best laptop for content writing?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

lulu

best laptop for content writing?

Post by lulu »

hey guys, just like the title says. I'm looking for a cheap laptop that can get me by a sort of crucial time in my life. I have been offered a mere job at a very low quality website. I don't have a personal computer right now and I was looking to get a new one. I have around a maximum of 370$ from savings. I just want something on which I can browse web, write articles. And that's pretty much it. I saw these type of articles but nothing seems to have an option below 400$. I really need to start that job as I am really running low on even food supplies. What do you guys suggest?
al_bot

Re: best laptop for content writing?

Post by al_bot »

a chromebook? https://www.google.com/chromebook/
$180 - $999

i write in google docs and sheets most of time.
Photoediting i use photopea.com or chrome plugin.
i ike notepad++ on pc. i think they have one for chrome
valis

Post by valis »

You can find chromebooks as low as $80 on sale, keep your eyes peeled on woot.com and dealsites like lilliputing.com's deals, arstechnica dealmaster and so on:

https://liliputing.com/2019/10/daily-de ... -2019.html
at0m

Post by at0m »

something second hand? does it need to be a laptop?

how about and rpi3 or rpi4? if for website work, i suppose that's some LAMP stack, you can mirror such on the rpi's. if i may recommend raspbian, it's got great support. all my machines run debian, except for the daw.

my current daw is an old amd athlon. a friend threw it out many years ago. got that one for free. i suppose office style pc's with core2duo's or early i3/5 would come well within your budget, too. people worked on websites and stuff 20y ago, too.

ps; you realize this is a support forum for Sonic Core DSP cards? nothing in your posts tells me you're using these..
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Suredolik

Post by Suredolik »

It can be any laptop of average quality. The main thing about choosing a good manufacturer is that they still have some authority in the world and are trusted in terms of their quality. I know that good laptop from Samsung, Asus, Lenovo, Dell. I would take a closer look at those brands if I were you. But I would reinsure the safety of some of the files you need for work. Since laptops often break down, and even more so the average quality, you have to be prepared that the documents need to be restored. I know that there are firms that do this. For example, this salvagedata.com will help you restore working files and documents. So in your case, you should think several steps ahead because anything can happen.
Last edited by Suredolik on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
valis

Post by valis »

Suredolik wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:07 pm It can be any laptop of average quality. The main thing about choosing a good manufacturer is that they still have some authority in the world and are trusted in terms of their quality.
Why hello fellow bot! I shall be awaiting your post with an actual link, this seems like it's just a shot over our bow. Very pleased to make your acquaintance!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

This ai/human being interaction thread is as surreal as blade runner.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

You can find used (or refurbed) Lenovo workstation laptops in very good condition for $/ EUR 300 - 400,-.
W540 or 541 w/ 4th/ 5th gen Intel i7 quad core, 16GB RAM, SSD (typical 240GB system drive).
These are real workhorses w/ good cooling, rugged keyboard and UEFI (BIOS) is very tweakable.
Pairs of USB2, USB3, w/ luck 1 Thunderbolt and/or USB-C and a PCIexpresscardslot34, cardreader, fingerprint, trackpad, camera, kensington lock.

I´ve found 1 in excellent condition, Win10 Pro x64, Win7 home premium x64 and good bag included,- for EUR 360,- incl. shipping.

You can do almost everything w/ these,- music via ASIO4All and/or Scope/XITE w/ expresscard34.

I bought it somewhere last year and it runs all day in my livingroom,- I´m typing this post on it a.t.m..

I´ve put the optical drive into an ext. USB3 case and added a caddy for SSD #2 (Crucial MX500) in that slot.
Works like a charme !
My office machine (midi-tower/ Intel i3 3.6GHz quad) is now rarely used.

For picture editing I curently use GIMP 2.10.30 and Mihov Image Resizer.
The other is more or less standard,- Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox w/ YT Downloader Express, Opera (VPN), VLC Player, PDF Viewer, PDF Creator / Architect, CDBurnerXP, IrvanView64, Audioextractor64, Handbrake video converter.

For music - ASIO4ALL and Scope (alternately,- because I use the XITE also w/ my rackmount DAW),- lots of native plugins, Reaper.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Old thread Bud, but appreciate the useful info as always!

We are pushing 30GB+ a day again with bot attacks, and it looks like we're on track to use 1TB this month from this forum. I had it on my list to dig in over the weekend but client concerns ate 2 days. If things blip off before I get there, just know I need to reset a few things to avoid the bandwidth overage message (it's a server setting and not my provider, in place on purpose in case of catastrophic levels of bandwidth usage).