths, effects, routing in and out of Reaper. All in all, it took me about 4 hours to build the PC, install Windows, and get music out of Scope.

After 20 years my Scope stuff still brings the joy it brought when I first got it. Touch wood, but rock solid so far and oh so responsive.
IMG_20200625_234250_resized_20200625_114332633.jpg
IMG_20200625_234250_resized_20200625_114332633.jpg (658.8 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
dante

Post by dante »

WOW ! Looks awesome. So same case ! Dont know why anyone would want to talk you out of rack mount - those PC builders are obviously not musically inclined and maybe never went to a live rock gig in their lifes - even many DJ's have racks these daze. Even an i7 should give the grunt and if you got M2 SSD's those will give an important boost. Great that you got the 2 Scope cards AND Xite cards running in the one system. What sample rate u running ?

This is a benchmark Scope system for sure. Report back on its power, fan silence and post a tune recorded therein
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 pm WOW ! Looks awesome. So same case ! Dont know why anyone would want to talk you out of rack mount - those PC builders are obviously not musically inclined and maybe never went to a live rock gig in their lifes - even many DJ's have racks these daze. Even an i7 should give the grunt and if you got M2 SSD's those will give an important boost. Great that you got the 2 Scope cards AND Xite cards running in the one system. What sample rate u running ?

This is a benchmark Scope system for sure. Report back on its power, fan silence and post a tune recorded therein
Yes, looks great,- and also for me, it might become interesting combining SCOPE XITE and 1 SCOPE PCI (15DSP = Power Pulsar ?) inside the same machine too.
Nonetheless I´m a bit sceptical about true bandwidth via PCI slots.

Beside ASUS H370 isn´t the last mainboard offering 2 PCI slots,- I don´t recognize the H370 chipset supports native PCI at all.
So I guess, it´s PCI to PCIe bridge.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de/de ... ipset.html
There´s no word about PCI support.

The other example:
(For me) there are 3 Supermicro socket 1151 mainboards available, each w/ 2 PCI slots too and C236 chipset ...
https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Mai ... l/129/7054
And 1 w/ 4 PCI ... https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Mai ... l/129/7056
At least chipset tech specs tell the truth ... "Expansion options > PCI support: NO"
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ipset.html

It would be extremely welcome when it really works great w/ H370,- but I´d like to see at least a masterverb test w/ a single PCI card in each slot and at a time and w/ this ASUS Prime H370, SCOPE XITE/ SCOPE PCI combo,- just only to see what to be expected from every single PCI slot.

:)

Bud