Behringer DCX 2496 & DBX Drive Rack PA2

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Behringer DCX 2496 & DBX Drive Rack PA2

Post by dawman »

I recently played my XITE-1 Through a DCX via AES from the XITE-1.
On my cheapest smallest rig I really liked the results.
The entire image was improved and obviously the Sub that was never impress was tight and powerful.
Before it was just part of the sound and worked fine, but with the DCX it really thumped and my guess was the crossover used.
It was an emulation of a Butterworth which Im clueless to other than pancake syrup.

But this is done on an older SHARC DSP inside the unit.

It made me think why cant my DSPs do this.

I want to use both analog outs of the XITE-1 for the 8 inch cabinets, and AES Out to a small converter to the Sub.

How could I do this, and could I use devices we already have or would Modular be better?

And if anyone wants to build something like this I got money.
I could easily buy the DCX, even get modifications that are suppose to be so good. Would cost with the mods about 600 bucks.

I just like the efficiency of space owning an XITE-1 and I barely use the power on offer.

Ankyu
valis

Re: Behringer DCX 2496 & DBX Drive Rack PA2

Post by valis »

You can do this with normal stuff you already own, as Loudspeaker management includes a lot of things, but most typically it's just:

Feedback eliminator (not something your rig needs)
Parametric/Graphic EQ's (you have this in spades, but note that these can sometimes be implemented on each output channel for a speaker management system)
Subharmonic Synthesis ("big bottom" etc)

Compression (you know what this is). In this case, this can also be 'per output', 'per input' or multiband (depends on the speaker management system)
Crossover network (split frequencies to separate speakers, duh, like subs > midpacks > highs)
More EQ's
Limiters (per output or slapped across the whole unit)
driver alignment delay

-----------------------------------

Compression, well you know how to use this. Put it on each device's input to your rig, or synth into the mixer etc. Be judicious or make it pump, up to you.

EQ before compression? Compressor reacts to EQ. After? Then it will not affect compressor as much. Presume you know this.

Using limiters per output is only sensible for an engineer that really knows their gear. Otherwise you can have highs smacking when they should be subtle and so on, so I would stick with a single stereo (or 4 channel, if that's your mode) limiter across your mix, per usual.

As far as crossovers go, most of the monitoring you use would account for this already, though removing more low end from your IK MUltimedia speakers would allow them to go louder for instance.

------------------------------------

Now, all that being said, give OptiMaster a shot.
Try the Wizard function...using material you would normally play while it's 'wizarding'.
dawman

Re: Behringer DCX 2496 & DBX Drive Rack PA2

Post by dawman »

I’ll start trying things out after the gigs this week.
Should be fun