Best mobo and cpu combo

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

haba

Re: Best mobo and cpu combo

Post by haba »

OK, I understand. Thanks Gary! I have here some Isopropanol... ok?
valis

Post by valis »

Caig De-Oxit 100% iss my preferred cleaner. Isoprobyl Alchohol should be 99% or higher if you opt to go that route...
garyb

Post by garyb »

no deoxit for that purpose, however. it has lube in it.
otherwise, it's the best.

for cleaning a simple iso-hexane or similar cleaner would be best. it would cut right through any heat sink compound.
valis

Post by valis »

De-Oxit 100% has no lube, unless I'm mistaken. However I did misread. I had several posts open and thought this was a thread where he was asking about cleaning the PCI contacts (had lost the original context for a moment). Since he's talking about a CPU, I agree completely about not using De-Oxit! While 100% has no oil, it also won't remove thermal paste--and so that's my humorous mistake for misreading :)

Also I used to buy my CPU paste cleaners in bulk at the hardware store (goo-gone & 100% acetone for final clean), but will admit I'm lazy in my elder years and tend just order some ArctiClean from Amazon or Newegg (which is the same thing repackaged).
haba

Post by haba »

You were right vallis. I had the PC on a local store who do service and they did a bios update. Bios is working. I have to do now the windows install ....thank you so much, you were a great help. haba
valis

Post by valis »

Glad to help :)
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Would this setup do for a new audio pc for my 3 x Pulsar II cards? The mainboard seems to be entry level, but has 3 pci slots. The processor is 9th generation and generates little heat.:

Processor: i3 9100f
Mainboard: asus prime H310 plus
Ram: 8gb
Gfx: Rx 570 (approx. gtx 970 / gtx 1060)
Ssd: 240gb (Ny!)
Power supply: 450w (Ny!)
Kabinett: Cylon

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Compo ... H310-PLUS/

Neb
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, but it depends on what you do.
i don't see much reason for a dual space graphics card, it it's an audio machine, but....
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

It is a machine that is sold as an «excellent gaming machine». I consider buying a pre configured system where some knowledgeable guy has put together components that match eachother. So it is a gaming system :) that I believe will also work as a DAW. I will ask for 16gb ram and 1tb SSD.

Neb
valis

Post by valis »

Not sure about excellent, though it would serve my children fine at 1080p & below. And I agree with GaryB that it depends on what you want to do...

For gaming, the Mainboard is entry level and the i3 is a small guy in terms of performance. 8GB ram is a bit light. 570 is overkill for that system, the i3 would barely keep it fed and 8GB ram is not enough to keep gaming elements cached. The power supply is enough if you only use that system for audio, but not for longevcity. And while it is technically enough of a PSU to game as that machine is specced, one would probably find themselves upgrading the CPU, RAM, adding additional drives, and possibly a GPU upgrade to keep up with the latest games. It's at that point the PSU will start to show issues, most likely just in terms of mainboard instability (especially with Scope cards).

Now let's presume you don't really want to game on that rig and will just do audio, if you're moving from a Core2 era machine then you'll find that a RAM bump down the road will help and will probably be satisfied with the performance. The longevity of that PSU would still be my concern, and you'll almost certainly expand the SSD or at least add additional drives.

Now, as a dedicated Scope machine, I would still back gary's questioning of the GPU as you don't need that kind of GPU power for Scope and most audio software. But as a dedicated Scope machine alongside a different DAW machine (or laptop) this is actually almost ideal (drop the GPU to a 1050 or so in a single slot form, and you'll have a great dedicated config).
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

The main use for the new machine will be music making with ableton live suite 10. I reach the cpu limit today when activating NI sample libraries and Waves plugins. The machine will be yet another attempt to customise Scope project and Scope power for Ableton live. The i3 may be a bottleneck as far as cpu hungry plugins are concerned. Still, i guess it will be a significant improvent over the dual core from 2008.

I also have 2 laptops running Ableton, one an xp box centered around Creamware Noah :) running Ableton 8. The other a more modern machine.

Neb
valis

Post by valis »

Yes, a big gain over core2 for sure. Can they up the PSU to a better model that's also Gold or Silver for efficiency? The rest is no major loss when upgrading but the PSU is pretty integral to a build. 10% for capacitor aging per year and gold or silver so it runs well when not under a full load, and beyond that you can check anandtech/toms for power stats (some clamp better than others at a lower load) or barring that check http://www.jonnyguru.com/
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Well, my previously described attempt to buy a readily set up computer failed. I ended up bying a new motherboard off Ebay, shipped from US to Norway. So I better start assembling the other component for my new 3 x PCI set up.

and

Neb / Bergen
dawman

Post by dawman »

After two poor choices of 6 core and 8 core CPUs (wanted a fast quad) it seems the AMD 5600G has won the day.

Don’t like latency from high core counts, but AMD redesigned their cache and have disabled 2 cores of an 8 core APU/CPU, while keeping the cache size of the 8 core.

My i7 4790Ks (2) have been the best choice for 6 years.
8086K was powerful, loaded lots of instances of VSTs, but latency for real time stacking/layering had note stealing and drop outs that became intolerable. Even worse with the 9000 series Octo core.

Best CPUs for my Scope/VST needs were i7 4790Ks and my sons 7700K.

But this “value” CPU due out in August will be fantastic.
I know this because the 5600X is rocking my buddies rig, but he had to buy a graphics card and drag along a tower.
I need 1Us not towers.

Endless layering of waveforms and real time parameter modulations, automated FX, and boatloads of loaded samples will be most welcome.

Will share in August.
ikemhla

Post by ikemhla »

Hi,

I have been using the Gigabyte GA 85-P3 Gaming Motherboard since it was released.
I ve had no problems with it from Win XP via Win 7 to win 10.

I only started to have problems when I upgraded to Scope 7.
Problems are related to SC Reverbs That trigger DSP overloads.
As long as I keep away from those Im ok.

They say if iy aint broke dont fix it. I never dared to upgrade the bios to the Window 10 version.
Maybe that is part of the problem.
The old reverbs like Master Verb Pro work well and I can load up to 13 instances without triggering adversities.

It is an 1150 board.

The only other pluggin that triggers problems is the Scope SBC.

Maybe this might be of use to someone.

Regards

Ike